cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ReadyBrake or Blue Ox AutoStop?

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the process of shopping for a tow setup for my 2013 Ford Fiesta, looking at tow bars and brake systems. I've been looking at both the ReadyBrake and Blue Ox's AutoStop. Amazon lists the Blue Ox Alpha tow bar with AutoStop for $655 (but out of stock) (Amazon link) which sounds like a pretty good price for both tow bar and brake system.

I've read more about the ReadyBrake but not much about AutoStop, so I was looking for possible feedback on the AutoStop system.

Thanks everyone!
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad
22 REPLIES 22

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
ezgoin wrote:
ThorResidencyNewbee wrote:
Does anyone know if the break away system is required for towing or just optional?

So what does this thread have to do with whether break away systems are required!:?

Bill...
You're being a bad boy now, so be nice and quit trying to kill the messenger. Don't be surprised if you get less responses to your next post and even if you might be broken down alongside the road.
As for the subject matter, it's still related enough, not to warrant a new thread and being chastised for it IMO. Besides, you have to cut a little slack, now and then, right or wrong, don'tcha think?

Tropical36,
Thanks for the slap on the hands! I deserved it. I posted this early this morning after a sleepless night, so my temper was short and the coffee hadn't kicked in yet. My apologies to all!:o

Bill & Terry

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
ezgoin wrote:
Does anyone know if the break away system is required for towing or just optional?

So what does this thread have to do with whether break away systems are required!:?

Bill...
You're being a bad boy now, so be nice and quit trying to kill the messenger. Don't be surprised if you get less responses to your next post and even if you might be broken down alongside the road.
As for the subject matter, it's still related enough, not to warrant a new thread and being chastised for it IMO. Besides, you have to cut a little slack, now and then, right or wrong, don'tcha think?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer

Bill & Terry

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
ezgoin wrote:
Has my thread been hijacked???

Well, we're still on the subject of READYSTOP and break away systems so far, so I'd have to vote no.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
Has my thread been hijacked???

Bill & Terry

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
why not just get the breakaway kit that matches the Readybrute integrated towbar/braking system? IIRC, it is only about $100.

It's called the READYSTOP and I ordered it along with the rest. Easy install, like the rest of it, as well. Order here... http://www.amazon.com/N-S-A-RV-Products-RS-5000-Vehicle/dp/B00IK56R4A
or here for a pretty good price... http://www.adventurerv.net/readystop-towed-vehicle-break-away-kit-p-28121.html

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
why not just get the breakaway kit that matches the Readybrute integrated towbar/braking system? IIRC, it is only about $100.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

ThorResidencyNe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comments. Does anyone have a preference on break away systems? I've added the ReadyBrute Elite tow bar with a Blue Ox base plate. So far I've only seen the Blue Ox break away kit and it looks good. Any other suggestions or should I just go with that one?

Thanks again.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer

Probably varies from state to state, but no matter, as one should always practice being as safe as possible, just like with the braking system itself and if one should ever lose a toad that hurts or kills someone, you can bet that some lawyer is going to create more stink than one would want to smell.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II

Depends on the state. Some states require such, others do not.

To answer the question of if its 'required' or not, you'll have to look up state laws regarding such, for the states you'll be traveling in.

However, in researching such laws, any 'state laws' found on websites of various supplemental brake companies can be taken with less than a grain of salt. They are notorious for leaving key pieces of various laws out and not telling all the details, in the interest of making it look like their products are required by law much more than they really are.

However, whether it is legally required or not, it is a really, really good idea, and something you should seriously consider for safety.

Will
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

ThorResidencyNe
Explorer
Explorer

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
The Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar with the AutoStop is rated for 7,500 lbs. and can be found for under $900. The Blue Ox Alpha tow bar is rated for 6,500 lbs. which is more than enough for the Ford Fiesta. $655 would be an economical and serviceable solution.

I have the Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar with Blue Ox AutoStop surge braking, Blue Ox BrakeLock breakway and everything works well so far.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
ezgoin wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
ezgoin wrote:
I'm in the process of shopping for a tow setup for my 2013 Ford Fiesta, looking at tow bars and brake systems. I've been looking at both the ReadyBrake and Blue Ox's AutoStop. Amazon lists the Blue Ox Alpha tow bar with AutoStop for $655 (but out of stock) (Amazon link) which sounds like a pretty good price for both tow bar and brake system.

I've read more about the ReadyBrake but not much about AutoStop, so I was looking for possible feedback on the AutoStop system.

Thanks everyone!

That's a lot more than what a READYBRAKE would cost.

Not really. I don't have a tow bar and the Blue Ox Alpha price above INCLUDES tow bar AND AutoStop. The ReadyBrute Elite that includes both runs $1,200.

OK and misinterpreted, thinking that it was for just the brake attachment. Haven't researched that particular Blue Ox fully, but the RB Elite are the only alum bars I know of that are rated for 8000lbs.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
I too have wondered if anyone out there is using Blue Ox's version of ReadyBrake, the AutoStop. Have not seen much discussion about it.

$665 for both a Blue ox Tow bar AND Auto Stop is an absolute steal, IMO. The Readybrake unit that includes both (ReadyBrute Elite) costs almost twice that much (although I believe the Readybrute tow bar is probably a bit more stout than a Blue Ox Alpha).

I do recall when looking closely at the Autostop unit, I liked the way they routed the cable on the tow bar a bit better than Readybrake's design. However, on the flipside, it seemed the Autostop had a lot more moving parts internally that pulled the cable, that could possibly be a bit more failure prone in the long run. Impossible to say, though, without some specific owner experience.

I do know, as already said, that the Readybrake unit is great, simply works and works great. Have had it on two different vehicles now, and wouldn't want to own anything else.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")