cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slider Hitch in a Long Bed

DuneJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a short box 3/4 ton truck with a superglide slider hitch, but, I'm looking at a 1 ton long bed and wondering if anyone else has just switched their slider hitch to their long bed truck.
2005 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 CC Duramax/Allison, with 18K SuperGlide Hitch
2008 385 Fleetwood Gearbox
2015 Polaris Rzr4 1000
2002 Honda 400ex
2009 Polaris Outlaw 90
7 REPLIES 7

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a long bed. I have a TC and 5th Wheel. The 5th wheel is a 1987 19 ft Alpenlite, which I think was built for a short bed 1/2 ton truck. I have extended the pin box about 12". Although it now has clearance, I would like more. I have toyed with getting a slider.

From the factory, it is a little light on the pin. I would like to add more weight in front of the axles, and a slider would allow me the clearance to do that.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
In the past before short beds became popular Rv'ers with long bed trucks used the slider hitches to provide a little more maneuverability when parking in tight spots.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I loved my super glide, but I got rid of it when I upgraded to a long bed. I saw no advantage of having a hitch that big and heavy, I preferred to have something I could move in and out of my truck bed by myself.

If you put it on Craigslist, you could likely sell it in a day if priced appropriately.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I made and bolted plates onto my 18,000 super slide so it could be used to pull a regular FW pin. Plates kept the hitch from sliding and the standard FW pin just rotated in it with no capture plate.

DuneJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
it is an automatic slider...
I just need to find someone nearby that can do it on a quick turn around, getting the truck today, and have to pull the trailer tomorrow!
2005 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 CC Duramax/Allison, with 18K SuperGlide Hitch
2008 385 Fleetwood Gearbox
2015 Polaris Rzr4 1000
2002 Honda 400ex
2009 Polaris Outlaw 90

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Its been brought up before and yes a few folks moved their Superglide (other sliders) to the new long bed truck.
Sliders are popular with short bed truck owners. It should sell quick if priced right...and you were interested in a non sliding hitch.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
While I have not, thinking logically and critically about this, it does not seem like there should be any problem.

If it is a manual slider, then you probably won't need to use it.

If it is an auto slider, it won't hurt anything but really isn't serving any purpose.

Sure makes sense to me to not have to buy a new hitch head.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.