cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sway and jerking issues

thskilla0069
Explorer
Explorer
I am making a big 2900 mile move across the country here soon. I decided instead of paying another company to just move my stuff that I would buy a trailer and pull it with my 2012 Ram 1500 4x4 Crew cab. This truck allows me to have up to 8500 lbs for towing. I bought me an 8.5x20 enclosed trailer that has a foot taller height than normal (for sxs when I buy another). I towed it home on a regular ball hitch as it was unloaded and it towed fine even without brake controller. It weighs 3,000 lb empty and I am only allowed to load 4k in it since its just a 7k trailer. I installed brake controller and got a use weight distribution setup. I loaded the trailer and first trip to scales showed about 1800lbs tongue weight and 6600lbs on the axles. I noticed some pushing back and forth on this small trip to scales from the trailer. I since then have redistributed my weight towards the back. Yesterday I went to the scales and had 7100 on the back axles and 700lbs of tongue weight (granted this is with weight distribution hooked up so I am guess probably 1000lbs of actual tongue weight). The back and front axles of truck were under the 3900 lb limit and I know the axles on the trailer are 100 over but I feel with a new trailer doing just this one trip and greasing the hubs daily on the trip should be all right. I went for a little trip down the interstate just keeping it at 60-65 mph. I got a bad swaying motion the one time and it was pretty scary. The things I think that are causing the issue with the swaying is the hitch for the WD I bought used is base of ball about 24 inches high and trailer is only 19 inches at the bottom of the coupler. I measured trailer with it hooked up and the front is 2 inches taller than the back. Being this trailer also is very tall and pretty square at the front I would imagine the wind is pushing the top of this rig and reducing my tongue weight along with the hitch having it nose up 2 inches. Instantly when I got home I ordered a new WD setup with adjustable hitch to be able to lower the trailer and get it level or even maybe an inch lower in the front and it came with just one friction sway linkage and 1200 lb bars. Do you think the 2 inches, no sway prevention, and having a tall front squared trailer could be removing a lot of my tongue weight and causing this sway? I know when I actually leave I will probably add about 200 lbs of residual stuff in the furnished place we staying to the front to add a little more tongue weight not to mention sons bikes and stuff in the back of the truck.
21 REPLIES 21

thskilla0069
Explorer
Explorer
well I ordered the new WD system because my initial one wasn't adjustable. It was 4 inches higher and I didn't want to squat the back of my truck a whole 4 inches to make trailer level. The new system I will setup according to the procedure listed on here. At first I was just in shock to think that little bit could cause it. I should get it tomorrow and I will get it put on and see how it goes.

The jerking happened the first time when I had 1800lbs on the tongue.. It wasn't really porposing as it was more of the trailer pushing the truck back and forth which I think might of been just due to a little give in the hitch system. I did add airbags to the back and I pumped them up with about 17lbs last night and I didn't really feel the bumps or porposing at all for the most part just the sway that happened that was pretty scary. Out here in Nevada its not uncommon for 30 to 60 mph gusts so that is what scares me about this trip. If I can get the hell out of this state and over to florida with nice calm days and no crosswinds then i'll be happy.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like your on the right track on sway. Proper tongue weight and ball height. Sway control should only come into play with hard side winds and emergency braking. Not sure what you mean on the jerking problem. I'm guessing there is a lot of bounce on the hitch, delivering what is known as porposing. It usually becomes evident at expansion joints on concrete highways. If that's it, a lot of it is just the nature of the beast. It can be lessened with very good shocks and stiffening the rear suspension. I put StablLoads on the truck springs and Bilsteins Shock on my TV. I didn't eliminate the action but controlled it significantly

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
thskilla0069 wrote:
...I wouldn't of assumed just 2 inches higher would cause it ....I just hope dropping trailer to level or lower with hitch and having at least one friction sway will help it.

If you haven't already read the sticky on Trailer Hitch Setup Procedure you really should. 2" high on the ball can make a massive difference and create the exact situation you describe. With the WD system set up properly, the trailer frame (when loaded) should be parallel to the ground and the front axle of the truck riding at unloaded height. If you don't have one or both of those correct it can make things really crazy.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
The wind isn't going to grab the nose of the trailer and reduce the tongue weight.
Move more stuff forward to increase the tongue weight, and that will also cause the truck to squat a little more and get the tongue down to make the trailer more level.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

thskilla0069
Explorer
Explorer
If I have 1000 lbs on tongue and overall weight at 8000 then it would be 12.5%. I wouldn't of assumed just 2 inches higher would cause it but I am also wondering if since its such a big flat surface on top if the wind pushing the top of the trailer is making it where I do need more tongue weight to counter. I just went and checked tires they are max setting of 44 psi and one was 37 and other was 40. which before I leave I was going to make sure all tires even on the trailer were exact. I know the trailer were only 1 or 2 psi lower than max when I checked other week. I just hope dropping trailer to level or lower with hitch and having at least one friction sway will help it.

Seamutt
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to look at is air pressure in the trucks rear wheels. My owners manual reads 80 lb when towing which is max for the tires. If I forget to increase the pressure I get lots of sway.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Nose high = sway. Get the trailer level or slightly nose down, 12-15 percent of your weight on the tongue and your sway issue will go away.