cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Small Microwave for Honda 1000 Genny

wolverine68
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for a small microwave that I can run with my Honda 1000. I picked up a GE .7Cubic ft, 700 watt unit and my Honda will only run it for about 8 seconds before overload protection kicks in. I see some 600 watt units available online. Any guesses as to whether the little Honda can run it??? Thanks in advance.
04 Chev LLY Duramax
07 Desert Fox 24AS Toyhauler
Bikes and quads to fill the toyhauler
21 REPLIES 21

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
BikerDan, has, over the years, made many constructive and helpful comments.

Your suggestion that a 2k generator is almost useless should be taken with a huge grain of salt. There is more than one way that other equipment could be added that would allow a 2k genny to run a 13500 btu roof air unit. Several folks here have done so successfully.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
bikendan wrote:
that's why i recommend buying a 2000w inverter generator, over a 1000w inverter generator.
it only costs a little more and you can run everything but the a/c.
a 1000w inverter generator is only good for recharging the battery.

First time you've made a constructive comment...lol

A 1K genny is basically useless. A 2K is almost useless (won't start any ac units) whereas a 2500 or 3K unit handles most everything. Price spread isn't all that much either.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Second hand information... I know of a fella with a 1000w inverter, had a 700w microwave that it would not run. Bought a 600w mw and has no problems.

Looked up the specs on a Daewoo 600w'er, input is still 1200w. It'll cost you $50 or so to find out if it'll work on your genny.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
that's why i recommend buying a 2000w inverter generator, over a 1000w inverter generator.
it only costs a little more and you can run everything but the a/c.
a 1000w inverter generator is only good for recharging the battery.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
The problem is that the 700 watts is OUTPUT (cooking)power. According to GE, their 0.7 cu ft 700 watt microwave DRAWS 1500 watts from the AC supply, which is way above the 1000 watts the Honda genny can put out continuously.

You will have a hard time finding a microwave that draws under 1000 watts input power. Maybe a small inverter microwave on a low power level as someone mentioned already.

Steve

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Best shot IMO is a Panasonic 'inverter' style microwave.

These actually reduce power when a lower power setting is chosen. Typical microwave just cycles power at lower settings. IIRC they get down to 500 watts input on the lower settings.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll guess maybe. That's not much difference.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman