cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Trailer gives a Harsh Ride!!

js415
Explorer
Explorer
I have been towing a 2014 Coachmen Travel trailer for the last 4 years with my Chevy 2500HD and have for the most part enjoyed a fairly smooth ride.

The Coachmen weighs in empty at 6400lbs, so probably around 7400lbs or so loaded.

Whether on interstates or side roads, we have always had a smooth ride.

Yesterday I picked up our new Heritage Glen travel trailer. This one weighs in at 8500lbs empty. So it's about 2000lbs more than the other.

I used my same Equalizer brand hitch and we set it up at the dealer. Basically the height was almost the same, so very little setup was needed.

With the trailer loaded, the rear of my truck only dropped 2" from its unloaded height.

It pulled just fine,, although I could tell the extra weight was there.

What was not expected was the harshness of the ride. I could feel every bump and crack in the interstate. Every joint I hit seemed to just "jar" the truck.

Not sure if this is what I should expect, or maybe there might be a few folks with some suggestions on improving the ride. I only drove it home, about 60 miles, so not a lot miles on this setup.

Thanks,

Jerry
11 REPLIES 11

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Harsh ride to me sounds like hitch weight is too low. A trailer near balanced is going to Jerk up and down on the hitch. Our 32.5' TT tows much smoother than our previous 5th wheel. It should ride smooth.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
The hitch sounds right to me, maybe it needs to be tightened up 1 notch. I just kind of think the hitch isn't doing what it should.
Brian

js415
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.
Here are a few facts to study on. It's going to be a couple of weeks until I can get to the scales for actual weights.

I have an Equal-I-Zer brand 4-way WD hitch. It is the 12000lb model, with 1200lb bars.

I weighed the truck last week with an empty bed, full fuel tank, and just myself. I weighed in at exactly 7100lbs. I figure with my wife inside, some firewood, coolers, grills, etc., I'm going to be at 8000lbs.

Factory specs on my truck show 12,000lbs trailer weight, 1500lbs tongue weight, and Gross combined max of 22,000lbs.

Truck and full trailer are going to be right at 18,000lbs.

Truck tires are rated at 85PSI max, but I only have them around 60 right now.

Stated tongue weight from factory is right at 850-900lbs. I have not weighed mine to get an exact weight yet. Not even sure I have a way to do it at home.

We have a trip next weekend about 2 hours down the road. I'll get a chance to weigh it then, and get a better feeling once it's loaded.

Thanks,

Jerry

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
A trip to a weigh station after the trailer is stocked is mandatory. Unitl you have actual weights of the trailer, tongue weight, truck loaded and empty, everything here is just pure speculation.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Your weight distribution bars may be rated to 800 or 1000 lbs. The new trailer is probably at high end or over.

I would suggest new bars. I went to 1400 lb bars after weighing my tongue weight. It made a difference, and I also added slightly more angle with my heavier trailer.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is that the equalizer hitch may not be a match for your new rig. Make sure it's specked out for the size and weight. You should get a smooth ride.
Brian

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
What is your tongue weight percentage?

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds perfectly normal to me. Yes, when towing a heavier trailer, you are going to feel every crack in the road. This is THE reason why I quit driving Interstates, especially in Indiana that has very bad expansion joints at bridges, road construction that leaves roads a mess, uneven lanes, pot holes, and everything else. Amazing, back country roads in Indiana are smoother than almost any Interstate in Indiana.

The heavier weight on your truck??? yes.... you will now discover why you see 18 wheeler truck parts laying all along the Interstate ditches.

js415
Explorer
Explorer
New trailer was towed home empty.

No water, waste, supplies, nothing. Bone stock empty.

Maybe a little weight will help the springs cushion down some.....

Jerry

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Was new trailer towed home 'empty' OR did you trade in old trailer and transfer all stuff to new trailer?

Heavier trailer towed empty.....stiffer springs....harsher ride.

Leaf springs are smoother when 'loaded'
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Chevy 2500HD and my camper weighs in close to 9,000Lbs. loaded. I have a very smooth ride although like you, I know there's a 9,000Lb brick behind me. I don't think it's your camper weight. The 2500HD is plenty of truck for the camper you have. I'm no expert but I would make sure my truck tires are properly inflated, my weight distribution is correct and my tongue weight is within the acceptable range.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.