cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rv was totalled by insurance company

Budman1962
Explorer
Explorer
Has any of you had the insurance company total your rv? Mine got hale on two sides but isn't bad. They totaled it and gave me a check for a lot less than it was worth. They let me buy it back for a minimal fee. The problem now is they won't insure it anymore. I called a couple of places and they turned me down as well. Will I be able to insure it anywhere? I know They won't cover the siding but I want insurance for fire and theft.
2000 F250 V10
2006 Aljo 25ft.
1998 Yamaha GP1200
2000 Polaris Genesis
1994 Kawasaki St750
2006 Polaris X2
1986 Honda Magna
41 REPLIES 41

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
patperry2766 wrote:
mbrower wrote:
And one more thing, I know of no requirement to carry insurance on a travel trailer and depending on the RV value, I would not insure it at all. Could possibly pay out more in premiums than the RV is worth.

Here in Texas, anything that has a license plate and moves on a public road is required to show proof of insurance when we renew our tags every year.

I don't think so. I've never been asked for proof of insurance on 2 boats, utility trailer, or the 5th wheel.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

travelnman
Explorer
Explorer
My insurance company covered it but I learned a lesson. Aluminum dents. Fiberglass bulges and fades. The RV industry needs a new material that will not fade or bulge do to heat or dent easily. If my RV gets hit again they will total it and I will be camperless. I put off a new tow vehicle because of hail damage as it will happen again I'm sure. Its a chance you take but it shouldn't be. It seems the weather is getting strange in many parts of the country and hail is more common. These vehicles are very expensive these days not sure what
the answer is.

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Totaled is totaled. Get liability only insurance on it and carry on.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
AS to agreed value, I have agreed value on my boat, my motorhome, and all 3 of my antique cars, I have never had to have them inspected or valued by the insurance company. I live in Iowa, it may be different in other states, although my old cars are insured by an out of state company. I do value them at a realistic price, probably less than they are really worth, the cost is to insure them is very reasonable.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bucky Badger wrote:
FunnyCamper wrote:
wow you got nailed. You should never accepted their low totalled offer.

Just hail damage is not a total. (from what you described) You might want to get a lawyer and see what your recourse is at this point. But since you accepted, it is never as easy if you started to fight from the beginning.

best of luck to you!

Not true. If your camper is valued at 10,000 and it's going to cost 11,000 to fix it it's totalled

I hear ya but from what the OP said I can't see what he described as a total but we don't know true extent of damage estimate of course.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have the damage repaired and have it reinspected by whomever your state tells you to have it inspected with, you can get a regular title again. Just because it barely shows doesn't mean the cost to repair it is any less. Most likely all panels damaged would have to be replaced and the cost to do so was more than the value - therefore , a total.

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
FunnyCamper wrote:

Just hail damage is not a total. (from what you described) You might want to get a lawyer and see what your recourse is at this point. But since you accepted, it is never as easy if you started to fight from the beginning.

best of luck to you!

Not true. If your camper is valued at 10,000 and it's going to cost 11,000 to fix it it's totalled
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
Our 07 was hail damaged in 09..insurance co treated us well. We paid 13,000 we got 11,000 for it, bought it back for 2,500. Then we put about 100.00 into it to fix vent covers and mouldings. They didn't "total" it so it doesn't have a salvage title. They won't re-insure it, but that's fine with us
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Budman1962 wrote:
Thanks for all the info. The liability is covered by the tow vehicle in Montana. And that's all thats required. I'll have to see if Montana has rebuilt titles. Lesson learned for next time.

But it sounds like you bought it back for next to nothing. The insurance company isn't going to pay you out book value and then give you the rv back for free. Not how it works. Presume you expressed interest in buying it back and they got off cheap and you got a perfectly serviceable rv that needed minor repairs.
Unless I'm missing something.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Budman1962
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info. The liability is covered by the tow vehicle in Montana. And that's all thats required. I'll have to see if Montana has rebuilt titles. Lesson learned for next time.
2000 F250 V10
2006 Aljo 25ft.
1998 Yamaha GP1200
2000 Polaris Genesis
1994 Kawasaki St750
2006 Polaris X2
1986 Honda Magna

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was hit in my car. Ins. wanted to total. Dad said NO WAY and we fought back and forth. What they offered wouldn't get me another good car, and what it cost to fix was kinda high but in the end we won. We held onto the fact that it was cosmetic work, not a true total in my Dad's eyes....so the ins. company ponied up and my car was made whole again.

best of luck to you!

2Bargos
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a salvage title or rebuilt. If it is salvage then all title can be
used for is to show ownership.a salvage title cannot be tagged or insured because it is considered just that,,, salvage.
You will have to get title changed to a "rebuilt" status .my current bounder has a rebuilt title and I have it insured and tagged.

Its an aggravating process but it can be done.
2006 F-250
2008 Cherokee 28A+
2003 Harley Ultra
A wife that enjoys my hobbies as much as I do.
A Day Hemmed in prayer seldom comes unraveled

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:
mbrower wrote:
And one more thing, I know of no requirement to carry insurance on a travel trailer and depending on the RV value, I would not insure it at all. Could possibly pay out more in premiums than the RV is worth.

Here in Texas, anything that has a license plate and moves on a public road is required to show proof of insurance when we renew our tags every year.

In NC, trailer liability is covered by tow vehicle. Insurance is only required by lender if financed, not DOT. According to Texas department of insurance, trailers and semi trailer are exempt. Your mileage may vary.
Mark
2001 Chevy 3500 Big Dooley 8.1L (496 Cubes)Allison 5sp 4:10
2008 KZ Montego Bay 37RLB-4

TexasRangerRzR
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:
mbrower wrote:

In PA, only liability insurance is required and for a trailer that is covered by the TV.