cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Please review a Renogy 200 watt solar system for me

Wind_River
Explorer
Explorer
I am leaning toward this system with a MPPT charge controller. If anyone has this system I would be interested in you review and how you like it.
2019 Ford F250 XLT Super Duty 4X4 6.7 Power Stroke
2004 Jayco Jay Flight 25RKS
Equal-i-zer Hitch, 3502 Ultra Fab Tongue Jack
Twin Honda 2000i w/parallel kit
16 REPLIES 16

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank ya , Westend , The controller will be inside maybe 24 inches from batts . I hope that I did not hijack this thread to much !

westend
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
Amazon has a Renology 400 watt kit for $626 . What do you guys think of it ? I have measured the roof on my Work and Play and it will fit up front close to my four six volts . Wires will run behind the air foil on front to batts on " A" frame .
320W mono kit from Solar Blvd: 320W w/free shipping $369

I'm having good luck with a 235W 24V panel and a morningstar MPPT controller. The larger panels and a better controller may be something you should consider if your roof will fit them.

Sun Electric has a warehouse in Miami Gardens, FL. Solar Blvd is supposed to be shipping from TN. Shipping is a killer with solar panels since they are considered "oversized".

BTW, there are only a couple of solar charge controllers that can be used exposed to weather. When you explained your routing, there wasn't mention of the charge controller. You want that as close to the batteries as possible.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

rkentzel
Explorer
Explorer
They are decent panels I have a 100 watt one well built and they pack them pretty good for shipping. Trace controller works well no problems or complaints with it. does the job and does not break the bank.
1997 Pursuit class A

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I have 3 of those panels but with the new version of the tracer controller. Seems to be working fine.

I did use the included mounts but kind of regret it as they will be tough to get under if i ever need to lift a panel.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hi,

Always get a controller that has adjustable voltage set points and a temperature sensor for the battery bank.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Amazon has a Renology 400 watt kit for $626 . What do you guys think of it ? I have measured the roof on my Work and Play and it will fit up front close to my four six volts . Wires will run behind the air foil on front to batts on " A" frame .

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I have an identical system. I do not have them permanently installed but rather prop them against the camper and move them to follow the sun. This system works great for 9 months of year when you don't run the furnace too long and the sun shines consistently. I used the generator once (?) since I installed the system.

The only issue I had was with one of my batteries not holding a charge and it was a cloudy week-end - I keep running out of electrons but that was no fault of the solar system.

Go for it - you will be wondering why you did no do this years ago !!
Gerry

hein
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a good system and we like the RNG-100D panels. Would suggest the 40A controller and Meter option. We produce plastic peel & stick pads with 3M VHB and threaded inserts that fit the Renogy Z-brackets.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131933038269

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Max 200w into a 20 amp MPPT seems weak

Is the MC4 wire long enough?

Some dislike the Z brackets because you must remove from the roof and reseal for any service. Homemade L can remove panel from the bracket. That said mine have not moved since installed.

Does the controller have adjustable set points? Temperature compensation?

Kits are a great way to get started but everything has to work in your situation or you end up spending more to complete the install. I am partial to just roll your own with separate components.

Only thing critical is to match the panels and controller.

Compare this:
2x 160w mono panels $230
25 amp Morningstar PWM controller $150
Get some MC4 parallel connectors and wire to run down to controller, make your own panel mounts and you are in good shape for about the same $$ and 320 watts.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Wind River wrote:
Here is the link to the system I am looking at.

https://www.renogy.com/renogy-200-watt-12-volt-solar-starter-kit-w-mppt-charge-controller/

Renogy LINK
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
That is a good price for that kit and there is nothing wrong with that controller. I have used a Tracer (MPPT) controller for 7 years now with great results.

Wind_River
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the link to the system I am looking at.

https://www.renogy.com/renogy-200-watt-12-volt-solar-starter-kit-w-mppt-charge-controller/

Why is the Trace not a good choice?
2019 Ford F250 XLT Super Duty 4X4 6.7 Power Stroke
2004 Jayco Jay Flight 25RKS
Equal-i-zer Hitch, 3502 Ultra Fab Tongue Jack
Twin Honda 2000i w/parallel kit

Yak
Explorer
Explorer
I had a faulty charge controller of theirs, it took a few weeks and close to 30 emails to get it replaced. I couldn't believe what it took to get a $40 part under warranty.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 100 watt Renology solar suitcase, and I love it. It's easy to connect, easy to understand, and I haven't had to use the generator at all this year. (I don't use the microwave while camping, and can count on one hand the number of times I've used the air conditioner since I bought the trailer.)

Do you have any specific questions?
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H