cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Register M/H in Calif

jblairh
Explorer
Explorer
Buying a Motorhome Diesel Pusher from a az dealer that was registered in Canada . Made in America . Will I have any problems registering in Calif ? extra fee's etc ? Thank You so much
22 REPLIES 22

jblairh
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You so Much Very informative . appreciate it

Community Alumni
Not applicable
hotpepperkid wrote:
gemsworld wrote:
lhenry8113 wrote:
I would try to keep it registered in Az.--Ca. fees are extremely high as you probably know.

Not true. AZ registration fees are almost twice as high as Ca's. I moved from CA to AZ and my vehicle registration fees practically doubled.

Really? give examples

What examples do you need? Suffice to say my vehicle registrations almost doubled in my vehicles. You can easily confirm it by visiting the CA and AZ DMV websites.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
OP started this on 3-7.
By now he should have completed purchase - or not.

However - LOTS of poor -to bad- information.
Often -and usually- by folks in states other than CA, posting how it's done where they live.

Homework assignment - CA:

Correct - the Diesel MH does not need a smog check.

Registration fees - CA.....the BIG HURT is the sales tax. Depending on the county, it is right at ten (10%) percent of the purchase price!
Claiming you bought it "cheap" - won't help with newer RV - the DMV will use Blue Book fore valuation and tax.

CA *resident* Registering in AZ - or other state: CA wants the revenue! It is a violation of the law to do so - resulting in more grief than you can imagine!
That includes Montana LLCs !!
A MH with a MT plate in CA - is flying a flag for the CHP, which says "stop me" for any probable cause. Better have a MT Driver's License in the operator's name - NOT an LLC.

However - there is an easy LEGAL solution (which may de too late for the OP now): If a CA resident purchases a vehicle out of state, and keeps (USES) that vehicle out of state for one year (used to be 90 days), he/she can legally avoid paying sales tax. Franchise tax board will require receipts to prove same.
(hint - Be creative for "work-arounds").

The CA resident *will* eventually pay registration fees - but not sales tax.

CA may require verification of VIN to register for verification (in CA).
Any PD should be able to do that.

Look up CA "90 day rule" on CA dot Gov - applies to vehicles, vessels (boats), aircraft.

During that "one year" the owner will need to register it somewhere. Suggest South Dakota - or AZ since it's already there - whichever "price is right". (Check with Americas Mailbox, Box Elder, SD.) No need for you or the vehicle to be "physically" in SD to do same.

Maybe this may help some CA residents - and folks posting to "investigate" to possibilities.

BTW - BIL has had a smog test facility for years.
Two CA neighbors with new MHs - now registered in CA - pd zero sales tax.

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
lhenry8113 wrote:
I would try to keep it registered in Az.--Ca. fees are extremely high as you probably know.

Not true. AZ registration fees are almost twice as high as Ca's. I moved from CA to AZ and my vehicle registration fees practically doubled.

Really? give examples
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

ghostrider421
Explorer
Explorer
Used to be an LLC was private. But no more. When Montana opened their llcs to another state to collect taxes - it broke the privacy law

https://rvtailgatelife.com/2019/montana-llc-registering-rv
Capt Phillip & Mattie
Guyana - 2013-2019 Dodge 1500, Lance camper - SOLD
Brasil - 2019 > 12m work boat conversion - leased out
Panana - 1976 > 16m Skookum ketch

jblairh
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You all for good advice

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Ok, everyone quit chasing squirrels here.
The first and foremost issue is if it's been "imported" of not. Would think a dealer or previous owner would have to import it to sell it here, but that's what you need to figure out first. The rest is normal vehicle registration.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Community Alumni
Not applicable
lhenry8113 wrote:

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
lhenry8113 wrote:

Ditto. I registered my motorcycle in Arizona.....1/3 the price of California. I may register ALL my vehicles there...especially my truck.

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Look into registering the RV in a Montana LLC. There are a few hurdles to jump over.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would look into the emissions part very closely. There's some crazy stuff going on there right now. Commercial users are having to dump perfectly good trucks for newer emmisions.
Don't be under the impression that you'd be able to register no matter what.

jblairh
Explorer
Explorer
Your right I looked up the regulations diesels over 14,000 lbs don't require a smog.

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
YES, check to see if it will pass CALIFORNIA emissions, donโ€™t rely on sales person!!!! Otherwise youโ€™re gonna have a headache....

jblairh
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice