cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rubber Roof Cleaner and Protectant

pmlevine
Explorer
Explorer
After it stops raining here in the NE, I will be cleaning the rubber roof on my TT. I've done some research and believe the best option is to use a medium bristle brush and clean with a solution of Murphy's Oil Soap. Then when dry, apply Airspace 303 Protectant.
As always, I will appreciate what other more experienced RV's do to clean and protect their rubber roof.
21 REPLIES 21

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
TxGearhead wrote:
Wet and Forget

Same here, IMO scrubbing and rubbing only shortens it's eventual life.
The only time I would do anything is if and when grass and weeds started growing from the dirt build up:W

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

pmlevine
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a photo of the rubber roof on my TT, discolored from weathering. It at least warrants cleaning - just hosing down is not an option. I'm still not sure if/what UV product to use afterwards.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I was given CamCo roof cleaner available at Walmart. It sat on the shelf for a long time, but then I went to clean the roof and didn't have my usual Spic & Span so I used it. Was not enthused while cleaning, but the rinse water was brownish. But when it dried, boy what a difference - very white and bright. Here is a picture I used for selling it taken after cleaning it and laying down caulk. I use a soft brush on a threaded pole.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I use Aerospace 303 Protectant on everything except the roof.

And, with all the rain, I don't think it will be necessary to clean the roof IF it ever stops raining. My roof looks pretty good.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Talked to Dicor (who makes most of the rubber roofs) at a Good Sam rally a few years ago. They recommended using their cleaner and protectant saying that the more expensive treatments are not needed.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thatโ€™s not what Winnebago recommends. โ€œThis rubber roof material does not require coatings to protect the surface from ultraviolet light or ozone.โ€œ

I didnโ€™t use STP back in the day either.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Wet and Forget
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive