cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone ever use one of these

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife showed me a video of filling 1lb propane tanks using an adapter like this.

Propane Adapter

Anyone use one of these? Does it work as advertised?

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS
26 REPLIES 26

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was going to post about a recent purchase that I am in love with when I found this post. I have been refilling the disposable bottles for several years, and have had good luck doing it. I use a setup similar to the one posted above that my former rv tech (retired) made for me to refill the little bottles.

On a whim at the local Runnings store, I bought one of these from Flame King.

It is so simple, I bought another one, so I can always have a full bottle. They sell a kit, but I just use what I had, and don't multitask while refilling the little bottle.

It is 41 degrees outside right now, so the Little Buddy is keeping us toasty warm. I do use the hose for the grill, but will not use the hose indoors.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
bartlettj wrote:
Note that it is illegal to transport refilled 1lb bottles on most US and Canadian ferries.

Where do you dream this information up at?

From bcferries.com website

Propane Tanks

Propane valves must be closed and sealed with the tags issued at the ticket booth, and the cylinders must be upright and firmly secured, to prevent tipping.

Service repair vehicles may carry one 25kg cylinder.
RVs are permitted a maximum of two cylinders of not more than 25 kg each (50L water capacity each), provided they are connected to a regulator, and secured in or on the vehicle. Recreational vehicles may carry a third cylinder no larger than 15 kg (30L water capacity) for BBQ needs.
Passenger vehicles are permitted to carry one cylinder Bar-B-Q size (commonly called a 20 pound cylinder).
SAFETY ALERT: "The brass valve in a propane cylinder will be damaged if it comes in contact with anhydrous ammonia. This deterioration will lead to cracking of the valve body or its components and can ultimately result in a violent, unexpected expulsion of the valve from the cylinder, causing personal injury or death." See full Safety Alert for more details.

Where,oh were, does it say ANYTHING about 1lb containers, much less refilled 1lb containers.

Mike

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dupe

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
That is interesting. I bought one of those and some tanks on a friends garage sale (he was moving out of state) he said to put the 1 lb bottles in the freezer. I have been hesitant to try and use it but this post and the videos make me think it would be OK to try it.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I do this process on the tailgate of the truck in my own driveway. The empty little cylinders chill in the garage freezer. I remove them one at a time to fill, using leather work gloves to avoid freeze burns. I do much like the guy in the video except I don't bother weighing them or purging them. I get about 2/3 - 3/4 full in about a minute, and that's good enough for me. Some of my cylinders are pushing a decade old. I've thrown out two in the last couple years.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
How does "The Man" know that the bottle has been refilled?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
Note that it is illegal to transport refilled 1lb bottles on most US and Canadian ferries.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with Bobbo on this. I have a Weber Q and use the 5 pound tank and adapter hose. It works great. Takes up very little room and lasts us most of the summer. The best part is when my 20 pound tank attached to my big Weber at home runs out of propane in the middle of cooking, I grab the 5 pound tank and finish up.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Adam_H
Explorer
Explorer
I use forceps to open the relief valve. Set the relief valve at 11:00 with the 20lb bottle upside down, slowly start filling the 1lb tank holding the relief valve open until liquid sprays out. Gloves help....

Adam
2007 Fleetwood Avalon HW PUP
2001 Excursion 6.8L V10 3.73
2005 F150 5.4L
Gone but not Forgotten: 1971 Trailstar PUP, 2002 Fleetwood Wilderness Northwest Edition, 2002 Keystone Bobcat 280-EB

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
I have one of those gizmos. The idea is simple enough. It does help to have the big tank warm, like sitting in the sun for a while, and the tiny tank ice cold.

I could not get the vent open on my little 1 pounders which is an important step, need to let the air out so the liquid can flow in. Maybe 50% or less transfer without opening the vent.

Use a non-medical grade hemostat. Cheap at Harbor Freight.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Air????

How did air get in a used 1 lb propane bottle?

When its empty and connected to an appliance with the valve open?

It might not be "air", it might be propane "vapor". The bottom line is you want to put as much LIQUID propane into your cylinder as is reasonable.

Segue - connecting a hose between and empty and a full 20 lb tank will result in two tanks half full. They will "equalize". The simple solution is to use a hose that is long enough that full bottle can be placed in the sunshine and other in the shade or better yet in a container of cold water. 10-20F will cause enough difference in pressure that, over 30-60 (?) minutes the empty one will be mostly full.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Air????

When its empty and connected to an appliance with the valve open?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Air????

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
or add one of these poles: https://www.stansport.com/distribution-post-3-outlet-30-inch-192
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold