cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing foam mattress with air mattress on a hide a bed

wargle70
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 Montana Mountaineer that has a hide a bed with a paper thin foam mattress. The tag on the mattress says Flair Industries, so I assume the sofa bed is also made by Flair. The mattress frame measures 53'X72". I would like to replace the flat foam mattress with an air bed type mattress, but am wondering if; 1. I can find an air mattress that will fit and, 2. will it fold up correctly. The bed folds up with part up behind the back cushions and the rest under the seat cushions of the sofa. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

Ozarkan
Explorer
Explorer
We have use airdream mattress for past 4 years. Works great.
Warren & Judy
2007 Newmar Kountry Star DP 39'

Southwind98
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Airdream mattresses as sdianel suggested, we or should I say our guest seem to get a comfortable night sleep on it.

sdianel wrote:
Cons: You may have to replace the bladder every 2 years. We finally gave up and got a 4" memory foam mattress for ours.

Ours has the original bladder with no issues for the past six years.

https://www.airdream.net/
Will & Michelle
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38P
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1990 Jeep Wrangler

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.airdream.net/full-c-24.html?osCsid=0c8g587u0gcv4jcs7mvcgdifa1

Air Dream makes an air mattress. The full size should fit your sofa. It comes with an electric pump to inflate it. It also comes with springs so it will provide support to your sofa.

Pros: nice to sleep on
Cons: You may have to replace the bladder every 2 years. We finally gave up and got a 4" memory foam mattress for ours.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Two issues:
- As mentioned, it supports the seats when closed.
- When an inflatable mattress is folded up will metal parts chaffe and quickly put a hole in it (even if deflated before closing.

We've put an inflatable matress on top once opened and that works OK, though you are a bit high off the ground.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
The foam mattress may be necessary for proper support of the couch in seating position. Remove it and the couch might not have proper support
. Why not go to the closest sporting goods store and pick up a Coleman inflatable mattress. Put it under the the foamy one when in bed position. Should be real comfy that way.