cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Overnight Visitor

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I thought I would share this with everyone.

The other day, I needed something out of my clipper, so I popped in to grab it. I had been doing some stuff in there a while back and so I knew I had some things out of place. However, when I walked in, I noticed some clothes lying around - they are normally in ebags packing cubes. Then I saw my gloves on the doghouse (they were in the console), and a pad of paper. There was a note. I don't have it right here, but it said something about please. Then "they want to kill it", and then something about just do it.

The handwriting was very nice and everytbing but please was spel!ed correctly.

Well, with that, I looked carefully at everything. What this person did NOT do:

Steal anything (I had a camera, telescope, mp3 player, lanterns, etc., All things that would have been worth cash or handy to have.

Do any damage. Nothing was broken, ruined, vandalized, etc.

What he did do:

Had a couple sodas (I stopped drinking them, so they were over a year old)
Ate my all-dressed chips (OK, that one made me mad)
Ate some good-n-plenties
Slept in my overhead bed.

Toilet appears unused. But for ick factor, I will wash all clothing, bedding and wipe down everything.

There was no break-in, so I must have left the door unlocked.

While I know there are folks who will harp on how horrid this is, I can honestly say I am not upset or anything. I have since locked it up and will be more careful in the future. But, this was most likely a schizophrenic and not some tweaker or lazy arse. He had a nice warm restful night, had something to eat, treated my stuff well, and left me a thank you note. ๐Ÿ™‚

Seriously, I consider myself lucky and in the end I helped someone out.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)
75 REPLIES 75

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Edd505 wrote:
You may want to report to the police, it maybe related to other crimes in the area. Even if it is a schizophrenic he/she may need help winters on it's way. Last case I had like that was a teen that had been thrown out of his home. Got him sent to job corps where he had a place to sleep, a job, and eats.
Congrats for getting him in the right direction, I'm sick of hearing people these days "I can't find a job", well they are correct in one instance, if they never get off their lazy arses,and go look for one, they never will find a job, and as long people keep up with the handouts, thinking they're actually helping them, there's no incentive to go looking.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

w8lpn
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
w8lpn wrote:
I had a similar incident a few years back. I had an older tt and when not in use I parked it at the old Jr High school building in town, which the fire department has owned for over 20 years now. Quite a few of us firemen park our trailers there because we have the space.

Anyway one day I went to get the trailer to bring home to get ready for a trip and noticed that the window in the door was broken. When I went in, I noticed the couch bed was pulled out, a pizza box, and some empty beer cans. There was also several cigarette butts in the sink. Also there was a floating "gift" in the turlet.

I took the trailer home and cleaned it up. Removed the broken glass and replaced it. It was a little odd. But I did report the the PD.

Then a few weeks later, the PD was called to a home at the other end of town where someone had broken into a TT, but the owner heard them and call the police. Anyway the police went in and found the person unresponsive with an overdose. So they called out the Fire dept and ambulance and we brought him back.

I dont know if it was the same guy or not but it did make me think. I looked around my trailer but didnt find any needles or anything.

Now we have cameras at the school building and I havent parked a camper there since. You just need to be careful.

But in your situation, i think it was just someone looking for a place to stay, not party.

Yeah, if I had found beer, food wrappings, needles, condoms, etc., I would report it because it would have likely been neighborhood kids wanting a party place.

In my situation, the only thing the person left was a note. He brought absolutely nothing with him and left with only the food and drink in his belly.

Yes you were lucky. I really do agree with you that your expierience did not have malice intended. Just needed a place for the night.
2014 Ford F150 5.0
1985 citation 30 ft camper
Husky WDH with sway control

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
w8lpn wrote:
I had a similar incident a few years back. I had an older tt and when not in use I parked it at the old Jr High school building in town, which the fire department has owned for over 20 years now. Quite a few of us firemen park our trailers there because we have the space.

Anyway one day I went to get the trailer to bring home to get ready for a trip and noticed that the window in the door was broken. When I went in, I noticed the couch bed was pulled out, a pizza box, and some empty beer cans. There was also several cigarette butts in the sink. Also there was a floating "gift" in the turlet.

I took the trailer home and cleaned it up. Removed the broken glass and replaced it. It was a little odd. But I did report the the PD.

