cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

smartphone as hotspot for remote work

CampSight
Explorer
Explorer
I'm about to start a remote job and would like to occasionally camp while doing so. I'll be issued a laptop and will need to perform 2D documentation work of 3D CAD designs.

For those of whom are using their smartphone as a hotspot when the CG WiFi isn't adequate, I'd like to know your experiences and recommendations. My phone plan allows only so much data for this purpose each month so I don't want to get stuck being unable to do my job during a trip.
13 REPLIES 13

CampSight
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies.

chovy
Explorer
Explorer
I use mintmobile.com ($15/mo for 4gb data). I just upgraded to 40gb (unlimited*) for $30. If I were you I would only connect to the phones hot spot when you need to get online. Then log off. otherwise you will burn through your data plan.

I am getting a trailer and hopefully Starlink will be available this year sometime.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
rlw999 wrote:
Reading the app's description, it's not clear that it can even do this reliably.
or legally.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Desert Drew wrote:
If you have an Android phone PDANet is the way to go...It allows unlimited usage without using your phones data plan ...
How is that possible?

I think he means that it uses the phone data, but not the hotspot data. Many plans are available with unlimited data to the phone handset, but a smaller metered bucket (like 10GB) for hotspot data.

Reading the app's description, it's not clear that it can even do this reliably.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Desert Drew wrote:
If you have an Android phone PDANet is the way to go...It allows unlimited usage without using your phones data plan ...
How is that possible?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Anything with images,especially advertising, eats up your data allotment.

There are a few true unlimited plans, but you have to read the fine print ! If you really want to make it work, get a dedicated cellular to WiFi router with an external antenna.

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
CampSight wrote:
I'm about to start a remote job and would like to occasionally camp while doing so. I'll be issued a laptop and will need to perform 2D documentation work of 3D CAD designs.

For those of whom are using their smartphone as a hotspot when the CG WiFi isn't adequate, I'd like to know your experiences and recommendations. My phone plan allows only so much data for this purpose each month so I don't want to get stuck being unable to do my job during a trip.

A lot depends on where you're going and how well it's covered by cell towers. There's one nearby campground I go to in a valley that's seemingly served by a single cell tower for all providers. While I can get good signal (4 out of 5 bars), the actual throughput is pretty low, I'm lucky to see 1 mbit/second of downstream and less than that upstream.

It's fine for checking email and some light web browsing, but if you're regularly transferring large files up/down from the company's file server, it's not going to be a good experience for you.

In a more urban area with better cell coverage I can easily get 40mbit/sec or more and my upstream bandwidth is better than my cable internet at home. I have both AT&T and Verizon SIM's and I switch to whichever gives me better signal.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Real 5G will never be anything but a metropolitan phenomena. The range is too short and it is blocked by almost anything. The carriers are calling some 4G as 5G since their bloated hype has collapsed.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
It all depends on the available signal strength. I'm starting to see 5G here in Alabama and that helps greatly. I use ATT 4G in most places, around 60 to 90 GB a month. I was with Verizon, but they had far too many dead spots in the rural SE. For a time ATT was worse and Verizon was much better, but now it has changed for the areas I go to the most. ATT does cost more, but at least I can get a signal most of the time! Really need a booster and an antenna you can raise, makes a big difference. Upload speed is the challenge, in the sticks its usually slow for me in the evenings.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you have an Unlimited plan with a good provider. I use AT&T and can use up to 30GB per month right on my Pixel 5's internal Hotspot. Since your doing CAD work your needs will be high. Good luck.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd say it depends on your consumption, at 100 GB/mo or so I'd say Visible is good. If you start pushing past that then I don't know, it's beyond my personal experience. So far this trip we have had a slow connect, last night in Vernon TX, once in over thirty stops including a lot of boondocking. But we have a booster and an omnidirectional antenna on an extendable pole. Tho I haven't extended the pole once so the antenna is 10 to 11 ft up.
You will want a good booster.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
We have Visible and we use our cell phones as Hotspot while camping. Most CG don't have a big enough pipe. We haven't tried any great volumes of data but are happy with the Hotspot.

Desert_Drew
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an Android phone PDANet is the way to go...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pdanet&hl=en_US&gl=US

It allows unlimited usage without using your phones data plan and it is faster than a normal hotspot! My wife and I live where there are no phone or cable lines, this is the best solution!
Drew & Micki V. - Full-Time Since 2001
2006 Forest River Sandpiper Sport SP34T
1982 GMC C3500 3+3 Camper Special w/modified 7.4L
1976 Holiday Rambler Presidential 3300 TT (still roadworthy... just in case)
1984 Chevy K2500 Suburban (just in case)