cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reciever weight rating.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I can't find the weight rating on the reciever. I have a 2500HD GMC SLE. I may have overlooked it in the book and there is no sticker on the reciever. Off hand and in this forums collective wisdom anyone know what it is? Thanks.
24 REPLIES 24

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have not heard, nor read, of any major receiver failures on the GM vehicles for several years. I think they may have gotten their act together on that regard.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The 1999 thru 2013 GM receivers were indeed junk. I don't know if newer ones are much better. Here are some photos so you can see where the problem lies: Photos

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
hornet28 wrote:
A hitch does not have to be 2 1/2" to be a class 5. They make 2" class 5's. As far as the stock GM hitch do yourself a favor and buy a good hitch instead of the OE junk

The OEM hitch on a 16 GM 2500 is junk?

I have had a 2013 with the same hitch, have a 2015, and was responsible for a small fleet for a while with the same, and none were junk to my knowledge despite a lot of abuse on the fleet vehicles. It's one of the few OEM hitches I know of rated @ 2K lbs weight carrying.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:
A hitch does not have to be 2 1/2" to be a class 5. They make 2" class 5's. As far as the stock GM hitch do yourself a favor and buy a good hitch instead of the OE junk

That is correct, I had a 1997 HD 3/4 ton Chevy truck with a 10,000lb factory hitch and it was 2 inch receiver.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer

Beentherefixedt
Explorer
Explorer
The easy way to determine this is to measure the opening to determine if you have a class V or class IV receiver/Hitch.

A 2 1/2 SQ opening is a Class V.

Here is a copy from the site mentioned below for the Class V:

" Class V hitches are weight carrying (WC) and weight distributing (WD) hitches depending on the vehicle and hitch specifications.
Class V hitches used as weight carrying are rated up to 12,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1200 lbs.
Class V hitches used for weight distributing are rated up to 17,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1700 lbs.
Your ball mount and hitch ball need to both be rated for Class V to safely tow these weight loads. To use this class of hitch for weight distribution requires a weight distribution system.
A Class V hitch has a 2-1/2" square receiver opening.
Class V hitches attach to the vehicle frame only."

Here is the site to look at for a complete explanation of the ratings of each class.

https://www.drawtite-hitches.com/learning_center/general-towing-classes

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
On the bottom, lol, well I guess I was not willing to get on my back on the cold ground. Thanks for the info on that.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
ken56 wrote:
2016, I may have missed it but will look closer when I get near it again. There are always 2 rating, with WD and without WD.

On my 2015 its located on the bottom.

2K across the board weight carrying or weight distributing.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
2016, I may have missed it but will look closer when I get near it again. There are always 2 rating, with WD and without WD.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
What year? I find it strange that you can't find the numbers stamped onto the hitch.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5