Then a few weeks later, the PD was called to a home at the other end of town where someone had broken into a TT, but the owner heard them and call the police. Anyway the police went in and found the person unresponsive with an overdose. So they called out the Fire dept and ambulance and we brought him back.

I dont know if it was the same guy or not but it did make me think. I looked around my trailer but didnt find any needles or anything.

Now we have cameras at the school building and I havent parked a camper there since. You just need to be careful.

But in your situation, i think it was just someone looking for a place to stay, not party.

Yeah, if I had found beer, food wrappings, needles, condoms, etc., I would report it because it would have likely been neighborhood kids wanting a party place.

In my situation, the only thing the person left was a note. He brought absolutely nothing with him and left with only the food and drink in his belly.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
For the record:

1. I don't even know when it happened. Could have been over a two week period.

2. The person left a note which clearly shows he/she (I don't even know that) is not hiding from the law.

3. The note and the clothes strewn around point to a schizophrenic rather than a memory impaired illness.

4. The area has many homeless that come through.

5. The police are very busy with serious crimes and will write a report and nothing else. That time spent writing a report for someone going into an unlocked RV and crashing for a night could be spent finding a stolen car or worse (if you read the Boondocking are you armed last post, you'll see that I live in a horrible place similar to inner city Chicago).

OK, that last parenthetical was tongue in cheek - but seriously they closed the thread on a post that compared Downtown Sacramento and Downtown Stockton to inner city Chicago... there IS no inner city in Sac or Stockton. Downtown Sac and Stockton are no more dangerous than any other small city downtown area. (Sorry, I sidelined my own thread but seriously Northern California is as far away from an inner city as you can get. The closest would be Marin City or Richmond and they aren't really inner cities either.

w8lpn
Explorer
Explorer

2014 Ford F150 5.0
1985 citation 30 ft camper
Husky WDH with sway control

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I too agree a Crime happened and should be reported. Just for the record.
Upon reflection I felt I should add that but I left it out of my earlier post because others had already covered it..

(The last post I was trying to explain what happened... But even if the person felt he had good cause and needed shelter... Well it is still a crime).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
I would most definitely place a non emergency informational report with the PD. Most likely it is just a person needing a comfortable rest but could also be a comfortable rest from someone "on the run". While there might not be any other reports in your immediate area if there are a string of similar reports over a broader area it may lead to a pattern that ultimately leads to finding this person.

Our local PD last year was able to find an at risk local runaway by connecting the dots of RV's and cabins that had unauthorized tenants. This time it was an Alzheimer patient that had successfully walked out of his treatment center. Three years ago same scenario but led to the capture of a man "on the run" for killing his wife and kids. Both cases had no harm no foul to the RV's or cabins but could have been a harm and foul had they gone unreported.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crazy junk goes down some days ๐Ÿ™‚
Eh I would be like you, let it be and take precautions to shore up what you own and go from there.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
doxiemom11 wrote:
Boy, there are a lot of paranoid people on this forum.

I prefer to call it cautious, or lack of trust in other people's intentions. Especially people who don't respect other people's property.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
I understand the reasoning behind those who say report it. I have checked the police website which lists all calls and there have been no incidents with an unknown person.

Had there been any sign of violence, etc., I would report it. But in this situation all he did was kick back and relax.

Next time, could you please leave it plugged in so I can watch tv?
Thanks!!

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I understand the reasoning behind those who say report it. I have checked the police website which lists all calls and there have been no incidents with an unknown person.

Had there been any sign of violence, etc., I would report it. But in this situation all he did was kick back and relax.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boy, there are a lot of paranoid people on this forum. I say you did the right thing and I would also be glad that just maybe I had helped someone. Kindness and being able to forgive small piddly things like this make you a good person. Too bad so many are afraid to be good to another. Lock him up - hang em - they broke the law! Geez

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully he will not return, discover the locked unit and decide that he wants in anyway and breaks in. I would have at least let the Police know as there could be
more of the same thing happening in other parts of the area. (my opinion)
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
Glad you didn't walk in on him. Could have turned out differently.

Mike

another reason i would've reported it. might be a missing piece they need in an open case.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad you didn't walk in on him. Could have turned out differently.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS