cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to Dinghy Towing

Gnome1
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee, but wonder what all I will need to so that. (toe bar, base plate, etc) And also what I'm looking at for start up cost.

Thank you so much for your comments
11 REPLIES 11

ANewTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Heisenberg -

Trop - I thought of that but was concerned about it falling and causing real damage as it might get wedged between under carriage and road... not sure but maybe I can install a hook to the floor where it is bolted and couldn't slip backward to fall out of trans - thanks

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
t36 ... It can be done on a GMC pickup. I do not know about the clearances on the Grand Cherokee. I cinched mine up tight to make sure I didn't lose it. After replacing the seal I wondered if the cinch job stressed the seal causing the leak.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
ANewTraveler wrote:
Do I have to worry about the trans fluid leaking out when I pull the yoke out of trans?

Can't you just tie the shaft up underneath somewhere. Maybe make a sling of sorts for it?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
ANT ... I do not think so, mine was a GMC. However you will need to keep it clean on both ends. The output seal on my pickup began to leak after a couple of years. It was an easy fix but I began covering the opening with a rag and wiping the spline before inserting the driveline.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

ANewTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Do I have to worry about the trans fluid leaking out when I pull the yoke out of trans?

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
ANT ... You need to take a punch and mark the shaft joint and rear end joint before removal so that you put them back the same each time. You risk an unbalanced shaft if you put the joints back 180 degrees out. You will get tired of removing the shaft and will be in the market for a remco pump or a different vehicle. Have fun!
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

ANewTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I have a rear 2 wheel drive on my 2004 jeep grand Cherokee - I was told that I could pull the drive shaft off the back near differential and pull from trans to carry it and put back on when destination reached, As far as anyone knows - is that true? anything I need to watch for ( other than the little work involved in removing and installing the shaft?

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can go HERE and get a good estimate for everything you need. Again, you will be looking at (1) Base Plate, (2) Tow Bar, (3) Light system, and (4) Brake system.

There are not only other manufactures of these products but also many dealers that have lower prices than the manufactures do. If you are up to "used" products, you can also check out eBay and Craigslist.

Hope this helps

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to check the "Recreational Towing" section of your manual to make sure the drive train you have can be towed 4-down.
Roaming Full Timer

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Just a reminder from Jeep.

"Only vehicles equipped with the Quadra-Trac II/ Quadra-Drive II systems can be towed four wheels down."
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Tow bar, brackets, lights and auxilary braking device, will run about $2000.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker