cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable Cooktop

Bzeitham
Explorer
Explorer
I have been looking for a portable LP cooktop which could be used outside the RV. I've heard bad things about several of the brands on the market. I came across the Atwood 56494 Drop-In 2-Burner and have read the reviews which, I think, have been favorable and has a fairly modest price. I would like to make some sort of a base which it could be mounted and placed on a picnic table or some other table. The question I have, has anyone done something like this? And, if so, what were your results? DW does not want me cooking many things in the RV...like boiled cabbage, sir fries, etc. And she probably has a point!

Thanks in advance....
15 REPLIES 15

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there any particular reason not to use a standard propane camp stove? You can get a decent one for a lot less than the (nice) Atwood you list, especially once you add in a base and a propane connection, and the camp stove is likely to be more portable. Even the $20 ones at Wal-Mart or wherever work acceptably well, though they may not be the most robust for hard use. If you get a two-burner model, you should be able to ditch the regulator and connect it to your RV's propane system and regulator should you so desire using the usual grill quick-connects (and appropriate hoses, connectors, etc.). This doesn't work so well with stoves or grills that have the control knob built into the regulator as a single unit, typical of single burner ones.

Once very real problem you'll almost certainly encounter with the cooktop you mention is wind and breezes affecting the flame. There's a lot less wind inside the RV kitchen. Camp stoves often have side and back flaps to help combat this.