cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Truck = Bigger Receiver = Unexpected Problem

rctoyguy
Explorer
Explorer
this past weekend I traded my '15 Ram 1500 for a '13 Ram 2500. I have now discovered that this 2500 has a much larger receiver than my 1500 did. (it's also larger than my brother's '12 Ram 2500) - I think I have found that this truck's hitch is a Class V... All great,

EXCEPT...

My WDH for my travel trailer is now too small for my truck:

I know that I can get an "adapter" that is basically a square tube that fits over the hitch and into the receiver to make up the difference.
Is this a safe way to go, or do I need to replace my WDH?

If it really is worth the money difference (to replace WDH ~$?? instead of using the adapter ~$30) - can't I just replace the part of the WDH that goes into the receiver and not have to replace the entire thing? It's going to have to be reconfigured/adjusted/setup anyway for the new truck anyway.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 CC CTD
B&W Patriot 16K
2017 Forest River Surveyor 299RLOK
50 REPLIES 50

COnative
Explorer II
Explorer II
My adapter sleeve was in bubble wrap under the passenger seat.
2014 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Mega
2021 Lance 865
05 StarCraft Homestead Rancher 29BHTS 5er
Pullrite Slider hitch
Champion Remote Start 3100 Watt Inverter Gen Set
Champion 2000 watt inverter Gen Set
All torklift

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes you need to use the WD bars and adjust them to bring the weight lost from the front axle back to what it is without the trailer hooked up. In other words, you need to adjust it to bring the front measurement back to 39 inches. Don't worry about what the rear measurement is.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

rctoyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Now I'm wondering if I need to hook up the bars anyway, with very little tension. I looked over the install instructions for this hitch again, and it says:
Rating when used as a weight distributing hitch with spring bars:
tongue weight 1000
max gross trailer weight 10,000

Rating when used as a weight carrying hitch without spring bars:
tongue weight 500 (I'm over that)
max gross trailer weight 5,000 (I'm over that too)

Hoped I could get away without hooking up the bars, but maybe I can't.
B&W Patriot 16K

Frostbitte
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty sure your truck should come with the adapter.
I know the newer 3500 RAM I rented last November had the adapter under the bench seat in the back.
2011 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 6.7 Cummins 6-speed Auto 4.10
2004 Prowler 275 CKS (Sold)
2014 Sabre 36QBOK-7 5th wheel
2016 Forest River 8 x 20 Cargo Trailer

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn't appear that you need the weight distribution spring bars hooked up. Your truck appears to have plenty of rear spring rate to hold up the hitch weight just fine on it's own.

It is advisable to connect the sway control bar though, since the trailer has lots of sail area.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

rctoyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Another update... Should I start another thread since this is getting away from the original post question?

Gave up on finding a class 5 shank locally. I knew I needed to lower the hitch to the lowest position on this shank, so I did, and it really isn't low enough so I plan to pick up a longer drop shank in the morning (I did find them close by, but I'll still have to use the sleeve) so that I can lower the hitch another notch.

New question - take a look at these measurements and pictures:

With no weight on the truck:
Front wheelwells measure 39"
Rear wheelwells measure 42 1/2"

With trailer attached, and no bars hooked up
Front wheelwells measure 39 1/4"
Rear wheelwells measure 40 3/8"

So with no weight distributing bars hooked up, I have 1/4" rise in the front, and 2 1/4" drop in the rear

SO - do I even need to hook the bars up? The only thing they would do is throw more weight to the front, correct? and if I understand correctly, I'm almost ideal on the front now.

The truck is very close to level, but the trailer is a little nose high (that's why I think I need to lower the hitch more).

Does this sound right? I mean, if I'm not using the bars the only advantage to using this WDH is that I can still hook up the sway control since it's the type that doesn't work with the bars..

B&W Patriot 16K

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
rctoyguy wrote:
Maybe a stupid question - is a WDH even needed in my situation? Looks like a class 5 hitch is rated for 20,000 with a 2000 tongue weight. This campers max weight is 6900.

You might be able to get by without a WDH, but the weight transfer to the steering axle will improve safety.

rctoyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe a stupid question - is a WDH even needed in my situation? Looks like a class 5 hitch is rated for 20,000 with a 2000 tongue weight. This campers max weight is 6900.
B&W Patriot 16K

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not all WDH heads are the same. Some have washers. Some have a notched ratchet arrangement. Some have an eccentric hex thingamabob that controls head angle.

Your best instructions are the head itself: Look at how it is now and put the head back together the same way it came apart.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
The set screws and washers hold the angle. The big bolts hold the head onto the shank.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

rctoyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I found the instructions, but they are not great. Where do the washers go? Don't the 2 bolts that go through the hitch head and shank (torqued to 260 ft-lbs) hold the angle anyway? It looks like there are 2 "setscrews" that adjust the tilt, but maybe they are just to hold while you are adjusting and the 2 heavy bolts that get torqued down are what really do the holding?
This will end up with a 7,000 total loaded weight trailer tied to a 3/4 ton Ram, so the details might not be CRITICAL, but I'm overly paranoid.
B&W Patriot 16K

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Get the instructions from the manufacturers website. One thing to look for is the fit where the ball mount attaches to the new shank, there are shims available if there is too much clearance. Many are installed where the bolts need to crush the ball mount too much, again there may be instructions for that as well.

I upgraded to a 2-1/2" shank, eliminating the adapter, and the reduction in slop made a noticeable difference. The pin bending with an adapter is real and under the right conitions can happen.

rctoyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Update.. After measuring, I need to drop this thing about 1" - I have one more set of holes I can go down, so that should work - but since I've got to take it apart anyway, I'm going to try to find the correct sized shank tomorrow.
Am I afraid of taking it apart? Yes, quite a bit. Are there any gotchas I need to aware of in assembling this hitch? I don't understand the whole idea of angling the ball, etc. I've seen mention of adding washers to adjust the angle, but I see no washers on this thing.
B&W Patriot 16K

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
SoCalDesertRider wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
Yes they make adapters for that. BUT I had draw-tite hitch and I bought a Reese adapter.

They don't play well together.

Reese made sure the holes did not line up with the draw-tite They made it just too long enough not to line up.:R

I was so ticked. I took it to a frame shop and they measured and cut the adapter so the holes would line up.
That's interesting, because Reese, Draw-Tite, Hidden Hitch, Fulton, Tow Power, and a few other brand names that I don't remember off hand, are all part of the same company. Alot of Reese and Draw-Tite's receiver hitches for the same applications are the same part, with different names on them...

I'm curious about this too, as the Reese adapter I bought was SHORT, only about 6" long, extending 4" past the hole on one end, and a measly 2" past the hole on the other end.

There is absolutely NO WAY that the holes in this adapter would not line up inserted into any receiver tube I've ever come across, in either direction.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.