cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pulling with a Ram 2500

Missouri_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have a couple of questions out there in the pulling world. This is my first ever Ram. With that said I am curious to hear anyoneโ€™s experience pulling a 8000 lb or more travel trailer with a Hemi 6.4L V-8. I did not go with a diesel for I do not travel but 9-10 a year.

My second question of curiosity is I had previously a half ton Silverado with a small lift, so with my DH, the Ram looks like it sits quite a bit higher, so what size of a Drop shank will I need to keep it level?

Thank you
2018 Ram 2500 Crew Cab V-8 Hemi 6.4l-4:10 gears
2018 Crossroad Sunset trail
9 REPLIES 9

Big1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had that same truck and gears and I was towing a 12,000 lbs fiver with it, you will have no problem towing that weight and with the payload of about 3000 it will tow that like it's not even back there. Like someone said it need the high rpm to make power but that's what they do.
2022 Ram Laramie 3500 6.7L CTD CCLB
2019 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a newer Ram than perhaps you have the 8spd auto, a big plus.

The 6.4 is a formidable work horse and sounds like your well within its capabilities.

I've used the same WDH on 3 different trucks, only some adjustments....assuming your using a WDH.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
you should have a nice towing rig. we tow an approx 10k lb TT loaded to camp with a 2017 ford f250 6.2 gasser.

not familiar with the ram tranny but i lock out 6th gear on my truck when towing. works better.

i get about 8.5mpg when towing

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I needed a 6" drop shank for my Ram 2500, with a 9500 lbs trailer. Remember that your 2500 won't sag nearly as much as your half ton did. I think I drop an inch or so when I hook up, but I don't remember exactly.

The 6.4 should do fine with your trailer. My friend had a 6.4 and it pulled a slightly heavier 5th wheel. His biggest complaint was the gearing. Its a gas engine, its going to rev to get in the power band, but the spacing of the gears annoyed him. He'd approach an incline and the truck would downshift to 4th and try to hold speed, then eventually drop into 2nd (completely skipping 3rd gear) and the RPMs would race. He would usually stay in 2nd gear to the top of the hill before it finally started to shift again.

I'm sure this could be mitigated by "manually" shifting into 3rd if you approach an incline though. Other than that, its a great truck. The gas is super quiet and creates a lot of power. Its substantially less expensive than the CTD, but its pretty capable, especially at those lower weights you are towing. I'm sure you'll be quite pleased once you figure out the quirks of the transmission.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I pulled my 12K fifth wheel with a 6.4L 2500. Did the job fine, but the RPM's needed to make the power didn't suit me. It will do fine for you.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Measure from the center of the receiver and from the bottom of the level trailer coupler to the ground. The difference should give you a good idea of what you need. Or just back the truck up to the trailer and eyeball the difference.

Missouri_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! I appreciate the input. Mine only has 67 miles on it at the moment.
2018 Ram 2500 Crew Cab V-8 Hemi 6.4l-4:10 gears
2018 Crossroad Sunset trail

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I can't answer what size drop shank you'll need but I have a 10,000 pound 5th wheel that I tow with a 2017 3500 Ram with the 6.4 Hemi. It tows great and when I was within my first 5000 miles, I got 8.5mpg-9mpg when towing. Now that I have 8,500 miles on the truck, I'm seeing 9.7mpg-10.2mpg consistently. My previous tow vehicle was a 2015 Chevy 2500HD with the 6.0 and It never got better than 8.5mpg
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œPullingโ€ is part of it. Whatโ€™s the RAMโ€™s payload? (The carrying capability) RAMโ€™s max trailer weight?

โ€œso what size of a Drop shank will I need to keep it level?โ€ Easy! Measure.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad