cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

One of those things about traveling

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
In early July 2018, we needed a short stop between reservations while headed south on I-75 from the Michigan Upper Peninsula.

Wife found a reasonably priced county fairgrounds park in the town of Midland, MI. Nice place for 3 nights. We explored the town and the riverfront parks. Interesting little community.

Catching up on the news late last night, I read of flooding from the failure of two dams just upstream of the town. The downtown area supposedly to be under several feet of water this morning.

As we have traveled some 60,000+ miles pulling our trailer through 47 states in the past six years of full-timing, I'm surprised how often I read of something in the news and "We've been there".

Hopefully everyone will be okay, and it will only be property damage from the floods in the area.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT
16 REPLIES 16

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
I'm surprised how often I read of something in the news and "We've been there".

Hopefully everyone will be okay, and it will only be property damage from the floods in the area.

Very tragic - sometimes 6 degrees of separation is more like one degree.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Where can they drain Michigan to? There are very big lakes on three sides of the state?
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to see Michigan get inundated. It's time to drain the state! :W
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
So far, the people below the dams have taken the evacuation orders seriously, thank goodness. I'm just praying that the huge Dow Chemical Plant is on high enough ground??
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
gbopp wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
We've noticed that too.

Now this is likely just coincidence but many times, it's your computer/phone spying on you.

We don't use the voice activation features on our phones but there are times we are in the truck talking and the phone sitting in the cup holder will suddenly ask us to repeat what we said.

:h Your computer/phone spying on you causes floods? :h

Hey, if windmills can cause cancer, why can't phones cause floods???

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
gbopp wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
We've noticed that too.

Now this is likely just coincidence but many times, it's your computer/phone spying on you.

We don't use the voice activation features on our phones but there are times we are in the truck talking and the phone sitting in the cup holder will suddenly ask us to repeat what we said.

I was referring to how news articles pop up that oddly mirror places you've been and things you've seen. Also, as seen in bold, this was likely coincidence.

Then again, I wouldn't put it past google.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
In other news.. This dam breach (well one of 'em) was predicted.. The owners of the Dam lost their license to produce electricity because of lack of proper maintenance to the dam and the fear of just this happening.

I remember a headline years and years ago
Dam Breaks, Road to Hell a Soggy Mess

Hell is a town in Lower MI (In the Pinckney Recreation area) where they sell (At the general store) Styrofoam snowballs (of course)

Been there.. Danced on the Dam Site. (Last dance held there due to the weakening of the dam.) it was like 2 years later it broke.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
No lives have been lost and no one is injured.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Dam failed near Edenville which caused a dam to fail near Sanford.

The Edenville dam created Wixom Lake, which is now empty.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a bad situation for sure. I'm sorry for all who have lost property and I hope no one loses their lives.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
In July 2000 we tent camped at a BMW motorcycle rally at the fairgrounds. We toured the Dow gardens, we also did some shopping and dining in the downtown area.

I have fond memories and was impressed with the area. It is sad to see the destruction but man is often reminded, nature always wins.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I have been watching that. I am closer and so get better coverage than you might, but it is really bad. Actually two dams breached and the where the river goes though Midland was 20+ over flood stage. I have not heard how many (if any) were lost. They had warning before the crest came along, but that does not mean that everybody got out.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
We've noticed that too.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
We've noticed that too.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV