cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

oil like substance dripping from television

Den_Carol
Explorer
Explorer
I know this sounds crazy, but we have an oil like substance dripping(every once in a while)from the television in our motorhome. It is coming from the left hand bottom corner, and I also wiped around the whole back edge and it had a little bit of this substance on the paper towel. I have checked and it is definitely coming from the television Does anyone have an idea what this could be.
2012 Forest River Sunseeker 32 ft
2011 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar & Base Plate
Zoi terrier mix
44 REPLIES 44

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
bigred1cav wrote:
Gease used by actors to make themselves presentable?

:h
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Gease used by actors to make themselves presentable?

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
mtrumpet wrote:
Larry-D wrote:
mtrumpet wrote:
Larry-D wrote:
A friend and I wired his new house for cable using exterior coax his brother gave him. His brother worked for the cable company. We ran all the cables in the house to a second floor wall and hooked it all up. Within a couple of years the oil inside the coax started staining the outlet boxes and the sheetrock under the boxes in all the rooms.

Lesson learned don't use coax with oil inside it, inside the house. I tell this to suggest you look at the cable connection on the back/side of the tv. Just in case.

Oil filled coax cable?? What are you talking about?? :h

Exterior cable company coax. The coax had an oil substance inside the cable to keep moisture from getting inside the cable since it was for an exterior application. Seen it with my own two eyes.

Interesting. That's a new one on me.

The "stuff" is more like petroleum jelly. It is used in direct bury cable as another layer of protection against moisture. Direct bury telephone cable has the same stuff and when it gets warm and starts to run, it makes a real mess.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Arizona Kid wrote:
It's liquid crystal material leaking from a crack in the display panel. It's not dangerous except to your wallet. It's just a matter of time before it fails.

:h Liquid Crystal Diodes CANNOT LEAK They are NOT filled with liquid.

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
Larry-D wrote:
mtrumpet wrote:
Larry-D wrote:
A friend and I wired his new house for cable using exterior coax his brother gave him. His brother worked for the cable company. We ran all the cables in the house to a second floor wall and hooked it all up. Within a couple of years the oil inside the coax started staining the outlet boxes and the sheetrock under the boxes in all the rooms.

Lesson learned don't use coax with oil inside it, inside the house. I tell this to suggest you look at the cable connection on the back/side of the tv. Just in case.

Exterior cable company coax. The coax had an oil substance inside the cable to keep moisture from getting inside the cable since it was for an exterior application. Seen it with my own two eyes.

Interesting. That's a new one on me.
Mark & Cherie

Larry-D
Explorer II
Explorer II
mtrumpet wrote:
Larry-D wrote:

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
Larry-D wrote:

Mark & Cherie

Larry-D
Explorer II
Explorer II

Den_Carol
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Jensen Tv in our Sunseeker and it leaked a brownish liquid once in a while. It was an acid as it etched our counter when it would dripped. We went to the Forest River Rally in Goshen In last August and they replaced it for free. When they took it off the wall it had streaks all over the back of it.
2012 Forest River Sunseeker 32 ft
2011 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar & Base Plate
Zoi terrier mix

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud Dancer wrote:
My front TV did the same thing. But, it only was noticeable when it rained. I discovered I had a design deficiency in the roof.

x2
that or pampers for the mice
if it was a capacitor the fluid will feel oily

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
My front TV did the same thing. But, it only was noticeable when it rained. I discovered I had a design deficiency in the roof.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

57_Panhead
Explorer
Explorer
This is indeed a mystery, I just posted in another thread of my issue. Same thing happening to me. What is the brand of your TV, ours is an RCA 32".

This is a link to my thread with pictures.

Steve
Retired Teamster
2012 Jayco Eagle Superlite 31.5RLTS
07 F250 PowerStroke
U Y B

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
This could be a problem that can go on, so pretty much the OP has two choices... let it drip and etch the counter, or toss it and be done with it. It isn't worth the hassle.

I'd pay the $419 and replace it.

As per above posts, it might be something different. It could even be possible that some chemical used in the TV's making was not completely cleaned out before the TV was assembled. If it is capacitor electrolyte, the TV has done more damage than what it costs to replace it to the countertop by etching it.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The picture looks like leaking capacitor electrolyte.
In any event, a new LED/LCD 32" screen is not that expensive. I'd replace it and remove the threat of leaking acid or a fire.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton