cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pink stuff froze

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
This was a real surprise. Yesterday, winterized the Motor Home. I forgot and left the Pink stuff sitting on the back porch over night. It got down to 21 last night. There was a little over a fourth still in the jug. It was not froze solid, but was pretty thick slush in the jug this morning. I sure didn't know it could freeze. I used it to pour in all the P-traps in the coach. Now I'm wondering what happens if it gets colder.
41 REPLIES 41

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Sure it wasn't pepto bismol

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
It's made to do that. It will get slushy, and depending on if it mixes with water will determine how solid it freezes (solid). It will get slush, but not expand.

I winterized and deliberately left my caps off to continue dripping. In the morning I saw this. Perfect normal. It was soft and squishy before I knocked it off, closed the valves, and put the cap back on.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, it will freeze. Literally ANYTHING will freeze if it gets cold enough. Even nitrogen will freeze if it gets below -346 degrees F. However, unlike water, when it freezes it does not EXPAND. That means that when it freezes, it does not burst pipes or fittings.

Only water expands when it freezes. Everything else continues to contract as it freezes.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
I experimented with the stuff years ago.
I could mix it 50/50 with water and it would freeze almost solid and not expand.
Makes for great ice packs, lasts as long as the cooler packs.
Fill up some water bottle and give it a try. 50/50

We had a bad storm and lost power for three days. It would have been cheap to have two or three gallon jugs of it frozen solid in the freezer chest.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
What does the label say it's rated for, and what's the active ingredient? They ship different types, with different concentrations/ratings, to different parts of the country.

The jug I got up here in Michigan uses propylene glycol, and is label rated to -75F. That's a pipe burst rating, not a freeze rating. The stuff will get thick and slushy, and even freeze before it gets that cold, but it doesn't expand like water does when it freezes solid, so pipes won't burst.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
guidry wrote:
It did what it's supposed to do, not freeze solid. It just gets slushy as you described.

YEP^^^^^

Gets slushy but does NOT freeze solid therefore NO expansion so no harm/no foul
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Needs more ethanol in it. Many brands will slush/thicken, but not supposed to expand. If your 1.99 brand fails, breaks water lines/fittings, be sure to post brand. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
It did what it's supposed to do, not freeze solid. It just gets slushy as you described.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I had a half jug set in the trailer shed down to 16 below. It didn't get solid but just slushy
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

PierreBois
Explorer
Explorer
I found out only yesterday after many winterizations that the Pink antifreeze will thicken up but not expand which would be catastrophic.
The things they don't tell ya??
2017 319RLS OR 5th wheel
2017 Ram 1500

We travel initially to lose ourselves; and we travel, next to find ourselves. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again- to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more."
โ€” Pico Iyer

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I think you got the stuff from China. It's just pink dye and water.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Mine will get slushy when down to 0 and below, but never freezes. Was that the bargain brand? ๐Ÿ™‚
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad