cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ram tow ratings

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking to purchase a Grand Design Solitude 384GK. The GVWR is 16,000 lbs. UVW 13,400 with the hitch weight of 3,150. My truck is a 2011 3500 Mega Cab dually, 4x4 ,3.73 gears, with the 6.7. Doing some homework of the tow rating of my truck am I seeing right of 2,600 payload and 12,950 Max. trailer? Seems a bit light for a 1 ton dually. At those numbers the Solitude 384GK will be to big for my truck.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport
50 REPLIES 50

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's enough of the member flaming. Thread closed.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
OLD

The payload is of course estimates as each truck has a different curb weight that effects load and trailer capacities.

Does it say GCWR is an estimate??? Does it say axle ratings are estimates???

You are a smart guy I am surprised you did not just explain why they are "ESTIMATES".
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jack Mayer wrote:
It is always interesting to watch these discussions. Those that are towing in the 21K area can certainly use a LDT for that. I would be the last to say that an HDT is a requirement. People choose HDTs for a variety of reasons....mostly because they tow any trailer well, and are more comfortable doing so. And they are extremely flexible. Those items are not important to everyone, or can be met by other trucks. Clearly an HDT is not for everyone. However, if you are towing a 23+K 5er it is certainly something you should at least consider. It will do a far better job than a Ram 5500 (which is the only LDT that I would consider for that load range). If you have a 16K 5er, I'd say you clearly do not need an HDT.

I tow a 23K 5er and I am within front/rear axle ratings and combined load ratings. I have towed in all weather and road conditions. I can tell you the truck handles the load with confidence.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rick

BTW thanks for the personal slam!

There is NO way I would allow my wife to drive around a Smart car. She has no issue driving our RAM Dually. But hey it's nice to have choices!

My comments were not made directly at you! They were a general statement.

Jack_Mayer
Explorer
Explorer
It is always interesting to watch these discussions. Those that are towing in the 21K area can certainly use a LDT for that. I would be the last to say that an HDT is a requirement. People choose HDTs for a variety of reasons....mostly because they tow any trailer well, and are more comfortable doing so. And they are extremely flexible. Those items are not important to everyone, or can be met by other trucks. Clearly an HDT is not for everyone. However, if you are towing a 23+K 5er it is certainly something you should at least consider. It will do a far better job than a Ram 5500 (which is the only LDT that I would consider for that load range). If you have a 16K 5er, I'd say you clearly do not need an HDT.
Jack & Danielle Mayer NO PMs Please - Email
2009 Volvo 780, 535hp/1850 tq, Herrin Smart car hauler bed
2015 44.5' New Horizons Majestic

HDT and Solar RV Info

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
I posted:r wrote:
I personally agree with you on this, but they'll be HDH's/HDT's that will HGHLY disagree because they are behind the times and don't know or understand the capabilities of the new/newer 1 ton Dually's from 2013 and up..

I don't know how they figure "cheaper" for the HDT when MOST of them have purchased ANOTHER car to drive around instead of the semi...cost of the car/insurance/fuel and maintenance.. and then same for the HDT...If I were going to tow a 25-30# 5er, (though, supposedly, my truck could do that.)..I wouldn't buy the 5er... MOST people don't want a semi cab towing 5er's that only have a GVWR of 15K-25K( some HDT's on escapees forum SWEAR YOU HAVE TI HAVE A HDT to tow a 16K GVW 5er[emoticon]..
I stated:

"It's so much nicer with a truck you can drive everywhere you want to go, take it to work, haul stuff in the bed, drive it to church or go sight seeing in it and use it in 4 wheel drive and be safe about it when needed.
Some need to wake up and "smell the coffee"[emoticon]"

RickSo stated:

But, some of us that are behind the times do understand perfectly the capabilities on the newer one ton Duallyโ€™s thatโ€™s why some of us have chosen to use a HDT instead. You have mentioned many times that you are a professional engineer so you should drop in at the HDT forum and talk with some of the many engineers over there. They are very knowledgeable in many different fields of engineering and seem to have a very good understanding and donโ€™t appear to be behind the times. (IMO)
As to your presumptuous and derogatory comments above that border on being prejudiceโ€ฆโ€ฆI would have expected more from a professional. It seriously calls into question your credibility."

I'll answer by saying:
Did I state you were behind the names, or EVERYONE was behind the times? I stated those who think you need a HDT to tow a 16K with, or those who think you need one to tow even some higher weights with a HDT are behind the times..

Tell me where I ever stated I was a "professional" Engineer, (your words, not mine), though I've been one for 41 years in manufacturing, Quality and R&D.

...and you question my credibility??? You don't even know me, or very little about me..and you question my integrity and honor..over a silly towing topic...prejudice?? Sounds like you're digging, to make a case. I've a met lot of Engineers in my 41 years of being one, some on line...Having been on the escapees forum and been "piled on"and made to feel very unwelcome due to me having basically the same discussion as we're having now, why would I want to go back and try to stand up against a clique to defend something facing a stacked deck?

Due to you questioning my capabilities, which calls into question, in my opinion, my honor, integrity and my character, you should use your block feature so that you won't have to read my drivel anymore...Sad, you base your opinion and cast judgement on someone for me stating that a 1 ton dually can tow some of these heavier weights...

I really don't carte what you think of me as an Engineer, I have quite a bit of credibility where I've worked for the last 23 years, and they sign my paychecks, and THEY, unlike you, really know me.

thanks for your cut's on my character and credibility, should help boost your ego...on the internet:R
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

RickSo
Explorer
Explorer
First off I think that the newer 1-ton duallies are all very capable and what you use is usually based on personal preference and finances. I am glad you are enjoying your trucks and the RV lifestyle.

