cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Overnight Visitor

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I thought I would share this with everyone.

The other day, I needed something out of my clipper, so I popped in to grab it. I had been doing some stuff in there a while back and so I knew I had some things out of place. However, when I walked in, I noticed some clothes lying around - they are normally in ebags packing cubes. Then I saw my gloves on the doghouse (they were in the console), and a pad of paper. There was a note. I don't have it right here, but it said something about please. Then "they want to kill it", and then something about just do it.

The handwriting was very nice and everytbing but please was spel!ed correctly.

Well, with that, I looked carefully at everything. What this person did NOT do:

Steal anything (I had a camera, telescope, mp3 player, lanterns, etc., All things that would have been worth cash or handy to have.

Do any damage. Nothing was broken, ruined, vandalized, etc.

What he did do:

Had a couple sodas (I stopped drinking them, so they were over a year old)
Ate my all-dressed chips (OK, that one made me mad)
Ate some good-n-plenties
Slept in my overhead bed.

Toilet appears unused. But for ick factor, I will wash all clothing, bedding and wipe down everything.

There was no break-in, so I must have left the door unlocked.

While I know there are folks who will harp on how horrid this is, I can honestly say I am not upset or anything. I have since locked it up and will be more careful in the future. But, this was most likely a schizophrenic and not some tweaker or lazy arse. He had a nice warm restful night, had something to eat, treated my stuff well, and left me a thank you note. ๐Ÿ™‚

Seriously, I consider myself lucky and in the end I helped someone out.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)
75 REPLIES 75

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
All dressed chips are Canadian. Ruffles brand. They are just now starting to make their way into the states. They are the best.

Really like those myself. I've been buying them at Hy-vee since last year. They really do encapsulate a few of the typical flavors I've associated with "Canadian". (salt and vinegar, for example).

On topic - Since the guy/gal is long gone, yeah, I'm not sure what you would have done differently, and it's your RV, so...whatever.

I grew up in an area where Mom and Dad never locked their doors to the car, left the keys in the ignition (so Dad could move my car out of the way), everyone knows each other in those types of tiny towns. But it just takes one or two incidents when someone like me moves to the larger cities, and boy do I lock my doors, never leave the keys in, etc. It took two aftermarket stereos being stolen in a parking garage. No windows broken, either!

I've had more stuff stolen in the Twin Cities area in the "small" town with a population of around 30,000 in 23 years of living here than I ever did growing up and moving around on military bases. Then again - military tends to attract a certain type of people who don't typically steal.

KansasRV
Explorer
Explorer
I hope they get the help they need.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
All dressed chips are Canadian. Ruffles brand. They are just now starting to make their way into the states. They are the best.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
8 pages of different reactions. At least we have the alternatives covered.

What would addle my cells is who the intruder was and what brought him/her to such a situation. I might even leave a note and pencil on the outside of the RV, should he/she return. Might also throw an old sleeping bag, a poncho, a bag of chips or such outside and wish him/her the best on their journey.

IMO, from the situation described, it's much more likely this was a person down on their luck and not another Night Stalker.

I agree, what would make a person come onto private property and do what the did. Whether good intentions or bad, you don't see that often.

Also, under 'My Preferences', you can choose how many posts per page, I selected 20 posts per page so I'm only showing 4 pages. The threads don't seem as long that way. ๐Ÿ˜›

Passin Thru... I also have never heard of 'all dressed chips', they sound good!

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

westend
Explorer
Explorer
8 pages of different reactions. At least we have the alternatives covered.

What would addle my cells is who the intruder was and what brought him/her to such a situation. I might even leave a note and pencil on the outside of the RV, should he/she return. Might also throw an old sleeping bag, a poncho, a bag of chips or such outside and wish him/her the best on their journey.

IMO, from the situation described, it's much more likely this was a person down on their luck and not another Night Stalker.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Leave it alone. The guy may have been homeless, a Hobo (look up the def)Met one one time and fed him. He was so polite and grateful. Never heard of all-dressed chips.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
CharlesinGA wrote:
I don't feel like reading thru all 7 pages of this, call the police and get them to come out with a drug dog and walk thru the unit, inside and out. As someone noted, could be stashed drugs.

After I bought my MH I was opening up stuff and digging into corners, crevices and places like behind the speaker, inside the back of cabinets after removing the drawers, etc. I found "white powder" spilled behind a speaker I had removed and was concerned until I remembered having removed a tall box of Arm&Hammer soda that had turned over in the pantry cabinet a couple of inches above this. After taking the bottom out of the cabinet I figured out it had spilled and worked its way thru, and the cleaning people who cleaned for the dealer had removed the spill in the pantry and left the box of soda.

I asked the sheriff to send out a drug dog but they always "were busy" and never got around to it.

Charles

There are no drugs in the RV. The sheriff will NOT send out a drug dog regardless.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
I don't feel like reading thru all 7 pages of this, call the police and get them to come out with a drug dog and walk thru the unit, inside and out. As someone noted, could be stashed drugs.

