cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New user, have looked around a bit, first post

Dano1955
Explorer
Explorer
Looked for and found this forum and signed up recently (couple of days ago).

I was laid off from my job of 34 years last September and took my retirement. Over the past few months have been pondering my situation and future and have looked at the RV life as a full time option. It really interests me, and there are many places I've been that I would like to go again, and many I've never seen that I would love to.

I will begin drawing SS starting next February when I turn 62. Decision is made, even my Financial Planner can't talk me out of that. Doesn't matter to me if I can get $800 more a month if I wait another decade. Pooh! Have half a dozen friends that had that waiting plan that died in late 50's to mid 60's. They were all about my age. That could happen to me. Hell as a smoker of 49 years, it probably will. I intend to get some of my money back from Uncle Sugar while I can.

I have some resources other than that though. A condo I can rent for at least twice my mortgage, a cash out of a company 401k, stuff like that in addition to SS.

My original thoughts were on buying a really nice new 5th and a 2500/3500 to tow it, but lately I've been looking at late model low mileage Class A's that I could tow my little beater truck around with that would cost me about the same. Will decide when the time comes.

Looking back this is sort of long and rambly, but I'll post it anyway to see if I get any comments, suggestions or resource ideas for my hunt. BTW, for me the destination is the priority, the journey is just getting me there and sitting 4-6 months, then getting somewhere else for another 6 months. Follow the sun ya know, winters in the SW, summers in the Rockies and Northern states.

I've been told that monthly fees for 50amp, water and sewer are $1000 per month sometimes more. If that's the case then this probably won't be for me, but I'll do some checking. Hopefully there are some nice places where I'll be going that won't be that much.

Anyway to close, any comments, suggestions, ideas would be welcome.

Thanks for taking the time.

Dan
16 REPLIES 16

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dano1955 wrote:
Have half a dozen friends that had that waiting plan that died in late 50's to mid 60's... Hell as a smoker of 49 years, it probably will. I intend to get some of my money back from Uncle Sugar while I can.
If you continue smoking, yes, absolutely do it now. Were I you I'd get rid of that habit asap. No, it won't be easy. 49 years is a long time. I'm sorry to be the nanny here but RV life will be very difficult with emphysema or a host of other problems from smoking.

The Palm Springs area of So Cal will be that expensive, Arizona not so much.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been told that monthly fees for 50amp, water and sewer are $1000 per month sometimes more. If that's the case then this probably won't be for me, but I'll do some checking. Hopefully there are some nice places where I'll be going that won't be that much.

CHECK OUT THE WORKKAMPING FORUM>
YOU do some work your site is free.
National Park Service and other government agencies offer near the same thing
Traveling with my best friend my wife!