cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide out kitty wampus....what the heck (happy ending)

msjdbman
Explorer
Explorer
Had a strange occurence today. I had the 5th wheel up by the house with both of the slides out working on the camper beginning to get it ready for our upcoming trip. Finished the planned work, began running the slides in and the super slide was only retracting on the front (electric slides). My first thought was what the heck. Well, then I got to thinking...after a long day yesterday working on both the 5th wheel and the gooseneck trailer in my shop, I had found one half of a 1/4 inch bolt and the nut while cleaning up. My initial thought yesterday was that on my gooseneck, perhaps one of the slipper spring retention bolts had broken, since I had jacked the trailer up working on the brakes. So much for that thought, yupper I had broken a shear bolt on the slide drive shaft. An hour later and we are good to go again, but for the life of me I don't know why the bolt broke. Everything turns very freely by hand, and I had no trouble getting the 2 ends of the slide evened and retimed. But oh well...at least it happened at home where tools are plentiful rather than out in a campground.
2008 Duramax/Allison LT2 Crew cab Standard Box. Hellwig Air Assist. BD Diesel VVT Turbo Brake. 2003 Coachmen Chaparral 295 IKS
5 REPLIES 5

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for replying. Be adding one of those to my repair kit.

msjdbman
Explorer
Explorer
I wound up using a 1.5 inch bolt. Really should be 1.25 inch but didn't have one on hand. There's no clearance issues so no problem. I used a grade 5 bolt too. If I have any additional problems, I'll probably use a grade 8 bolt too. In light of the situation, I'll have a spare bolt in my traveling tool box too.
2008 Duramax/Allison LT2 Crew cab Standard Box. Hellwig Air Assist. BD Diesel VVT Turbo Brake. 2003 Coachmen Chaparral 295 IKS

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
What is the length of the bolt? Sounds like something I need to add to the supply list.

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
You are lucky that it was as bolt that sheared. Two motorhomes ago, our slide had spiral pins that were the sacrificial item. When they sheared it was HARD to get the shafts lined up to re-insert a spiral or roll pin. Out last motorhome had grade 8 bolts for that purpose. When I sheared one of them, it was MUCH easier lining up the shaft to insert a replacement bolt. As has been mentioned above, we had to use grade 8 bolts.

Ed Headington

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
I sheared many a 1/4" pin on the big slide of our old 2004 Sandpiper. I got pretty good at aligning the slide and shaft hole before I was able to get a grade 8 1/4" bolt. It never sheared again.