cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reese Straight Line Weight Distribution Hitch Question

hfrez
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Reese Straight Line Weight Distribution Hitch product number 66072 rated for #600. My new trailer requires #900 tongue weight.
Can I Just buy the Trunnion Spring bar rated for #1200 and replace the #600 ones?
Thanks ,
Harold
10 REPLIES 10

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
I have the heavier duty springs on mine, and my trailer weight is low low. I use big springs on a small trailer with no issue. That is never an issue, the opposite, using small springs on a big trailer is bad, but not the the other way.

Im in GA, would love to trade if we ever pass by.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
hfrez wrote:
I have a Reese Straight Line Weight Distribution Hitch product number 66072 rated for #600. My new trailer requires #900 tongue weight.
Can I Just buy the Trunnion Spring bar rated for #1200 and replace the #600 ones?
Thanks ,
Harold

I see your past this now and have the 1,200# WD bars. The Reese HP trunnion bar hitch head, pn 58167, has been revised several times over the years. Reese use to top out at 1,200# in WD mode back in the early 2,000 time frame. Then came heavier trailers and they offered the 1,700# WD bars, then the 1,500# WD bars and they still fit the same 58167 hitch head. They also started adding rating stickers on the side of the head. Like this

Here is the latest all cast steel HD trunnion bar head, 58167 at Etrailer as a stand alone part. Etrailer Reese 58167

The next issue was the hitch shank. The ratings on them changed and the 2" square shank topped out at 1,500#, if you wanted to use the 1,700# bars you have to upgrade to a 2 1/2" shank/receiver. On the 2 1/2" shank, the shank tapers down at the hitch head to fit into the 2" hitch head.

As to the WD bar sizes, the 600# and 800# WD bar look the same as the bar outer size and the trunnion lug head is the same, but the steel temper is different.

The 1,200, 1,500 and the 1,700 WD bar have the same trunnion head, bar size, but the temper of the steel is different.

That 58167 head fits all the newer 600 to 1,700# WD bars. Just heads up incase you get an old Reese WD bar, they use to years back, pre year 2,000 at least have smaller OD lugs on the trunnion bars. While they will fit the new 58167, do not mix a new larger trunnion lug WD bar with an older smaller trunnion lug WD bar. They do not lock up un the hitch head the same.

See here, the 800# bar next to a 1,200# wd bar. The 800# bar on the bottom

As ktmrfs stated, when you go to the 1,200# and up WD bar, the snap up brackets have had issues of bending open in turns in some cases. The issue also has occurred in less frequency on some of the older 1,000# WD bars when they use to offer that size WD bar. You have a few options in this case, if you are on the old style snap up's, bolt them to the frame. Use grade 5 or higher hardware. You can buy the newer reinforced snap up that have welded on gussets on the sides. Like this one, for $72 each. Reese snap up brackets at E trailer

These Reese Trunnion bar head instructions talks about the bolting on the older style WD brackets, page 5 Reese Trunnion bar hitch instructions

As FYI, before those new heavy duty snap up brackets came out, I was already converted to the 1,700# WD hitch system back in 2007 due the 1,600# loaded tongue weight of our current camper in my sig. Back then, the only option we had was bolting on the snap up. I bolted them on and I am still using them after putting on over 35K miles on the trailer later. In my case, I have a channel iron frame and I can use nuts and bolts and not self taping screws. You can see the round heads of the carriage bolts I used in the lower part of the snap up.

If you are running 1,200# and up WD bars, you really want to deal with the snap ups, bolt them on or get the new HD snap ups.

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
if you go to 1200lb or 1400lb bars and have an old system make sure you get the latest and greatest HD snap up brackets with additional gussets. The older gussets with lighter bars are known to end up bending with the heavy bars.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

hfrez
Explorer
Explorer
A little update. I bought the #1200 trunnions and they fit nicely. They are heavier and beefier then the #600 ones. I'm sure that means that anyone could also upgrade to the #800's without a problem. Definitely keep shopping for what you need though, prices ranged from $107 to $265 (for one). I was able to get a great deal on Amazon but etrailer.com was the next best.

I can see how the #1200 Trunnion's will improve the Weight Distribution in a good way.

hfrez
Explorer
Explorer
I'm also wondering if any of you found a noticeable difference in using the stronger bars?

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III
Another yes here. While you are at it, get the bars with the hook on the end and add the dual cam anti sway section. Been using that since 2004. All parts have a lifetime guarantee.
On edit, I think 1000 pound bars used to be available.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

Draggo
Explorer
Explorer
I went from 600 lb bars to 800 lb bars to 1200 lb bars all with the same hitch head and I've been using the 1200 bars for 14 years now so you should be fine to just get new bars.
Mike & Company
2021 GMC Sierra SLE (6.6L V-8, 3.73 rear gear)
2018 Coachmen Freedom Express 279RLDS
Reese W/D & HP DC

hfrez
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate it.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes. I think the heads are the same to 1200lbs. IIRC the 1500lb head is different.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

tlfield
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did, worked fine.
2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4
6.6L Gas, Crew cab, 6.5' bed
2015 Jayco Jayflight 29RKS
Reese DualCam