cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Receiver hitch rattle reducers - do these work?

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
Finally bolted on a front receiver so I can carry the kayaks with the 5er and see there is some slop. I see alot of others with a set-up like this have used cross-straps to the bumper to keep the goalpost from moving around. Has anyone used one of these Blue Ox or Hitch Rider tighteners and did it stop the shaking or do you still need cross-straps?

Blue Ox: http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessories/Blue-Ox/BX88224.html
Hitch Tightener: http://www.hitchrider.com/nowobble.htm

I left out the Roadmaster Quiet Hitch because it didn't seem strong enough compared to the others. But, if its good or there's another one out there that works, please share.

Thanks.
2014 Chevy 2500 Duramax, short bed, 4WD
2004 Keystone Laredo 27RL
Escapees member
10 REPLIES 10

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Swampman597 wrote:
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the suggestions. I'm not sure if my question has been answered though.

So, has anyone used one of these rattle reducers only for a front mounted crossbar for supporting kayaks or did you still need to use the cross-straps?

Mike

Well I might be able to give you some first hand knowledge on this particular aspect in about a week if you want to wait that long. Due to an injured knee I just had a front receiver put on my Van two days ago and will be getting a mobility scooter and carrier by this weekend. The carrier and scooter will weigh about 200lbs and my plan is to use my front receiver with them. While the carrier comes with it's own anti rattle device if you want I can see if my HITCH VICE will fit the carrier and receiver and see how that works.

If you're interested please PM me and we can work out the details on what I might do to let you know how this combo works for my particular set up.

One sort of hick up here is that the collar on the front receiver I just had installed is a Hidden Hitch and upon inspection I noticed that it is sort of rounded whereas the collar on my rear receiver is flat on the outside and the HITCH VICE clamps against that collar surface and against the draw bar. This collar is the short band around the end of the receiver tube where the draw bar goes in. This collar might only be there on the higher class rated receivers because of their higher TW ratings, but I'm not sure what the real reason for the collar is. To get proper clampint the rounded collar on the Hidden Hitch receiver might need to be ground down some to make it flatter for the HITCH VICE to function properly and I will not be able to make that mod for a couple of months since I'm currently on a 60 day roadtrip and don't really have the facilities or desire to work in colder weather to drop the receiver and make that sort of modification.

Larry

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the suggestions. I'm not sure if my question has been answered though.

So, has anyone used one of these rattle reducers only for a front mounted crossbar for supporting kayaks or did you still need to use the cross-straps?

Mike
2014 Chevy 2500 Duramax, short bed, 4WD
2004 Keystone Laredo 27RL
Escapees member

mikegt4
Explorer
Explorer
I made my own out of a piece of thick wall square tubing by cutting it so that I have one wall and two corners resulting in a shallow and wide "U" section. I used a square shaped "U" bolt for holding axles to leaf springs to clamp it to the hitch. Has worked great for many years. It is similar to this device except I didn't have to weld on a rod for the second end.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/anti-rattle-hitch-receiver-immobilizer/A-p8465957e

Most of these type of anti rattle clamps are shown raising the ball mount UP to take out the slack. I clamp mine DOWN in it's natural position, seems like a better way to do it to me.

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
I used a J-pin with 2" hitches. Had to drill a hole for the anti rattle portion, but after that it was a quick easy on easy off never a problem.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
I have found that wood shims from Home Depot or Lowes do the job. After you slide your hitch into the receiver, and before putting a load on it, tap a shim in under the bottom and then break off the excess.
Currently Between RVs

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
a 5/16 flat U-bolt clamp installed at an angle over the tongue and receiver took all the slop and noise out of our setup.
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I enjoy the noise. at least I know the TT is still back there.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
A cheap and easy fix is with a large nut and bolt. Drill a hole through the receiver slightly larger than the bolt diameter then have a nut welded over it with the hole centered. Thread a bolt through it and tighten it against the shank. Problem solved. I have done this on several hitches where the bike racks would shake and wobble. Works great and costs about $1 plus a beer for the welder.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
IAMICHABOD wrote:
I have tried almost every Anti Rattle device on the market, most have been no good or so complicated and cumbersome that they are useless. Including the Blue OX.
Until I found the one at Hitch Rider.

Their Hitch Vice is the best and easiest one I have come across and it really works.

Here is a previous thread

No need to repeat what I said in that thread ... the HITCH VISE JUST WORKS and I highly recommend it. One reason is it has a large clamping area and not just that round thin surface contact "U" type bolt that the Blue Ox uses.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have tried almost every Anti Rattle device on the market, most have been no good or so complicated and cumbersome that they are useless. Including the Blue OX.
Until I found the one at Hitch Rider.

Their Hitch Vice is the best and easiest one I have come across and it really works.

Here is a previous thread
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C