cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reserve America requires SS number?

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Just spent an hour on reserve america, where I've booked camp sites for several years. It was not a fake site as I could look around at campsites, etc. I went to book and it said I am required to put in an SS number as part of a Federal code to catch deadbeat parents for unpaid child support....THAT IS NOT ME!

Point is, I immediately closed the page. Is this normal? I would never give an SS number to reserve america. What gives?
106 REPLIES 106

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:

Why would anyone bother to check Motel booking records when practically everyone in the U.S.A. has put themselves on the 24/7 it-can-find-you "cellphone leash"?

Except me...:B

And you really think you can't be tracked because you don't have a cell phone? Do you have a credit card? Use ATMs? Have retailer loyalty cards?

Jarlaxle wrote:
Campfire Time wrote:
mleekamp cited the text of the law, but the link for it is here. So this is just a Kansas thing.

aruba5er wrote:
I don't think this is just a Kansas thing. If you want a hunting or fishing license in Wisconsin you must give your SS. They told me the same thing. So they can collect child support. I don't make reservations so i've never been asked. Heck, in dealing with the goverment ( and Reserve America probably ) has your information already. I know in Georgia and Florida give them your phone number and they will have everything on you already, probably even know about the mole on your left butt cheek.

WI does not require SS# to make camping reservations.

I really think this paranoia over stuff like is kind of funny. I'm not trying to be offensive to anyone, but it is naive to think that you have any level of privacy. Do you use a credit card? Then there is more information about you in the hands of private parties than you can possibly imagine. Do you have retail loyalty cards? Now you've given away more information. Target is just one company among many that does heavy marketing research, and here is what they are able to do with that information about us.

And of course you do use the Internet. Do you realize that even though you clear your browser's cache and run a fire wall, that everything you do on the net is cached on various servers and networking equipment? Its not done to track you, but to speed up your experience. but what could be done with that data?...

Privacy is a myth. We lost it long before the Internet came along. That doesn't mean I agree with collecting SS#s, but don't think that keeping your SS# a secret is keeping your personal info private. Not even close.

If a social security number isn't a big deal, then share yours! Everyone who wants to stay at a Kansas state park can just use that. See...problem solved, and thank you!

You read what you wanted to in my post and ignored what I said. Shame, shame, shame.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
path1 wrote:
So how much is the gov't spying on americans?
Good post here that covers a lot from years ago to present. Just posting for people that think Gov't is only spying on bad guys.

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2013/07/how-much-is-the-us-government-spying-on-americans/

Duck!

The sky is falling..:E

"They" can spy all they want..:R

Could care less if the gov't knows when I brush my teeth - or take a dump (black tank, of course). Whoopie.

BTW is the gov't spying on North, South, or Central "Americans" -
or did you mean citizens of the United States?..:h ~

"...Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out -- because I was not a Jew..." Truly, we are lost. 😞
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Apparently all of you folks advocating giving them a bogus SSN haven't read the entire thread... Way back on page one the OP posted this follow-up: "I did try bogus numbers...NO GO."
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
WoodGlue wrote:
I'll stay in Kansas campgrounds no problem. I'll give them my long deceased grandmothers SSN when I book. No problem at all!! Why boycott a perfectly lovely state full of nice campgrounds because you can't or refuse to be creative in your thought process.

WoodGlue

Kind of disturbed that you know your grandmas social security number and that you would use it deceive others.

Identity theft is a form of stealing someone's identity in which someone pretends to be someone else by assuming that person's identity, typically in order to access resources or obtain credit and other benefits in that person's name. The victim of identity theft (here meaning the person whose identity has been assumed by the identity thief) can suffer adverse consequences if they are held accountable for the perpetrator's actions. Identity theft occurs when someone uses another's personally identifying information, like their name, identifying number, or credit card number, without their permission, to commit fraud or other crimes.

With that said, why are you afraid to use your own?

What is so odd about knowing my deceased grandmothers SSN? I suppose than many on the forum know their now passed parents or grandparents SSN's. Now to the using it to deceive others. This has been a very heated discussion about putting in your valid SSN into a Kansas State Form to reserve a camp site, right? How would I be deceiving anyone by using a legitimate number to put into their system to reserve a camping spot?

I am not a deadbeat Dad, a deadbeat Mom nor any kind of lawbreaker whatsoever. No warrants out for my arrest, no INTERPOL actions, etc

If you feel like entering YOUR current, valid SSN into a camping reservation site, by all means do so. Have at it, with gusto!

I tend to take care of my SSN, by not handing it out willy nilly all over the internet - and I'll continue to take care with my SSN for as long as I live. If you feel comfortable with what you're doing, than fine, be my guest.

Different strokes for different folks.

If you want to USE YOUR OWN SSN ON A CAMPING RESERVATION WEBSITE - GOOD!

I'm not a sucker and haven't deceived a single soul!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
WoodGlue wrote:
I'll stay in Kansas campgrounds no problem. I'll give them my long deceased grandmothers SSN when I book. No problem at all!! Why boycott a perfectly lovely state full of nice campgrounds because you can't or refuse to be creative in your thought process.

WoodGlue

Kind of disturbed that you know your grandmas social security number and that you would use it deceive others.

Identity theft is a form of stealing someone's identity in which someone pretends to be someone else by assuming that person's identity, typically in order to access resources or obtain credit and other benefits in that person's name. The victim of identity theft (here meaning the person whose identity has been assumed by the identity thief) can suffer adverse consequences if they are held accountable for the perpetrator's actions. Identity theft occurs when someone uses another's personally identifying information, like their name, identifying number, or credit card number, without their permission, to commit fraud or other crimes.

With that said, why are you afraid to use your own?
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
Good post here that covers a lot from years ago to present. Just posting for people that think Gov't is only spying on bad guys.

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2013/07/how-much-is-the-us-government-spying-on-americans/

Duck!

The sky is falling..:E

"They" can spy all they want..:R

Could care less if the gov't knows when I brush my teeth - or take a dump (black tank, of course). Whoopie.

BTW is the gov't spying on North, South, or Central "Americans" -
or did you mean citizens of the United States?..:h

~

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
57 Panhead wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
Whatever you do don't use a fake number! You're probably committing a felony by doing so. Not to mention what happens if the fake number you enter happens to belong to somebody that owes a hundred grand in back child support? You may find yourself booked into jail and your RV seized to pay somebody else's back child support.

You worry to much.

Well in your case, feel free to commit a felony then. I'll just worry about others.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
hooligan wrote:
Now- Look at the upside.
If you are a deadbeat dad, you can't make a reservation to stay at a Kansas State park. You would have to be a "walk-in" and just take your chances.. Cruel and unusual at least...

Mom's can be deadbeats too.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
LarryJM wrote:
Highway 4x4 wrote:
Does it know what your SS # is or is it just looking for you to put in something? What if you accidentally put in a few wrong #'s ?

'
Yea anybody can accidently make a typo (like one key next to the correct one on the keyboard) when entering #s into a computer so I guess there could now be a huge increase in "honest mistakes" when entering your SSN ... HINT, HINT 😛 Where there is a will there is always a way and I doubt the courts would hold you liable for simply an "honest mistake" if it ever should come to that :B

Larry

I certainly wouldn't want to make a mistake and transpose the last two numbers of mine.
bumpy

Just hope when you transpose those numbers that the person that actually belongs to the SSN you accidently type in doesn't owe a hundred grand in child support!

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

kendive
Explorer
Explorer
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
Did you call and ask them directly? There is no way I would input my SS# on a site!

I would just make up one to give them... What are they gonna know.

and Yes I would never give them a SSN just to camp.

path1
Explorer
Explorer

2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
My Medicare Claim Number is my SSN followed by the letter "A". That "A" will fool identity thieves. Yeah, right. Boys and girls, the privacy ship sailed a long time ago. The vast majority of SSN collectors are only looking for a unique way to identify you, but that doesn't mean that your SSN isn't plastered all over the place. My SSN doesn't show up on my driver's license, but I bet the DMV number connects to my SSN somewhere in their records.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Found info on the CEO of LIFELOCKand his SSN:

Wikipedia wrote:
LifeLock's CEO Todd Davis publicly posted his Social Security number on billboards and in TV commercials as part of a campaign to promote the company's identity theft protection services. In 2007, it was reported that Todd Davis became the victim of fraud when someone used his published social security number to obtain a $500 loan. LifeLock apparently investigated the crime and found the alleged criminal. In an agreement with LifeLock, the alleged identity thief agreed on camera to perform community service to avoid prosecution. In total, Davis was a victim of identity theft 13 times during 2007 and 2008 as a result of the advertising campaign, with the total losses in the low thousands of dollars.

He shoulda used a dead persons SSN!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
mleekamp wrote:
The more i read, it looks like its a KANSAS thing? Full text below. I guess I can drive a few miles more into Missouri

Your Social Security Number is required to make this reservation according to Title 42 of the United States Code, Section 666 (a) (13), requirement of statutorily prescribed procedures to improve effectiveness of child support enforcement.

Due to the implementation of the new Kansas Outdoor Automated Licensing System, the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism is now required to comply with certain laws relating to the collection of social security numbers.

Title 42 of the United States Code, Section 666 (a) (13), requirement of statutorily prescribed procedures to improve effectiveness of child support enforcement, requires that social security numbers be collected of any applicant for a recreational license, which includes licenses, permits, stamps, tags or other issues of the KDWP.

In addition, Kansas Statute Annotated 74-139, licensure, certification or registration by state authority; applicants requested to provide social security number, requires the applicant for original licensure or renewal to provide their social security number.

The KOALS system requires your social security number to be entered only one time. Once entered into the system, the applicant will save the information for use in all future transactions. The applicant's social security number is not printed on the confirmation nor is it displayed on the screen when a new reservation is made. The social security number is held in a secure database and will only be available, upon request, to the Department of Social Rehabilitation Services for the purpose of child support enforcement or to the Department of Revenue, Director of Taxation, for compliance with K.S.A. 74-139.

Ahhhh let's see -
your SS number is on your Medicare card you hand to the receptionist at a Dr. office or lab..:S

Try to get "regular" cell phone service w/o furnishing your SS#..:S

Bottom line if you're worried, (skip "Lifelock") - put a credit freeze on your credit rating with the 3 credit agencies..:)
Nobody (-including *YOU*-) will be approved for credit without releasing the freeze..:)
Only you know the PW to do that..:W

Works for me..:C

~

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
IndyCamp wrote:

Uh, no.

Your local hotel/motel has no interest in "tracking" you. Does everyone realize that there are over 350,000,000 Americans? Do you really think that YOU are so important that the Super 8 is eager to track your movements and/or turn that information over to the government?

The local motel doesn't give one whit. However, the behavioral tracking companies that the info gets sold to do care. These people are an additional income source for most businesses.