cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ready Brake on 2011 Honda Fit

Team_D
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering a Ready Brake for use with my Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar. Has anybody installed these on a Honda Fit? How was routing the brake cable? I'm trying to decide between professional installation and doing it myself.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you
6 REPLIES 6

golfknut
Explorer
Explorer
We use the Ready Brake (Ready Brute Elite tow bar) on our 2009 Fit.
I did not install it but I talked with the technician who installed it and he said he didn't have any issues with the installation.
From the mounting bracket at the bumper it's routed to the right, and then under the battery, and then to the firewall.
2018 Newmar Canyon Star 3513

luvlabs
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you are good to go. The break away switch is included. I'd add the battery charger to your "package". It eliminates having to pull fuses that Honda recommends you pull before towing. The tire pressure system is fine but you might be adding one to the coach anyway. You need to weigh the cost of the 4 sensors and booster you need for the coach system vs. the cost of adding the four sensors from RVi brake.
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (sold)
2012 Tiffin Allegro 32CA (traded)
2012 Honda Fit

Team_D
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, I did my homework and got on the RVi2 website. Looks like the Brake away is pretty easy to install. I like the Ready Brake system better, but after poking around last night, I think running the cable through the engine compartment will be beyond my skill set, where as running a single electrical wire is much more forgiving in the routing ( not as much concern for tight bends, etc. ). This wouldn't be a concern in a larger vehicle where there was a little more space under the hood, but in the Fit, there is just no room in there!

The other nice feature with the RVi2 is I get a brake monitor and the option for tire sensors.

That said, if anybody has any Honda Fit specific advice on installing either of these, I'm all ears.

Thanks again

Team_D
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. RVi2 Brake looks a little easier to install on the car, I like easy:) However, is the brake away switch included or is that a separate item? If it is separate, what is a good one to investigate? Will it work without the brake away?

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
luvlabs wrote:
A much easier way is to forget the ReadyBrake and install an RVi2 braking system. It sits in the floor pan and takes about 5 seconds to set up. It only weighs 10-25 lbs and is easy to carry. I've been using one since 2012 with our Fit and it has been perfect.

The only installation is running a wire through the firewall to the brake away switch - and that is a one time deal. Everything else is self contained. You should also consider the RVi battery charger system since the Fit battery is really small.

The only installation of the ReadyBrake is the one time running the wire through firewall as well. After that, hooking up is a one second clip snap with nothing to lift in and out or store. And a lot fewer parts to fail... ๐Ÿ˜‰
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

luvlabs
Explorer
Explorer
A much easier way is to forget the ReadyBrake and install an RVi2 braking system. It sits in the floor pan and takes about 5 seconds to set up. It only weighs 10-25 lbs and is easy to carry. I've been using one since 2012 with our Fit and it has been perfect.

The only installation is running a wire through the firewall to the brake away switch - and that is a one time deal. Everything else is self contained. You should also consider the RVi battery charger system since the Fit battery is really small.
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (sold)
2012 Tiffin Allegro 32CA (traded)
2012 Honda Fit