cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Please check some measurements.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey guys, need an opinion here on if I should buy a WD hitch for our awesome POP up and Minivan combo, leave as is, or just go with some Timbren's/Airlift Airbags to level it out in the rear.

The Trailer is 2900 ish lbs GVWR and we towed the rig home with nothing but the ball and a sway bar. Towed great! No control or handling issues at all. I took some initial measurements with the rig moderately loaded.

Like I said the rig rides great, but here are some pics.

Unloaded measurements

Unloaded Rear wheel well

Unloaded Front wheel well

Loaded Measurements

Loaded Rear Wheel Well

Loaded front Wheel Well

Looks to me like my front end measurement is 31 1/16th and my unloaded measurement is 30 3/4 giving me way under .5 inch rise in the front wheel wells loaded up. Not too bad!

The rear end does squat of abut 1 1/4 inches... but like I said, the handling is still very good. Once the family is all loaded up in the van the rear end squat is about 1.5 inches and the front has negligible rise.

I must say that hitching up by just dropping the coupler on the ball does appeal to me, its a few less steps and less weight than a WD hitch and my handling seems great as is.

I would like to do something about the rear end, Timbrens appeal to me most because they are an install and forget. I am not worried about the squat as much as I am the rear end handling once we are fully loaded up. A WD hitch will take car of it too, but there are WELDED ON obstructions on the Trailer A-frame in the way. AirLift airbags will level out the rear back to stock so that may be the way to go.

Thanks for taking a peek at my post.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~
12 REPLIES 12

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks Ron! I got the friction sway bar so that's great. Thanks for responding to my thread!

As far as the rear end handling, it handles fine as is. Probably just me being a worry wart.

I really like the Andersen and you are right, it probably will let me clear the obstructions on the frame rail. There are four bed supports on the a-Frame...two on each side.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
I would like to do something about the rear end, Timbrens appeal to me most because they are an install and forget. I am not worried about the squat as much as I am the rear end handling once we are fully loaded up. A WD hitch will take car of it too, but there are WELDED ON obstructions on the Trailer A-frame in the way. AirLift airbags will level out the rear back to stock so that may be the way to go.
Hi Jeremiah, I don't know what you mean by "rear end handling", but if there is a problem with it, I doubt that Timbrens or air bags would solve the problem.

As long as you are within the TV specs (which you appear to be), I don't see a reason to be concerned with the rear-end squat. Many pick ups have 1.5" of squat -- even with WDH applied.

I would be more concerned about the need for sway control than the need for WD -- especially considering that the TW might be at the bottom of the normally accepted range.

Seems to me that your combination is a good candidate for the Andersen WDH.
With a tongue weight of less than 400#, the Andersen should be able to restore the TV's front end to its unhitched load.
And, the Andersen's chain bracket system might allow you to avoid the WELDED ON obstructions on the Trailer A-frame.

Just some thoughts.

Ron

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron Gratz wrote:
How much do you expect the trailer to weigh when loaded for camping?

What does the TV owner's manual say about max trailer weight and max tongue weight?

Ron

Hi Ron,

Here are the van specs...

*The Max trailer tow rating is 3600 lbs
*The Max tongue weight per the owners manual is 360 lbs
*The GCWR is 8750 lbs
*The scaled weight of the van is 5400 lbs loaded with fuel and family
*GVWR of the van is 6050 lbs leaving 650 lbs of payload before reaching GVWR
*Leaving an effective loaded trailer weight of 3350 lbs before I hit GCWR
*The tires have a load capacity of 1750 lbs each
*The receiver is rated at 400lbs WC and 500 lbs WD max

Trailer specs from memory
*GVWR-2950
*ULVW- 2300 ish
* per the weight label after the propane and water are added I have about 450 lbs of payload available to load in the PUP.

As far as tongue weight management is concerned I can lift the tongue
Off the ground by hand now. It's tough but I can lift it. I would estimate the tongue weight at 275 lbs as it sits. I am actually concerned about lightening the tongue weight as the trailer is loaded. Most of the storage is aft the trailer axle.

The couch has a lot of storage under it and there is a tv stand with a large storage compartment under it. The dinette slide straddles the axle so one side of the storage is In front of the axle and one side is after the axle.

We are going to have to be careful with how we load and I intend to purchase a scale to manage the tongue weight properly and keep the % around 11-12% as much as I can.

All said, maintaining these weights and being careful with loading will be worth it. 17-20 MPG is very attainable with this rig, the maneuverability is amazing, and the ride is super comfy.

Can't wait to tow again!

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
How much do you expect the trailer to weigh when loaded for camping?

What does the TV owner's manual say about max trailer weight and max tongue weight?

Ron

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
Very, very, very few Pup`s need a WD hitch. personally if it were me I would go with Timbrens or air bags. it will ride much better when loaded. I like air bags because of their ease of adjustability. your not removing any weight off the front axle so a WD hitch is not necessary.

Thanks for the Suggestion for Timbrens. I like the adjustability of the airbags for sure. The install is basically the same for the Timbrens and the Airbags. The airbags are 1/2 price of the Timbrens... ($100.00 vs $200.00) so neither are very expensive.

What I like most about the Timbrens is that they are an install and forget about it product. I like that.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
The scales will tell the story. My bet is when you are all loaded up and ready to go, with the van loaded with whatever stuff behind the seat back by the tailgate, plus the tongue weight, you're going to want a WD hitch.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks folks!

This model doesn't have the front storage compartment and most of the storage inside the camper is centered over the axle.

I'm going to try and get some weights at the scale this weekend.

I may just get some AirLift airbags and get their onboard compressor. Sounds like a good option that is fully controllable from the drivers seat. Seems AirLift is running a rebate right now and the compressor kit turns out to be just under $170.00. The airbags for the minivan are only $100.00 and I can do the install myself.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very, very, very few Pup`s need a WD hitch. personally if it were me I would go with Timbrens or air bags. it will ride much better when loaded. I like air bags because of their ease of adjustability. your not removing any weight off the front axle so a WD hitch is not necessary.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
Since you just picked up the trailer, can we assume that the trailer is empty of personal belongings?

Can't tell from the pic...is that one of those pups with the front storage compartment?

A 1 1/2" drop is not bad, but I wonder what it will be when you load up the pup, and fill the back of the mini with all those last minute things you forgot, plus that cooler you want access to during the drive.

If you can keep the weight over the pup's axel, you will probably be ok. If you load up the back of the mini, or the front of the trailer...well, then....those measurements you have taken will be null and void, won't they?

Load her up, fill the mini with groceries and the kids...then see what you have.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you every one in the van and are loaded to go, you will need the WDH. Like mentioned above, check the hitch rating AND the tow rating of the van, which ever one is LOWER, follow it.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good the way it is. No need for a WD hitch unless the receiver rating calls for one. You're always going to get some suspension drop with weight added. 1.5" is not excessive.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
That all looks pretty good to me the way it is.
However, I would check what the vans manufacturer says about tongue weight where a WDH is required. If you are below that number then your good to go as-is.