cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommend a brake controller and weight distribution hitch?

Aimcat
Explorer
Explorer
We need a brake controller in our truck for our new travel trailer what can you guys recommend? I wanted to purchase then have our shop put on. Next question, our new trailer will be 25 feet long total. Do we need a weight distribution hitch if so what can you recommend?
16 REPLIES 16

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Aimcat wrote:
Which WB hitch will I need because I notice they come in different sizes?

Yes, they come in different weight ratings. You want one that is rated higher than what your loaded tongue / hitch weight will be. Give yourself some room for fluctuating tongue / hitch weight. If your ball park number is 700 lbs, you want a hitch rated for at least 800 lbs.

The reason for going with a higher rating is, tongue / hitch weight is not a constant number. It goes up and down during every trip. Different things get loaded in different places, holding tanks get filled up, groceries and water get used up, etc. Also, depending on location (in relation to trailer axles), your holding tanks can have a significant impact on your tongue / hitch weight.

I have a galley tank located up front. It can add a couple hundred lbs to my tongue weight. My fresh water tank is behind the axles. It takes weight off the tongue. My dry hitch weight was advertised at 880 lbs. During a trip, my tongue weight can be anywhere between 975 and 1200 lbs. I have a BlueOx Swaypro hitch, rated for 1400 lbs. Their 1000 lb hitch would not have been enough, and, the next one up was rated at 1400 lbs. I believe they have one rated at 800 lbs.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Aimcat
Explorer
Explorer
Which WB hitch will I need because I notice they come in different sizes?

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
I used a Prodigy P3 Controller and a Reese Dual Cam Weight Distribution hitch towing a 27ft Wilderness. Now have built in controller and the same hitch for a 30ft Sunnybrook.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
Any of the Tekonsha Prodigy brake controllers.

Either of these WDH:
Equal-i-zer 4pt
BlueOx SwayPro
Reese Strait Line

^^^THIS!
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Aimcat
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the info. I will get those numbers for you so you can better assist with what exactly I need.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
Regarding a weight distribution hitch, more than likely yes. Length is only one part of the equation...your TV is what? Wet hitch weight is? Wet TT total weight is what? What are you carrying in the TV? Sorry but I'm betting you have no idea as to weight.

To add to:

Wet hitch weight is what your camper weighs when it is loaded for a camping trip. A good ball park figure for loaded trailer weight is to add 1000 lbs to the unloaded weight of the trailer. To get a ball park on hitch weight, take loaded weight number, and multiply it by .13. Add 100 lbs (for WD hitch) and this is the weight, associated with the trailer, that your truck will need the capacity to carry.

Your truck has a max tow capacity of 8200 lbs. That is without passengers, cargo or aftermarket accessories. As you add these things, that 8200 lb capacity is going down, pound for pound.

Your truck also has a max rating for carrying weight (payload). That number is on a decal (or sticker) on your drivers door, or door post (max occupant / cargo weight). You need enough payload to carry the weight of any added accessories (bed covers, bed liners, undercoating, etc), people, pets, or cargo that is loaded in or on the truck. The weight of the distributing hitch and loaded trailer hitch weight, are considered cargo weight. It is very common to run out of payload before you get close to that advertised max tow weight.

Your hitch receiver has two numbers stamped on it. The lower number is the max hitch weight without a WD hitch. The higher number is max hitch weight with weight distribution.

When you hang the trailer hitch weight on the back of your truck. It adds weight to your rear axle and takes weight off of your front axle. Too much lost weight on the front axle, creates steering and handling (ie: trailer sway) issues. The primary purpose of a weight distributing hitch is to use leveraging to restore some (in some cases all) of that weight lost from the front axle.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
I agree on the Prodigy brake controllers. Also X2 on the Reese dual cam hitch.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
X3...great combo

But...gotta setup the brake controller well...most complaints helped solve were due to not setting up correctly...both the WD system and controler

downtheroad wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Blue Ox Sway Pro weight distribution system.

Excellent recommendation.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"2008 Dodge 1500 hemi. Max tow for it is 8200"

I guessed correctly...still no idea as to weight...except max tow.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Any of the Tekonsha Prodigy brake controllers.

Either of these WDH:
Equal-i-zer 4pt
BlueOx SwayPro
Reese Strait Line
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Aimcat wrote:
2008 Dodge 1500 hemi. Max tow for it is 8200

What is its available payload? That is far more important than what its tow limit is.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

I used a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 for 10 years with flawless operation.

You definitely want a WD hitch.

My hitch was a Reese Dual Cam system and it worked perfectly as well. The trailer was 34' long and the Dual Cam kept it from any kind of sway in even the worst of cross winds. Of course the #1 sway is to ensure the trailer sets level when the bars are under tension and that proper weight is transferred to the front axle. The sway control should only be needed when external conditions induce it.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

Excellent recommendation.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Aimcat
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Dodge 1500 hemi. Max tow for it is 8200