Jim,
I have been a long time member on many RV forums and have seen many of your posts that have helped people regarding the weights of RV's and their tow vehicles capabilities.

NC Hauler wrote:
I was arguing that you don't need a HDT now a days since from 13 and on up, 1 ton dually's can tow heavy also..up to their recommended towing weights.

One thing I have found over the years is that the RV lifestyle is not really based on what we need but more of what we want. (IMO) Many people would ask why don't you just stay in the nicest hotel you can for the money you have spent on your RV. They can't make any sense of it but I know this group here on the forum can no matter if it is $5000 pop-up tent trailer or multi-million dollar coach.

tinner12002 wrote:
I'm sure our 1 tons are cheaper to insure, plate, fuel, drive, park and repair if needed and I bet more fun to drive in addition to being plenty capable of towing nearly any 5th wheel RV out there!!

Usually with the insurance companies I deal with the cost of insurance is based on the value of what you are insuring. I pay $200 more a year to insure my 2015 Volvo vs my 2015 GMC 3500 Denali based on replacement value. If I had built a used HDT from a base cost of 50K then it probably would have been less to insure the HDT. Plates are the same for both trucks in my area. I get about the same mileage with both trucks pulling my heavy trailer.....just a lot less stops with the HDT since it holds 264 more gallons of fuel and can pick where I fill up not when I have to fill up. As more fun to drive....well between my two trucks the Volvo is way more fun because it is a more relaxed comfortable capable ride. I agree your Dodge 3500's are plenty capable of towing nearly any 5th wheel RV out there.

NC Hauler wrote:

I personally agree with you on this, but they'll be HDH's/HDT's that will HGHLY disagree because they are behind the times and don't know or understand the capabilities of the new/newer 1 ton Dually's from 2013 and up..

I don't know how they figure "cheaper" for the HDT when MOST of them have purchased ANOTHER car to drive around instead of the semi...cost of the car/insurance/fuel and maintenance.. and then same for the HDT...If I were going to tow a 25-30# 5er, (though, supposedly, my truck could do that.)..I wouldn't buy the 5er... MOST people don't want a semi cab towing 5er's that only have a GVWR of 15K-25K( some HDT's on escapees forum SWEAR YOU HAVE TI HAVE A HDT to tow a 16K GVW 5er:h..
It's so much nicer with a truck you can drive everywhere you want to go, take it to work, haul stuff in the bed, drive it to church or go sight seeing in it and use it in 4 wheel drive and be safe about it when needed.
Some need to wake up and "smell the coffee":B

But, some of us that are behind the times do understand perfectly the capabilities on the newer one ton Duallyโ€™s thatโ€™s why some of us have chosen to use a HDT instead. You have mentioned many times that you are a professional engineer so you should drop in at the HDT forum and talk with some of the many engineers over there. They are very knowledgeable in many different fields of engineering and seem to have a very good understanding and donโ€™t appear to be behind the times. (IMO)
As to your presumptuous and derogatory comments above that border on being prejudiceโ€ฆโ€ฆI would have expected more from a professional. It seriously calls into question your credibility.

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Don't forget the safety factor! A lot of HDT people load a "NOT SO SMART" car on the back thinking they are saving money and the world.

Well, this is a reply to your "NOT SO SMART" comment. Many of us enoy the RV lifestyle in different ways and buy things that make it more enjoyable for us. I know my DW loves driving the SC and having a way to get around when I have decided to take a tour with friends on our motorbikes. She wonโ€™t drive the Volvo or the GMC 1-ton Dually and she didnโ€™t want to be stuck at RV parks with no way to do her own thing. She keeps telling me that the SC is safer than my motorbike but I havenโ€™t been hurt on a bike in my 45 years of riding. The money and saving the world had nothing to do with my decision to buy a SCโ€ฆjust a happy wife.
Rick
----------------------------------------
2015 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, 500/1850
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali 4x4 Dually
2012 Excel W41GKE Wild Cargo Toy Hauler
2010 BMW K1300GT / 2008 BMW R1200GS
2016 Polaris RZR 1000S

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Hey them RAM's sure can tow a lot!

Top of chart states 'SAE J2807 Compliant'

And then Number 1 in the 'fine print' (caveats)
1) Payload and Max Trailer Weights are ESTIMATED values

:H

:S:S:S
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hey them RAM's sure can tow a lot!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Personally I don't plan on ever entering a NOT SO Smart car. All I know is who will win if I have a head on with one.

While I would not think about one, I did see a crash test of one and to say the least impressive
Crash Test 1

This is 5th gears 70 mph crash test.

Smart Car 70 mph crash test

First vid they do comment on hitting a larger vehicle with a GM truck in background. Not advisable.

Second vid was ridiculous. Why were the concrete barriers at an angle? Hit that at straight on at 70 and see what happens...lights out!

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Personally I don't plan on ever entering a NOT SO Smart car. All I know is who will win if I have a head on with one.

While I would not think about one, I did see a crash test of one and to say the least impressive
Crash Test 1

Well, it would be big enough to bury me in..Don't ant no part of a car that is that small no matter test results...I'd have no faith in it..no where to carry much, and dies it go well in the snow? I've seen prices on these little cars and the manufacturer is REALLY proud of them...too much to pay for no more than you're getting.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Crash Test 1

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Don't forget the safety factor! A lot of HDT people load a "NOT SO SMART" car on the back thinking they are saving money and the world.

That is the car most commonly mentioned by them...just barely big enough for two adults..We got 2 boxers....They don't want to mention cost of car, of insurance, fuel and maintenance...

I've been in them and don't really feel all that safe inside them...too little for much use
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet