Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Summer storage in Arizona

Paul_G_
Explorer
Explorer
Hello:

Don't know if this is the correct place for this question but here goes.

We are planning to leave our 5th wheel in Arizona over the summer and am wondering what if anything is suggested for ventilation or leaving water in a bucket for moisture. How about a solar vent fan? Or just leave it alone, like we do in Minnesota.

As it stands now, I can leave the bathroom vent open as it has a vent cover. I have cut 1' blue insulation board to cover all windows from the inside. I'd like to do more but don't really know what else to do.

I know the sun and heat are hard on it but so is dragging it back and forth each year.

Just looking for ideas or comments.

Thanks.

Paul...
9 REPLIES 9

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
u-Hual in casa Grande has covered storage. chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
Paul G. wrote:
Hello:

We are planning to leave our 5th wheel in Arizona over the summer and am wondering what if anything is suggested for ventilation or leaving water in a bucket for moisture. How about a solar vent fan? Or just leave it alone, like we do in Minnesota.

As it stands now, I can leave the bathroom vent open as it has a vent cover. I have cut 1' blue insulation board to cover all windows from the inside. I'd like to do more but don't really know what else to do.

I know the sun and heat are hard on it but so is dragging it back and forth each year.

Just looking for ideas or comments.

Thanks.

Paul...
When you get back it you might be able to put all of it in the back of your pickup.
So big a world, so little time to see.

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
We use RV Harbor in Surprise, AZ since its got power, covered and paved. Around $160 for 45 foot space. Worth every penny when the rig is parked in the summer.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly be prepared to spend $150 to $225 a month for just a simple covered parking spot. Storage places here know the sun kills RVs and they will charge for it.
I just pulled mine out due to 2 price increases in less than a year.

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
I definitely would look for a storage facility that is covered, if only to get the relentless sun off your rig.

If you were building a storage area, I'd consider building an aluminum carport or pole barn, put solar panels on top with a good converter and some maintenance free batteries, and have the electricity obtained from the panels power some fans, just to keep the air blowing. Adding an inverter doesn't hurt either for keeping the batteries topped off... but I'd recommend a Battery Minder or other trickle charger so there is far less chance the batteries will be boiled dry.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Paul G. wrote:
Hello:

We are planning to leave our 5th wheel in Arizona over the summer and am wondering what if anything is suggested for ventilation or leaving water in a bucket for moisture.

Thanks.

Paul...

Suggest you find a storage facility that is covered or enclosed.

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
I'd recommend indoor storage in Arizona.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't leave batteries in it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I live and store my trailer in Arizona and you're right, the sun does take a toll. If you have a vent cover, it will help mitigate the heat when the sun is at it's worst. Just leave the vent open about an inch so if there is a dust storm your FW doesn't fill up with dirt. You won't need to leave a bucket of water in the coach for humidity. Arizona can get quite humid from early July to September due to our monsoon rains.

Make sure your tires are covered and protected from the sun. Although impractical, they'll be in even better shape if you can somehow jack up the rig and take the weight off of them.

I'd recommend you wax your RV with a UV protectant wax to help Prevent decal damage. 303 works well for many, but you need to reapply it every 30 days or so which won't work for you. I'd suggest Thetford RV wax which lasts many months before it needs to be reapplied.

Before you store it, make sure you have a full charge on your batteries and then disconnect them. Before hooking them back up again, you'll need to check the fluid levels and top them off.

Putting the insulation board in the windows is a really good idea because it will keep the sun from damaging interior materials.

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)