cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Securing Superglide hitch head?

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
A friend has a new superglide slider hitch for his 5er and would like to know if there is a way to secure the hitch head so it does not slide back and forth and make banging noises when not in use. Saw no mention of this in the instructions.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"
7 REPLIES 7

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
nazpaz wrote:
I haven't needed he bungee cord trick but will keep it in mind. At one time I wedged a short 1/4" board between the back of the hitch and the 5th wheel to keep it from banging around when I was driving (unhitched of course). However that was only till I got around to adjusting it.

I keep mine pretty tight. Once I had it so tight I could hardly move it. I decided I had gotten carried away a bit and backed it off some - but still fairly stiff.

We're full time and move pretty often a good part of the year, it seems I have to tighten it up every couple of months. For others with the pullrite, is that fairly common?

I adjusted mine a couple times at first but also disassembled it and made shims to go under the horizontal wear plates. I cut them out of sheet metal and did a trial and error fit. It took most of the rocking out of it. It didn't rock real bad but you could grab it and tell that it had play in it. I also added washers to the pivot shaft to minimize any side to side slop in the head.

nazpaz
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't needed he bungee cord trick but will keep it in mind. At one time I wedged a short 1/4" board between the back of the hitch and the 5th wheel to keep it from banging around when I was driving (unhitched of course). However that was only till I got around to adjusting it.

I keep mine pretty tight. Once I had it so tight I could hardly move it. I decided I had gotten carried away a bit and backed it off some - but still fairly stiff.

We're full time and move pretty often a good part of the year, it seems I have to tighten it up every couple of months. For others with the pullrite, is that fairly common?
-G.R. "Scott" Cundiff
Our Here and There Blog
2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ
--
We've visited them all (but not always with the RV)

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Tightening adjustment but will help but it will still rotate andclang sometimes when unloaded. I use one bungee around the handle down to the rail, keeps everything still and quiet.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
I just used a couple of bungee cords pulling forward to each of the front corners.
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got it, thanks!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

nazpaz
Explorer
Explorer
He needs to check out his manual. Look for Adjusting the Turntable Cam Arm Assembly.

Here's the text:
This adjustment will need to be made periodically. If you are experiencing a bump or โ€œclunkโ€ when starting or stopping,
or if the hitch is sliding up and down the way tubes when you are not hooked up to the trailer you can perform this
adjustment to reduce the noise and keep the hitch in the forward towing position when not trailering.
1. The Turntable Cam Arm Roller, {C3} needs to be kept snug against the rear edge of the of the Cam Slot (see below).
2. To adjust, loosen the Jam Nut located on the Threaded Stop Assembly {E}, under the Fifth Wheel Plate {A} (on the
side facing the front of your truck).
3. Adjusting the Threaded Stop Assemblyโ€™s hex-shaped plate, will remove excessive play from between the Plastic Wear
Plates and the Turntable Cam Arm Roller.
4. Turn the hex-shaped plate of the Threaded Stop Assembly by hand, adjusting incrementally, until resistance is felt
when pulling the Turntable Cam Arm Assembly into the angled Cam Slot. While holding the hex-shaped plate in
place, tighten the Jam Nut with a wrench.
ADJUSTING THE TURNTABLE CAM ARM ASSEMBLY
-G.R. "Scott" Cundiff
Our Here and There Blog
2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ
--
We've visited them all (but not always with the RV)

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I have mine adjusted snug enough that it stays in place. There is a large nut and adjustment screw in front.