cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing Wall Sections

jorge3000
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever had to replace a section of the paneling/wall in their camper? Last year we had some moisture cause the paneling to begin to bubble and had to cut out part of it. It's not a large section, but it needs to be replaced in order to look nice again. Where have you been able to order paneling that will match or what other creative ideas have you had?
8 REPLIES 8

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hammerboy wrote:
Just a FYI, most 1/4" plywood is like 3/16". Dan

Depends on what you buy and where. Much of it is offshore and based on metric. Getting US-made in inches can be difficult depending on the type and grade of plywood. I use a local plywood specialty shop and they stock both metric and non-metric thicknesses. The offshore stuff can be substandard quality too (no surprise).

I digress, but it can be a real PITA in Canada because we have hard-conversion and soft-conversion lumber and plywood and some things are sold in metric measure and some aren't. A 2x4 is still a 2x4 and not a 38x89 mm as per the building code but nobody in their right mind would ask for some 38x89 studs in a lumber yard.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
jorge3000 wrote:
Donn, I will have to look and measure again, but I do not think that 1/4 plywood will work. I believe that it would be to thick and cause a lip/seam where it meets the other panel. I figure I could use some trim to make them blend, but I am afraid the raise would still be noticeable.

It is located to the left of the door along the floor when you enter and raise up o be about knee height (maybe 2 ft). I was trying to think of something creative to do there if I was unable to match it.

I figure I could buy some regular paneling from the depot and paint it, but I was afraid it would not look as nice as it originally did.

Just a FYI, most 1/4" plywood is like 3/16".

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might try some RV dealers. They should have some luan for doing repairs. Or some dealers will bring in larger items inside an RV that is being delivered to them and you won't have to pay a huge shipping cost. Problem is matching the existing of course.

jorge3000
Explorer
Explorer
Dutchman, I love the chalkboard paint idea. I had been looking at the and trying to decide between that or maybe something to put there to mount shoes on for drying.

jorge3000
Explorer
Explorer
Donn, I will have to look and measure again, but I do not think that 1/4 plywood will work. I believe that it would be to thick and cause a lip/seam where it meets the other panel. I figure I could use some trim to make them blend, but I am afraid the raise would still be noticeable.

It is located to the left of the door along the floor when you enter and raise up o be about knee height (maybe 2 ft). I was trying to think of something creative to do there if I was unable to match it.

I figure I could buy some regular paneling from the depot and paint it, but I was afraid it would not look as nice as it originally did.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Even if you find new paneling, it won't match, simply because of age and exposure your existing paneling has. Colors might be close, but never match. (kind of like replacing shingles on the roof of your house, new ones never match the old ones, if they are from the same stock and have been stored away).

Best suggestion as donn0128 suggest. Replace with new and somehow incorporate that into the design of the RV so it looks like it belong, if that be paint or some other creative design.

If you have kids, you could replace and paint it was chaulk board paint. Now wouldn't the kids have fun with that! :B

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
You might try some used RV parts stores. We have one near us and they have just about everything for RV's. Matching the same color or pattern will be the hardest part. The store near us used to be in the repair business as well and they stocked everything to fix used RV's.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy some 1/4 oak plywood. Cut, fit,stain,install. Either that or luan plywood and paint the wall.