cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pests - What a mess

Gigem
Explorer
Explorer
For health reason, we're unable to travel this summer, so our RV is stored in its regular place on our side yard. When we're not traveling, the 5th wheel has been parked down there without incident for 10 years. When checking on the RV this morning, I got the shock of my life. Some rodent or small gnawing pest has found a way to get into our air conditioning duct work? There were places where they had chewed thru the duct work (pieces of aluminum foil on the floor) and others where they had chewed a bit on the plastic vent covers. I'm not 100% certain that the pest was actually down into the RV?

So I have 2 major problems, getting rid of the pest(s) and sealing up wherever they are getting in and then figuring out a way to repair the AC ducts. Question(s) Has any of our RV friends on the forum had a similar problem, ie pests gnawing in the AC ducts? The only place where I can imagine they could gain entry is thru the AC unit on the roof, and I thought that was sealed? After I solve those problems, I need to understand how to repair the AC duct work.

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Marie and Paul,
2005 Ford F350 PSD DRW LB CC
16K Draw-Tite Slider
2003 HitchHiker II LS 32.5 RLBG
5 REPLIES 5

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I store my RV in a building that I own. Concrete floor and metal siding. But when the RV is parked there, I have trays of mouse poison placed near the tires. They seem to like it better than having to climb. They sweep up easily in a dust pan.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rodents, rats cited, can chew through cinder blocks and joints between them.
They think they want to get in they find the weak spots a little opening or whatever or just someplace to sink their teeth and they will get in.
Depends on how bad they want in I guess. If you find holes where they got in the expanding foam will plug it and they don't like to chew on it, so I hear. Won't stop them from finding other places maybe.
Same for buildings if something doesn't drive them away.
The Speedwell Academy circa 1800 the squirrels were climbing the brick walls and chewing the shutters up to get in and eaves.
They sell solar powered leds that flash red that are somewhat effective on Racoons, oposuums etc and sonar repllers that you plug into outlets. I've got those in the basement but I regualarly spray perimeter in and out with home defense. They don't like that and other products either.
A resident cat or rat terrior maybe will stop them. Rat bait will get them.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Homer wrote:
Sounds like a chipmunk, the little buggers love to chew plastic. I have had to replace most of my downspout extensions at the stix n Bricks, because of them. I have actually stood and watched them chew the plastic. The foam is about the only real good way to seal them out. I don't know if they will chew foam or not, never have known of a case where they have.

You may have explained some of the damage to my white plastic lattice panels. They also love peanut butter. I use it in mouse traps but they have gotten hit at times.

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a chipmunk, the little buggers love to chew plastic. I have had to replace most of my downspout extensions at the stix n Bricks, because of them. I have actually stood and watched them chew the plastic. The foam is about the only real good way to seal them out. I don't know if they will chew foam or not, never have known of a case where they have.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen racoons chew through the plywood floor of an rv but your problem sounds more like a squirrel or chimp monk etc. I would guess that they may have come in around the drain pipes and in up around the tanks and basement area?

My FW had openings around the drain pipe and into the tank area with gaps around the vent pipes that a squirrel could have easily gotten through. Look under the rig to see if there is an area big enough for them to fit through. I spray foamed everything. I noticed spray foam at the hardware store that is used for sealing out rodents/pests. I dont know what it contains but it said no pesticides.

It's surprising what some animals can chew through. We had a small dog that was afraid of storms and it chewed through an aluminum dryer vent pipe.