cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Insurance

Davern
Explorer
Explorer
We are Winter Texans from Minnesota. We bought a new TT while in Texas this past spring and registered and licensed it with the state of Minnesota. We insured the TT as a rider to our vehicle Insurance. We left the TT in an enclosed storage area in Aransas Pass, TX. and then returned to Minnesota. When Hurricane Harvey approached the Texas Coast I contacted my Insurance Company to make sure I was adequately covered. They told me that they werenโ€™t sure Iโ€™d be covered because we left it in Texas, and it was licensed in Minnesota plus we lived most of the year in Minnesota. I can somewhat understand their argument. What I want to know is, are there Insurance Companies that will cover situations like this? We did incur minor damage from Harvey and our Insurance did cover it. I just donโ€™t want to go thru this again.
8 REPLIES 8

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
I am guessing you are not covered. You need a policy that covers the trailer in the zip code where the trailer spends most of its time, in this case Texas. Foremost Insurance is a company that will provide that type of coverage. You are currently paying for risk in MN, not hurricane prone TX. You will need a separate TX policy for your trailer.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Progressive. Good service on our only claim a few years ago
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

greyeyes819
Explorer
Explorer
NanciL wrote:
We bought a new 38 foot travel trailer the year before last and wanted to get it completely insured for what it cost plus contents.
The company that we have our two vehicles and our home owners policy wouldn't take it, and then we talked with State farm and all those other ones that say they will insure for anything, and none of them would take it.
We talked with Progressive and they insured it for everything we wanted for $500 per year.
We just had it totaled in the salt water hurricane surge from Irma.
One week after the hurricane a Progressive claims agent did confirm it was totaled and said we would be receiving a check. Three days later we were told that a check would be waiting for us at an insurance office two miles from where we were.
After that they told us to fill out a form for the personal stuff inside which we did and two weeks later we received a check in the mail for that.
Need I say more ???
We have a new replacement trailer on order and needless to say Progressive will be our insurer.

Jack L

We have Progressive and have had to use them only once to replace our awning. LOVED the service.
Tami, Daniel
Owen & Ethan
09 F150
07 Sunset Trail 30BH
Reese Dual Cam & Prodigy Brake Control

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
You probably spoke to a salesperson, not a claims adjuster. You should be covered, initiate a claim and get an adjuster assigned.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
We bought a new 38 foot travel trailer the year before last and wanted to get it completely insured for what it cost plus contents.
The company that we have our two vehicles and our home owners policy wouldn't take it, and then we talked with State farm and all those other ones that say they will insure for anything, and none of them would take it.
We talked with Progressive and they insured it for everything we wanted for $500 per year.
We just had it totaled in the salt water hurricane surge from Irma.
One week after the hurricane a Progressive claims agent did confirm it was totaled and said we would be receiving a check. Three days later we were told that a check would be waiting for us at an insurance office two miles from where we were.
After that they told us to fill out a form for the personal stuff inside which we did and two weeks later we received a check in the mail for that.
Need I say more ???
We have a new replacement trailer on order and needless to say Progressive will be our insurer.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think you would get better information by perusing the "Snowbirds" subforum under "Locations".

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œare there Insurance Companies that will cover situations like this?โ€œ

Absolutely! You pay a sufficient premium and I will insure that Friday will never come. Level with the insurance company when you renew.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
They "weren't sure" if you were covered? Now that is the last answer I want to hear when I ask about coverage under a policy I purchased.
You may need a new insurance agent.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP