cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rv was totalled by insurance company

Budman1962
Explorer
Explorer
Has any of you had the insurance company total your rv? Mine got hale on two sides but isn't bad. They totaled it and gave me a check for a lot less than it was worth. They let me buy it back for a minimal fee. The problem now is they won't insure it anymore. I called a couple of places and they turned me down as well. Will I be able to insure it anywhere? I know They won't cover the siding but I want insurance for fire and theft.
2000 F250 V10
2006 Aljo 25ft.
1998 Yamaha GP1200
2000 Polaris Genesis
1994 Kawasaki St750
2006 Polaris X2
1986 Honda Magna
41 REPLIES 41

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
mbrower wrote:
And one more thing, I know of no requirement to carry insurance on a travel trailer and depending on the RV value, I would not insure it at all. Could possibly pay out more in premiums than the RV is worth.

Here in Texas, anything that has a license plate and moves on a public road is required to show proof of insurance when we renew our tags every year.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I think to insure it, at least the way I understand it in the auto industry, is that you will need to get a rebuilt title, not salvage, before anyone would insure it. Repair whats easy and then get it inspected by an RV repair place to show its completely safe and 100% operational then take that infor to DMV and see if you can request a rebuilt title.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Some states have processes (published online) where you can restore a salvaged title. I use a 4 letter word for "restore", though the ethics of it is another topic. The process is quite detailed. A lot of meticulous documentation (recording keeping) is required for the application.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
And one more thing, I know of no requirement to carry insurance on a travel trailer and depending on the RV value, I would not insure it at all. Could possibly pay out more in premiums than the RV is worth.
2001 Chevy 3500 Big Dooley 8.1L (496 Cubes)Allison 5sp 4:10
2008 KZ Montego Bay 37RLB-4

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
I have dealt with insurance companies quite a lot and state farm is one of the harder one to deal with. Every insurance company will low ball you, its what they do but they should be able to provide you information of how they came to that value. you need to know what your RV is truly worth. Take your opinion out of it and provide the adjuster with documents that prove your RV's value. Ads have no value as proof so don't use them. NADA is your best bet but don't expect anything over retail, no matter condition or what has been added or improved on. I have always been able to get retail value with persistence without going through lawyers. Anything over retail favors the insurance company during litigation and retail and under favors the consumer
2001 Chevy 3500 Big Dooley 8.1L (496 Cubes)Allison 5sp 4:10
2008 KZ Montego Bay 37RLB-4

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
An Agreed Value policy requires an appraisal, auction receipt or similar evidence of value before they write a policy. They will only write a policy up to the value of the item, not just any figure you pull out of your head. Otherwise, you could take out a $50,000 policy on your Pinto and then have Tommy the Torch do his thing.
A vehicle with a salvage title is pretty much worthless, unless it is the imfamous silver Porsche 550 that James Dean was driving when he crashed and died. That car, salvage title or not, would be valuable. A run of the mill RV, not so much.

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
When we got our trailer, we got an agreed value policy from Progressive, it doesn't seem terribly expensive.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

Budman1962
Explorer
Explorer
I was hoping for enough money to repair the front and replace the window that got broke. They did give me enough for that. I'm not going to replace siding if I can't ever insure it again. I'll check some of the online insurance company's .
2000 F250 V10
2006 Aljo 25ft.
1998 Yamaha GP1200
2000 Polaris Genesis
1994 Kawasaki St750
2006 Polaris X2
1986 Honda Magna

leeper
Explorer
Explorer
Since it was not very noticeable, why did you file a claim? Where you looking to get payed and then not fix it?

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:
winnietrey wrote:
Best thing to do, if you feel you are being lowballed on a car, RV, bike claim and so on, is not so much an attorney (at first at least). Best thing to do is document what yours is worth. By going to dealers (getting letters from them), finding ads, for comparable
rigs. Bring that to them, that usually will raise the dollars. Lawyer is going to ask you to do the same. You have to document why yours is worth more than the insurance company blue book

OR GET an AGREED VALUE policy from the get go. Where you and the insurance company agree on a value before you get the policy. Of course you will pay more than for a policy that just goes by book value and that is why most people do not get that type policy because we all shop price.

Very good idea, I agree that is best. But is that not, more for collector, classic type rigs? Don't think, they will do it on run of the mill type stuff? Could be wrong

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
winnietrey wrote:
Best thing to do, if you feel you are being lowballed on a car, RV, bike claim and so on, is not so much an attorney (at first at least). Best thing to do is document what yours is worth. By going to dealers (getting letters from them), finding ads, for comparable
rigs. Bring that to them, that usually will raise the dollars. Lawyer is going to ask you to do the same. You have to document why yours is worth more than the insurance company blue book

OR GET an AGREED VALUE policy from the get go. Where you and the insurance company agree on a value before you get the policy. Of course you will pay more than for a policy that just goes by book value and that is why most people do not get that type policy because we all shop price.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
They let me buy it back for a minimal fee.
Then going forward, that "minimal fee" is all it is worth in the eyes of any insurance company. Totaled is totaled in the insurance industry.

Budman1962
Explorer
Explorer
It was state farm. They screwed me on a motorcycle claim also. I had a mint condition 86 Honda magna that was totaled. I was offered 5k for it about a month earlier and they gave me book value. 1000.00 Should have got a lawyer on that one.
2000 F250 V10
2006 Aljo 25ft.
1998 Yamaha GP1200
2000 Polaris Genesis
1994 Kawasaki St750
2006 Polaris X2
1986 Honda Magna