cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reese Dual Cam hitch weight ratings

Frankrey1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a chance to buy a used dual cam system. I have a a 8400 lb tt,1240 lb tongue weight, dry. The hitch itself is rated at 12,000 lb but the tongue weight rating is 1200 lb. So I'm over a bit on the tongue weight. Am I ok with this?
10 REPLIES 10

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Frankrey1 wrote:
Thanks to all for your replies. If I'm understanding, as long as the bars are rated above 1400 lbs the rest of the system should work?

This is a trunnion bar system, correct? Can't recall if the round bar system had 1200lb wd bars.... If it's a round bars system, I do not know of any replacement bars rated higher.

If it is a trunnion model, verify the age of the hitch head!!! If it is an older model, there is a good chance the new wd bars will not fit the hitch head if you need to step up to the 1500lb bars.

Get the model and call Reese to ask.

Does the hitch head have a square washer with two hole in it to adjust the hitch head angle? If so, probably will not work with the new bars. It is also possible it is a model that had issues with the head "ears" (that go around the shank ) failing along the hitch head. Or is it a newer model with the fine tooth washer for the hitch head angle adjustment? If so, the new bars may work.

Hard to say if the 1200lb bars will be enough.

Good luck!!!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
BTW, my hitch weighs around 1225+\- and I'm using 1200 lb bars! No issues at all and they transfer the weight properly.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
Frankrey1 wrote:
Thanks to all for your replies. If I'm understanding, as long as the bars are rated above 1400 lbs the rest of the system should work?

Yes, otherwise go up in bar size and verify the hitch head rating.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

Frankrey1
Explorer
Explorer

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
Not only will it be fine (with the correct bars) like BarneyS said but in my opinion once the tongue weights get real high like that the Dual Cam is about the only choice.
Double check that the hitch head is Reese as well and rated for a higher spring bar.
Etrailer.com for spring bars.
Download the instructions from Reese and read them 17 times before attempting to install it!!!
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your looking at an approx 9700lb loaded TT. this would give you a properly loaded TW of approx. 1200 lbs (12%). the trailer needs to be loaded properly. you can`t just load the trailer for a trip. you need to know its TW. too heavy or light will result in stability issues. most say between 10-15% is good. I like to be at 12%. I believe that is where you want to be. So with that said you need to weigh your trailer loaded for a trip for your trailers loaded weight. However I believe my numbers are very close to where you`ll be loaded for a trip.

With that the DC system your considering will work just fine.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

ggardne2
Explorer
Explorer
I used to tow with a 1200 lb Dual Cam with a trailer that had a hitch weight similar to yours. I found that this setup was too much for Reese's standard snap up brackets, if you hit the right bump or dip in the road the brackets would bend from the overload. That was several years ago and now Reese offers a heavy duty bracket that has a welded reinforcement plate welded on both sides, you may get this set up to work if you purchase the heavy duty brackets.

Frankrey1
Explorer
Explorer
That's the dry weight. At half the price of new i'm trying to convince myself it will be good.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is the trailers actual loaded to travel weight? Is 8400lbs the dry weight or GVWR?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
You need 1400lb or larger bars. The hitch will work but not as well as it would with the right bars. If your dry tongue weight is 1240lbs then I suspect your tongue weight will be right around 1400lbs or even more when you are loaded and ready to go camping.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine