cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sometimes you don't need to camp to see critters...

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
This rather large gentleman wandered through our front yard this morning, hands down the biggest bull elk I have ever seen. He was docile, just grazing though he did take a long look at my garden {which is producing Blackberries, Raspberries, Strawberries, Apples, and Pears, along with Tomatoes, and even a couple of Jalapeรฑos}. Fortunately I enclosed the 20 X 20' plot with 7.5' tall elk fencing which he seemed to respect.

This shot was taken looking though my garden, note the black mesh elk fencing:

We often have elk in our yard as the 4 to 5' chain link fencing doesn't even slow them down but they usually pass through at night as evidenced by the calling cards they leave behind {along with their hoof prints.| The locals call them "Elk Duds".
:B
7 REPLIES 7

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Too cool!
Initially I thought this was going to be about what you might see in Walmart at 2am!

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
they're back...

While not nearly as large as our previous guest these three fine young bulls have been grazing and then bedding down right next door for an hour.

Here is a shot of my bride standing on our RV parking pad on the south driveway. We have friends coming this morning in their Class C so I moved our coach to the north driveway yesterday.

This guy is eyeing my garden like a dog looking at a pork chop. Fortunately he too seems willing to respect the 7.5' tall elk fence but the blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, apple and pears are ringing his bell.

:B

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, None of them around here. I think I would be nervous if one of them wandered though my yard.

I'm glad I don't need to have a fence that big to protect my garden.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Desert Captain, the bull appears to have already lost the velvet. I didn't think that happened until about Sept.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Nice! One of our favorite memories of our first trip to Banff NP was watching a bull elk on someone's front lawn eating apples off their tree.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
What a beautiful animal!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Nice AZ bull!
We have plenty of fence destroyers that leave yard art behind too. This was last week.

At least our puppy has quit OD-ing on elk duds....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold