cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suzuki Vitara stuck in park

JDsdogs
Nomad II
Nomad II
While towing our 08 Vitata, we stopped at a rest stop to run it for a few minutes
as required every 200 miles. Could not get the automatic transmission out of park.
Following owner manual instructions, I hit the manual release and was able to shift the transmission into drive to ensure lubrication. When we arrived at our destination, I found I could over ride the transmission lockout, but could not get the transfer case out of neutral. Searching the web, I found an old post from 09 that described the same problem. The electric lockout gets its power from the brake light circuit, so that it ensures that the brake is applied before shifting out of park or changing gears in the transfer case. A wire from our Vitara's tow brake system, that runs to the dash of our motor home to indicate that the brakes are applied in the towed vehicle, pinched, grounded out and blew the fuse to the brake light circuit. No power to the brake light circuit = no shift. I located the pinched wire, repaired it, put in a new fuse and $1.25 later I'm on the road again. Just thought I would post this as an old post from this site probably saved me many $$ in repair bills.
Wind at your back
JDsdogs.
8 REPLIES 8

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I too have a 2006 GV and blew the fuse hooking up my brake system backfeed prevention relay. Now if were to happen, I know what the problem is. the GV and my old 95 Sidekick. Sidekick is easier to prep for towing but both are less than five minutes and no problems.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

JDsdogs
Nomad II
Nomad II
Have towed a 97 4x4 Suzuki sidekick with manual transmission and now have the 08 4x4 Vitara with the automatic, you have to have the transfer case that has the neutral setting in order to tow 4 down. It tows great as long as ya don't ground out a wire like I did. I looked at tow guide before I purchased the vehicle and it said it could be towed. I bought a tow dolly only to find I could not use it, the vehicle MUST be towed 4 down. Fortunately, the dealer who said the dolly would work was helping hook up the vehicle to the dolly only to find out it could not be done. They had not run paper work yet so refunded my $$. I bought a brake system and they installed it along with the Stowmaster tow bar I had used on the 97. Of course I had to buy new frame hardware.
The tow guide said I could tow it, just not exactly how (or I missed it) Thinking of buying a Toad? Bring up the owners manual on the web and read it carefully prior to purchase.
Not only is having some fuses along a good idea, but having a volt-ohm meter to find the short is essential. If you blew a fuse, it indicates a dead short, If ya don't fix that issue first you are just gonna waste a fuse. You can pick up a volt-ohm meter dirt cheap at Harbor Freight. Just make sure your readin glasses are clean, the numbers on it are darned small :R

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I found and downloaded the '08 owners manual and saw the transfer switch drawing and description. Good stuff to know.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
We towed Our Two Wheel Drive 92 Tracker Four Down for about 70,000'Miles with No problem!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

cmarq
Explorer
Explorer
Suzuki with auto trans 4wd can be towed, mine has the switch which puts transfer case in neutral. Chevy trackers were suzuki with the chevy logo. I towed my tracker 4wd for 11 years NO problems. Too bad they stopped selling in US

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Is it a 4 wheel drive Vitara? We had a 2 wheel drive and traded it for a Focus with manual transmission because we didn't think it could be towed. Loved our Suzuki!
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
News to me that an auto with automatic transmission can be towed. I have to keep that in mind. What does the owner's manual say about it?
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

cmarq
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Great info I have a 06 grand vitara that I tow am going to make sure I have a spare fuse for that circuit.