After I bought my MH I was opening up stuff and digging into corners, crevices and places like behind the speaker, inside the back of cabinets after removing the drawers, etc. I found "white powder" spilled behind a speaker I had removed and was concerned until I remembered having removed a tall box of Arm&Hammer soda that had turned over in the pantry cabinet a couple of inches above this. After taking the bottom out of the cabinet I figured out it had spilled and worked its way thru, and the cleaning people who cleaned for the dealer had removed the spill in the pantry and left the box of soda.

I asked the sheriff to send out a drug dog but they always "were busy" and never got around to it.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
And, in your very detailed example, you will notice that the teen saw the vehicle and could identify the make and a partial plate number. That is useful information that can help if it is filed. I did not see anything, anyone, or any identifiable (partial or complete) information. There is no way to connect my visitor to anything since the law enforcement will not come out to fingerprint, etc.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
A friend's son is a deputy sheriff. I asked him about reporting it. He said that they would NOT come out, they would suggest I file an online report, and the only "benefit" to reporting it would be to add it to stats.

He agreed that it was such a minor violation that there would be nothing for law enforcement to do about it and that he did not believe it was a serious or dangerous situation.

So thank you very much for your in depth analysis. I stand by my decision.

Oh, and once again, I am NOT a he.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
True, but It wouldnโ€™t be a good rvnet soap opera if half the respondents to the thread didnโ€™t claim the Sky was falling!

Nice leap of faith there. No one said the sky was falling. Some of us are just more cautious than others. But a note with the word "kill" in it shouldn't be taken lightly.

Toadtoes there's no need to keep explaining yourself. If you are comfortable with your decision that's all that matters. Everyone reacts to stress and different situations as they see appropriate. I found it an interesting event as well, just one that I would have taken a little more seriously. That doesn't mean you were wrong.

Doesn't mean he was correct either..:@

It would appear he has a negative opinion of police work - what the LEOs will or won't do with "information".

And - "toedtoes" does have a "need" for.....debate..:W

But lets take a look at his last post:

"There was nothing taken, nothing vandalized, no injuries. There would have been NO fingerprinting. Heck, there would have no visit by the police to take a report."

OK - a 13 year old kid returns from a vacation with his parents to Rosarito Beach, Mexico. He's tinkering with his mini-bike in the garage of his parents home. He happens to see a pair of feet go past the screened vent just above the garage floor......and tells his dad.

They look out the front window and see a man run across the front lawn, and get into an orange Toyota. Thinking it might have been a thief - they get a *partial* license number - and *REPORT* it to the police (Orange County, CA Sheriff Dept.)

A bit of trespassing, but Heck - no harm, no foul - "nothing taken, nothing vandalized, no injuries."

(The report, if filed): "Nothing was stolen, nothing was broken, there were no drugs or paraphernalia lying around. There were no situations at any neighbors house."

Heck - why bother??

"I should have reported it so the police could send out the CSI to do a full DNA search of my RV and then go search through millions of records to find a match to arrest someone for *SIMPLE TRESPASSING*.
Oh but then they would have to go find this UNKNOWN FACELESS PERSON."

"Seriously, PDs do NOT have the manpower or finances to check
for FINGERPRINTS and DNA for a simple trespassing.......etc"

Back to the 13 year old kid tinkering on his mini-bike.......
An hour later, RICHARD RAMIREZ drove about a mile away, crawled into a home via a partially open garage door, shot Bill Carns three times in the head and raped his girlfriend.

Ramirez later abandoned the Toyota - which had been (almost) wiped clean. However, a partial FINGERPRINT was obtained from the rear-view mirror.

Thanks to a 13 year old kid - the police were able to find a previously UNKNOWN, FACELESS, person - and arrest Richard Ramirez, the "Night Stalker". He was subsequently convicted of 13 murders, and various other crimes - and died on California's death row at age 53.

James (the 13 yr old kid) now 45, still lives in the same community -
and did get credit for putting away the person who "committed those horrible terrible crime(S)".......

.....all due to a SIMPLE TRESPASS that was REPORTED..:S

~

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
I've been ROFLMAO on this thread.

Think, hey no one has suggested members of this forum follow a criminal behaviour. Still, that does happen. There is a school board in AB wanting to teach criminal behaviour. Natch the prov. gov. is saying NOT NO WAY.

So, we're just laughable.

๐Ÿ˜›
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
True, but It wouldnโ€™t be a good rvnet soap opera if half the respondents to the thread didnโ€™t claim the Sky was falling!

Nice leap of faith there. No one said the sky was falling. Some of us are just more cautious than others. But a note with the word "kill" in it shouldn't be taken lightly.

Toadtoes there's no need to keep explaining yourself. If you are comfortable with your decision that's all that matters. Everyone reacts to stress and different situations as they see appropriate. I found it an interesting event as well, just one that I would have taken a little more seriously. That doesn't mean you were wrong.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
1L243 wrote:
I'm not sure why this thread was started. It sounds to me like you answered your own question. In your opinion no crime occurred so why try to prevent it?

I didn't ask a question. I told about an event that happened to me that I thought was interesting and was a "whew! That could have been bad but it wasn't" moment.

As for preventing it, it already happened and the person is long gone. I can't prevent it. Am I more careful about locking my RV - yes. Will that prevent future instances that may involve drugs or theft - maybe.