cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Fuel Issues & Prices - Post 'Em Here!

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
All other fuel threads will be automatically deleted. ๐Ÿ™‚
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B
4,897 REPLIES 4,897

LindsayRichards
Explorer
Explorer
All crude oil is not the same. The Balkin oil is light The Canadian tar sands is very viscous as it has been sitting around near or at the surface for 400 million years. We have to ship light fractions from the US to make it less viscous so they can ship it. Very hard to keep track of it all. We are the world's largest producer of products made with oil. (Like plastics and much of what we use daily). We export and import many other products. (cheese, beer, almonds, drugs, LNG because of lack of pipelines in the NE states ETC). The failed Build Back Better Bill had an increase from $7500 to $12,500 for the EV subsidy. EV's have been right around the corner for the last 25 years.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
I still want to know, in layman's terms, why the heck we EXPORT so much oil, and why the heck we IMPORT so much oil???

Here are the 10 countries with the highest oil production:

United States (12,108)
Russia (10,835)
Saudi Arabia (9,580
Iraq (4,620)
Canada (4,129)
China (3,823)
United Arab Emirates (3,068)
Kuwait (2,652)

We import a lot of finished petroleum products because, word on the street is, our domestic refining capacity can't meet our demand for distillate products. Pick a day of the week, "they" offer a different reason why oil/distillates are so pricey.

Check calendars. Spring is upon us, time to trot out the refineries down for maintenance, gotta switch to summer formulation, the sun rose in the east today, blah, blah, blah......

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
tomman58 wrote:
We can now have our lawmakers amke an even larger credit to go to electric. Heck we are going there relatively soon anyways and now we have even more reasons.

If it'a all so good why should we all subsidize it?
I agree. Let existing program expire on schedule.
No new subsidy until there is a federal surplus ๐Ÿ˜‰

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
tomman58 wrote:
We can now have our lawmakers amke an even larger credit to go to electric. Heck we are going there relatively soon anyways and now we have even more reasons.

If it'a all so good why should we all subsidize it?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
tomman58 wrote:

The problem is production. At this point people are discouraged by the 8 to 12 month waits for the most popular models. It will get better as more factories come on line but some of those are 2 to 3 years away. World wide sky high gas prices are just going to fuel the shift to electric but you canโ€™t switch if there is nothing to switch to that suits your needs or budget. Oil companies are going to make a killing in the next 5 to 7 years. After that it might start to swing the other way. Some countries with high EV uptake are already seeing gas stations closing down or switching to an EV format.

Its going to be an interesting decade.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I still want to know, in layman's terms, why the heck we EXPORT so much oil, and why the heck we IMPORT so much oil???

Here are the 10 countries with the highest oil production:

United States (12,108)
Russia (10,835)
Saudi Arabia (9,580)
Iraq (4,620)
Canada (4,129)
China (3,823)
United Arab Emirates (3,068)
Kuwait (2,652)
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

LindsayRichards
Explorer
Explorer
The Hindenburg was hydrogen. (Oh, the Humanity.) Lots of history on the safety of LNG from Europe. Very Good. With LNG, it is hard to get rid of the excess coldness when it converts back to CNG. The long-haul trucks use this to cool the engines in place of radiators. I don't see LNG taking off in the US as we have such an extensive network of CNG pipelines. Many years ago, I would sail in Tampa Bay and see Russian LNG ships bringing it into Hooker Point. They used LNG for fuel.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
LNG is the next big thing for ship fuel. Obviously cleaner burning than heavy oil or #2 fuel oil. The Carnival Mardi Gras cruise ship is the first LNG fueled ship to operate from the US. Mardi Gras home ports at Port Canaveral, no LNG facilities there, a barge from a facility in Georgia must come to fuel it. LNG is not as energy dense as hydrocarbon fuels, quite a bit of energy is required to keep LNG in a liquid state, and.....why do I get an image of the Hindenburg in my mind if a significant leak happens? I'm sure there are very sophisticated safety systems on the ship, but the human factor......

LindsayRichards
Explorer
Explorer
CNG is very safe. It is lighter than air and vents upwards into the air if the tank is ruptured. Used all over the nation. Works very well with equipment that works only part of the day like trash haulers, buses and personal vehicles. IC cars can be converted. Home compressors are still pretty expensive is the only reason I haven't converted my car. LNG is widely used by European long-haul truckers. The price has skyrocketed in the last year due to political reasons and the NE doesn't have anywhere the pipeline capacity to even heat homes.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
LindsayRichards wrote:
I would love to see us switch to CNG for transportation fuel. It is much cheaper and safer than electricity. Over 70% of the new garbage haulers are now CNG.

Why do you believe it is safer than electricity?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

LindsayRichards
Explorer
Explorer
In the Jimmy Carter era, we were told we had 11 years of oil remaining. The technology has changed drastically with the introduction of fracking and horizontal drilling. We are estimated to have over a century of oil and gas now. In my estimation, a yet unknown source of energy will be discovered and most of that will remain in the ground. Politics is now drastically limiting our production of oil and gas. In the last year, we have gone from a net exporter of oil and gas to a net importer of both. The folks we are buying from now love to shout, "Death to America". I would love to see us switch to CNG for transportation fuel. It is much cheaper and safer than electricity. Over 70% of the new garbage haulers are now CNG.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
1.54 per litre Gas
1.64 per litre diesel.

Hydro apx 12 cents per kWh after tax etc.

All funds Canadian dollars.

This is in the Okanagan valley of B.C.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
propchef wrote:

The discussion is now about energy, not continuing the draining of a finite resource.

how many years is this finite resource estimated to be available?

bumpy

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
LouLawrence wrote:

We pump oil that is the wrong type to be processed by our US refiners so we mostly export that oil and then import the oil our refiners are setup for. We been doing this for years and never have had enough sense to spend the money to change this scenario. We never do learn until it's way too late.

It's because the newer technologies made it financially viable to extract oil (tar) when it wasn't previously feasible. We had by that time already set up our refineries.

The discussion is now about energy, not continuing the draining of a finite resource.