cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sliding Door off Track

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
We have the sliding door leading into the bedroom in our travel trailer. One side of the door has come off the track, but I do not have access to the track or the runners to see the problem. I need to remove the door in order to check things out, but I can't seem to get it. Does anyone know how these are typically mounted?
8 REPLIES 8

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Dtank wrote:
monkey44 wrote:
Stand in the middle of the door, pull the door closed toward you as much as you can, put one hand on either side and lift door, move it to one side or the other. Wheels are probably sitting in a track, so you lift the wheels out of it. That's how some are mounted, but not sure if all RV sliding doors are the same. ๐Ÿ™‚

Reverse the process for re-mounting ... if you just want to remount the door, try lifting it and hook the wheels up over the track, one side or the other.

Pretty accurate description.

When new, my 5th wheel was missing the guide at the bottom of the door. Missed it on the walk thru. About $2 at a hardware store & 5 minutes work - probably equates to a week or two if returned to the dealer for a "fixit".

Look it over carefully!! - :h
Usually it's something that can be done without removing the door.

~

See my post above - I had tried the 'lift and remove' before coming here. Wish it were that easy. These were very different, as they were casters with wheels on both sides that were inset to a u-shaped channel. The casters slide out of the track in a small gap at the end of the rail by the wall, but that doesn't work when the door is attached. The removal of the door, then, requires the removal of the trim piece blocking access to the latches.

Interesting design, in that it is likely much sturdier for transport than your typical one-sided hanging roller, but you'd think they could have built in some access to these latches to allow for easier removal and repair.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
Stand in the middle of the door, pull the door closed toward you as much as you can, put one hand on either side and lift door, move it to one side or the other. Wheels are probably sitting in a track, so you lift the wheels out of it. That's how some are mounted, but not sure if all RV sliding doors are the same. ๐Ÿ™‚

Reverse the process for re-mounting ... if you just want to remount the door, try lifting it and hook the wheels up over the track, one side or the other.

Pretty accurate description.

When new, my 5th wheel was missing the guide at the bottom of the door. Missed it on the walk thru. About $2 at a hardware store & 5 minutes work - probably equates to a week or two if returned to the dealer for a "fixit".

Look it over carefully!! - :h
Usually it's something that can be done without removing the door.

~

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
In case anyone else runs into problems and discovers this thread, here's what I found...

The pocket doors in our trailer do not have the 'lift and remove' style that is common on many sliding doors, and that many above mentioned. These pocket doors have rollers that run inside a track, and the door is removed from the rollers themselves by releasing a latch that is holding the door onto the roller via a 'peg' that is mounted to the top of the door. This latch, however, could only be accessed by removing the facia piece above the door opening in order to access these latches.

I'm currently in the process of trying to track down the exact part for the roller (it is bent, which I'm guessing is why the door came off of it in the first place), but it is not a difficult repair. It's just not one that can be done without removing the trim that blocks access to the latch system.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most likely you have a cabinet on one side of the pocket door enclosure, you will need to remove it to access the issue. Good chance the track's screws have loosened or fallen out or the roller assembly has failed.

I am assuming you have a pocket door issue.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Pocket doors are brilliant . . . until they aren't. They seem to come off the track all too often, and if you don't know exactly how to get them back on the track, they can drive you nuts.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
They are called "pocket doors". Acampingwewillgo has the right idea. But, you need to remove the stop completely to be able to reset the door. YouTube has a few videos of the procedure. It's quite simple.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
They can be a real pain cause it's mostly done by feel since you can't see much. I think on mine I was able to remove the trim piece from the door opening top which did at least expose the track a bit. Just lift and tilt and with a tad of luck, you'll be in business.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic