Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sugestions for Entry Level Cheap Dinghy

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
Hello
Just got a Class A and want to try out a dinghy. We are a family of 3 just want to try a simple, light and older car/suv (fwd or 4wd/awd)that can be bought for less than 4k to see if it works for us. I am new to this but heard I will need base plate and tow bar, lights and brake hook up but I thought I read if less than 3K weight I won't need supplemental brakes. This MH already has tow bars attached to hitch I believe.

Any suggestions?
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851
22 REPLIES 22

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
A good used Jeep Patriot with manual transmission can be had for a reasonable amount. Other than that, a used Chevy Tracker/Suzuki Sidekick is light and easy to set up for four-down towing.

Another idea would be to find a used tow dolly and pull whatever smaller front wheel drive vehicle you may already have. It could be cheaper than setting up a vehicle with a tow plate, buying the tow bar (if that isn't one on your rig already) and the lights, etc. to make it legal in most states. Several tow dollies have their own lights and surge brakes - the easiest and quickest way to get on the road. Another benefit of a tow dolly is that you can back out (slowly) if needed without having someone in the towed vehicle to stabilize the steering wheel.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Chevrolet Tracker.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
That 3000 pound limit for braking usually applies to trailers, and it depends on the state in which you are traveling. some states are less, some states say GVWR of the trailer, some states say unladen weight of the trailer. Many states have a legal definition of "trailer" that clearly excludes towed motor vehicles.
Yes, the laws of physics are usually immutable. One of those laws, that is rarely discussed, is "Reaction Time". That is, the time that passes between when the driver realizes that he must stop NOW, and the time when his foot actually touches the brake pedal. It is shocking how far a vehicle will travel in that period of time at 65 MPH!
Another law of physics is "Stopping Distance". That is, the distance the vehicle will travel AFTER the driver slams on the brakes. At 65 MPH, that too, is a shocking distance.
In the majority of sudden emergency scenarios often presented on this forum, when the Reaction Time is added to the Stopping (or Braking) distance, it becomes obvious that an empty motorhome will not stop in time, much less one loaded near GVWR.
Google it. The results can be quite educational.
All that having been said, is auxiliary braking for a towed motor vehicle a "good idea"? Yes, of course it is. Just don't expect too much of it.
Now, the towed vehicle...
PT Cruiser with manual transmission (automatic can be dolly towed)
Subaru with manual transmission (automatic must be trailered)
Jeep Wrangler (not exactly inexpensive, but they can be found for under $10K)
Geo Tracker 4X4
Suzuki Samurai 4X4
VW original bug, Baja bug, Manx, Thing, or Karmann Ghia (again, a little pricey, but can be found for under $10K)
Some automatic transmission vehicles can be towed four down with the addition of a lube pump. Check with REMCO to see if your choice is on their list.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Cranemec
Explorer
Explorer
Can you drive a manual transmission? Older Scion xB with a manual. Less than 3K pounds and huge on the inside. We loved our Scion with our gasser but know that we have our DP, we tow our much heavier Ford Explorer.
2015 American Coach Tradition 42G

gafidler
Explorer
Explorer
Honda CRV before 2014

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Which brand base plate you'll need will be somewhat dependent on what tow bar you have, although there are inter-brand adapters available in some cases. Your state's laws may not require a supplemental braking system, but the laws of physics do, and they apply everywhere. Your motorhome will take longer to stop when towing an unbraked toad. It may not be much longer, but a braking system could make the difference between a hit or a miss...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Honda Accord or Civic.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Look for a Chevy HHR. A little heavier than you may be looking for but they can be towed 4 down and are reliable as all get out. My '06 has 140k on it and is not showing any signs of needing replacement.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)