cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Resurrecting an issue

CALNNC
Explorer
Explorer
I was just searching for info on the use of a particular CB channel for RV'ers, while moving or setup. Some of the posts that come up are 18 years old. Is anybody using CB or GMRS service to keep in contact and are there any dedicated channels for this?
38 REPLIES 38

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Didn't know this forum was 18 years old.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm stuck in the 60's.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
CBs still have their place among professional truckers. CBs are not yet relics of the past. In many cases, cell phones are useless if you don't have the phone numbers to alert strangers or to receive alerts about road conditions and other pertinent information from fellow travelers on the road.

The corporation I retired from still uses CB communications to direct truckers to the plant and the correct shipping/receiving docks.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought the new 2013 Ram in Jan '14, I took the CB from the Dakota I traded in. Since I couldn't find a suitable place, I was willing to drill mount holes, it was put on the shelf next to the radio that came out of my tractor-trailer when I quit driving those.

Sometimes I miss it. I liked being "in contact" with others when travelling. Most days I do NOT miss it.

Truth be told, many "new school" truckers don't even use them. Some that do have no manners. It is not the same as it was 10-20-30 years ago. Truckers once helped one another. The radio was a good place for gathering info about traffic, delays, getting directions, and them BEARS out there.

NOW.....more chatter, noise, and garbage then it is worth.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We use the GMRS in some areas as there is times no cell service. Great for traveling with small people!
I have my CB in the rig, compartment and have connected up while traveling with other rigs. Cell telephones don't always have service (limited) in some of our back roads travel

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I still use a calculator, dial phone and a bit and brace, but I too have no clue where my CB radio is.

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
When CB radios became the fad of the year, I looked into getting one. I was surprised to find that the "Citizen" part of the name was a legal requirement. Since I'm a resident alien ex-pat Brit, I couldn't legally have one.

I don't know if some other odd rules still apply. As an alien, I couldn't own an airplane but I could use the two-way radio when flying as a passenger. I could own a boat but wasn't allowed to use its two way radio.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Most RV'ers have gone to using cellphones to stay in touch while traveling together.

For communications while parking, setup and keep track of the kids many use FRS handhelds.

With most navigation systems and cellphone mapping apps you can get road information for primary and secondary roads.... accident, road hazards, construction, detours..etc.

CB radios are quickly becoming like slide-rules, calculators, dial telephones, hand drills used for decorations

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would guess that there are some, but very few still using CB's
I know personally, I have 2 radios, but I have no idea where they are, as I haven't used them in years.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund