cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

rooftops? so to speak

mythree
Explorer
Explorer
Starcraft said use dap caulk no silicone, local rv dealer says to use 100% silicone. I say dadgum, which one its for the roof seams. It appears to be metal roof? 2008 starcraft 2106. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
1 newborn ds
2 dd
1ds
1 beautiful dw
17 REPLIES 17

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Carb Cleaner wrote:
How about coverage from a tube of Dicor? Is there a guestimate for linear feet? I have an aluminum, 6x12 cargo trailer that I'm going to strip off the old and re-apply. Will 6 tubes get it? There are 6 seams for the width and 2 for the length, some fastener heads at the front and back, plus the roof vent (which will be replaced and a Max-Air vent over that).
For some reason, Bright White Dicor is 2 bucks a tube cheaper than regular White Dicor.
Bird's-eye view, half way through getting the top layer of dirt off:
I have a similar roof on my Starcraft, a standing seam roof. This is what it looked like when I started:

That is roofing patch, a gallon of it.

I peeled and cleaned the tar off and then laid Eternabond roof seal on the seams:

Sprayed on two coats of elastomeric roof paint:
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Hans. I'd rather have too much than run out in the middle of the project. Sounds like I'll be good with 6 tubes.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

HJGyswyt
Explorer
Explorer
Carb Cleaner wrote:
How about coverage from a tube of Dicor? Is there a guestimate for linear feet? I have an aluminum, 6x12 cargo trailer that I'm going to strip off the old and re-apply. Will 6 tubes get it? There are 6 seams for the width and 2 for the length, some fastener heads at the front and back, plus the roof vent (which will be replaced and a Max-Air vent .

I'm thinking four might do the job for you. It goes further than you think. I like to put my tubes next to our wood stove or space heater and get the tubes nice and warm before I load them in the caulking gun. An extra tube in the garage can come in handy for other applications, but I had a tube I hadn't used and it was bad after a couple years. Good luck with your cargo trailer. Hans
2003 GMC 2500HD CC Longbox SW/2002 Wilcat Bunkhouse 30'
/1987 Western Wildderness 11' Alpine Truck Camper/1971 MacGregor Venture Sailboat

Rig Pictures, click on this link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
My opinion...you local dealer is an idiot. Never use silicone as a sealant on the exterior.

Use Proflex or Dicor.

totally agree, the dealer should stop selling RV's with such stupid advice.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
How about coverage from a tube of Dicor? Is there a guestimate for linear feet? I have an aluminum, 6x12 cargo trailer that I'm going to strip off the old and re-apply. Will 6 tubes get it? There are 6 seams for the width and 2 for the length, some fastener heads at the front and back, plus the roof vent (which will be replaced and a Max-Air vent over that).
For some reason, Bright White Dicor is 2 bucks a tube cheaper than regular White Dicor.
Bird's-eye view, half way through getting the top layer of dirt off:
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

mythree
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys yall rock. Saved from a horrible mistake.
1 newborn ds
2 dd
1ds
1 beautiful dw

HJGyswyt
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, no silicone. I repair and rebuild older RV's and just makes me cry when I come across RV's where people use what they have on the shelf in the garage instead of getting the right product for the job.

Dicor Self Leveling Roof Sealant

Sikaflex Sealant (vertical surfaces)

Above is the roof of a 1952 Angelus Trailer I'm restoring. It had a tree fall on the roof and you can clearly see the patch I fabricated to repair the section of roof. I used Dicor self leveling sealant on all the seams and around all the vents as well as the drip rail along the edge. Then when I was done with that for aesthetic reasons only, I rolled on three coats of white roof coating. It looks very professional now.

I'm also fixing up a wonderful older truck camper, and I have replaced most of the roof vents as well as the pipe vents. As you can see I used the Dicor self leveling sealant again. Just pump it on, don't flatten it out with your finger. It's called self leveling for a reason.

Got the 26 year old roof looking like new with new vents and sealant.

On the vertical surfaces I use Sikaflex 221 sealant. It's super strong, doesn't attract dirt, and looks sharp. It's also sold at most RV Stores.

Good Luck with your project. Hans
2003 GMC 2500HD CC Longbox SW/2002 Wilcat Bunkhouse 30'
/1987 Western Wildderness 11' Alpine Truck Camper/1971 MacGregor Venture Sailboat

Rig Pictures, click on this link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Carb Cleaner wrote:
So. What's the difference between Dicor and ProFlex?
I have an aluminum trailer roof to do, too.

Dicor Lap Sealant is self leveling....great for roofs

ProFlex is great for vertical/sidewalls/trim etc.

Dicor makes a NON self leveling for that use also

I like the ProFlex as it goes on smooth, seems more flexible and stays white.
And use the Dicor self leveling on my roof.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
So. What's the difference between Dicor and ProFlex?
I have an aluminum trailer roof to do, too.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
mythree wrote:
Dicor shows a lap sealant? Is that it? I really appreciate the help

YEP......
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

mythree
Explorer
Explorer
Dicor shows a lap sealant? Is that it? I really appreciate the help
1 newborn ds
2 dd
1ds
1 beautiful dw

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I had a TT with a solid alum sheet roof for 18 yrs. For resealing I scraped off the old caulk and wiped it down with acetone then applied self leveling Dicor. 18 yrs and no leaks. I used 2 pieces of 3' square 1/4" thick pressed board to move around on and spread out my weight. Loved the solid roof.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
My opinion...you local dealer is an idiot. Never use silicone as a sealant on the exterior.

Use Proflex or Dicor.

or follow Old-Biscuit above who beat me to it...

X2. Dicor is the most commonly found.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"