Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar Tax Credits

wfred
Explorer
Explorer
All:

I'm starting to seriously consider adding solar to my trailer now that our state is matching 60% of the federal energy tax credit. For those of you that have taken advantage of the tax credits, I have a couple of questions.

1.) Can/did you include the cost of the batteries? I have seen several briefs about an IRS ruling confirming the cost of the batteries can be included.

2.) What paperwork do you need in addition to the IRS form 5695? Is it as simple as totaling your receipts and adding it to the form or is there more paperwork I need to present?

Thanks for the help,

Fred
2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Z71
2012 Viewfinder Signature 28BHSS
22 REPLIES 22

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
I would definitely seek the help of a tax attorney or accountant... went to the govt website which directed to this website.

It states "The following applies to the 3 product categories below:
Tax Credit:30% of cost with no upper limitExpires:December 31, 2016Details:Existing homes & new construction qualify. Both principal residences and second homes qualify. Rentals do not qualify."

When you click on the "principle residences" link it states "What is a "principal residence?"

The tax credit for energy efficiency is available for improvements made to a home that you own and use as your "principal residence." This is the home where you live most of the time. A temporary absence due to special circumstances, such as illness, education, business, military service, or vacation will not change your principal residence.

The home must be in the United States. It can include a house, houseboat, mobile home, cooperative apartment, condominium, and a manufactured home.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The law (Section 25C(c)(1)(A)) specifies: such component is installed in or on a dwelling unit located in the United States and owned and used by the taxpayer as the taxpayer's principal residence"

I would definitely seek legal hepl with them using the terms dwelling and what signifies a "mobile home". My thoughts are that a dwelling is a home structure and that a mobile home is not an RV. But that's just how I would interpret it.

I agree with n7bsn...
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

TerriStar
Explorer
Explorer
Form 5695 asks if the solar panels were attached to your main residence. Says, if "no", deduction not allowed.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
wfred wrote:

2.) What paperwork do you need in addition to the IRS form 5695?
none,if you file online.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I asked my tax lady about solar in my second home and was told it applies to primary residence only. all I get to do is deduct interest, etc. from my taxes
bumpy

SCVJeff wrote:
Well this morons tax guy says it is legal in this state since the motorhome is considered a second home, so the solar was deducted. As far as batteries are concerned... Don't push it... Wether or not you can tie those together, I doubt you will find an auditor that understands the story you whipped up.

Looks like two "experts" have different opinions.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I asked my tax lady about solar in my second home and was told it applies to primary residence only. all I get to do is deduct interest, etc. from my taxes
bumpy

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Well this morons tax guy says it is legal in this state since the motorhome is considered a second home, so the solar was deducted. As far as batteries are concerned... Don't push it... Wether or not you can tie those together, I doubt you will find an auditor that understands the story you whipped up.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Moved from Technology Corner

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I would find a Tax expert on Solar Credits and ask them, not us morons in a forum,
I would -not- be surprised that RVs are excluded.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.