cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tailgate hits the tongue jack?

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Saw this in a Camping World catalog. Installation videos shown for manual and electric jacks. Interesting concept. I may need to make some type of quick disconnect for my jack.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)
14 REPLIES 14

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
When you post something in any forum you need to expect a discussion.
Thread closed.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow !!!

From reading all the expert recommendations and remarks:

1. I could be a clueless newbie who may not know how to operate a tongue jack. (The first time I operated one, was about 45 years ago.)

2. I could have the wrong hitch. I'm told, if the tailgate hits the jack, the hitch is wrong for the application. (I've actually got three hitches, the tailgate hits the jack with all of them, and yes, I'm aware of longer shanks, along with the dollar signs associated with them. My last two trailers had a different brand of jack and the tailgate didn't hit it. I guess the hitches were right for those applications.)

3. I could need help, figuring out what to do about rattling, theft deterrent, and storage. Not to worry, I'll be OK.

I posted this, for informational purposes. That, and I might just try one. If I don't like it, I can easily put things back the way they were, and I'm not out a lot of money. I put this here, in this section because, it could apply to hybrids, teardrops, pop ups, and utility trailers, as well as travel trailers.

If you like it, wonderfull. Some posters did. If you don't like it, that's OK, too, but, I don't need help figuring out how to wire it, or how to use it, and I don't need another hitch. I was just letting folks know this thing is out there.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
cbshoestring wrote:
handye9 wrote:
Saw this in a Camping World catalog. Installation videos shown for manual and electric jacks. Interesting concept. I may need to make some type of quick disconnect for my jack.

Just something else to rattle while going down the road. Plus you have to worry that someone could steals the jack, while you are in McDonald's buying a big mack. Unless, of course, you add one more greasy, dirty steel contraption to your storage compartment while travelling.

I don't think it is designed to remain there during travel. You would need to store it somewhere. So no rattle and no risk of theft.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's pretty clever! After adding the power jack, I resigned myself to never opening the tailgate while hitched up. I could seriously consider this product.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
handye9 wrote:

Just something else to rattle while going down the road. Plus you have to worry that someone could steals the jack, while you are in McDonald's buying a big mack. Unless, of course, you add one more greasy, dirty steel contraption to your storage compartment while travelling.

Dragonfly
Explorer
Explorer
I did two things to allow me to drop the tailgate. First a longer shank which works as long as you are not too close to your weight limit. And, I rotated the electric jack 90 degrees. This turned the front facing overhang of the jack head sideways, giving me an extra 3 or 4 inches of clearance.
DRAGONFLY - 2011, Provan Tiger CX, on a F350, 4WD, regular cab chassis

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
If the tailgate hits the jack, the hitch is wrong for the application.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
I would prefer the trailer as snug to the TV as possible. This product still wont help me though.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
That's pretty slick. I wish I had one when I had a TT. Hated the fact that I could never drop the tailgate. Only issue would be with the elec tongue jacks you would always have to plug and unplug the jack. It would be handy to have something more than the fuse holder for that.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
Or you can make sure to always crank it up properly after it's on the hitch, and buy a slightly longer shank to allow the tail gate to open.

I can open my tail gate and I have never bent a jack.

Seems to me to be a solution in search of a problem.
Exactly ...... I bought the longer shank drawbar and always wind my jack to the stops. I agree, this was made out of stupidity, not necessity.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Might need to run a ground wire and quick disconnect for power/grd if using electric jack.. but looks interesting for sure.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
handye9 wrote:
Also, if the longer shank is too long, it changes your weight distribution.

Not by much that's noticeable. We're only talking 1 -2 inches. And that's only an issue if you're pushing the weight limit already.

As far as cost, how long will take you to put the tongue jack off and on every trip, and finding a place to store it? That's worth something too.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Campfire Time wrote:
Or you can make sure to always crank it up properly after it's on the hitch, and buy a slightly longer shank to allow the tail gate to open.

It's got nothing to do with cranking properly. The problem is, the size of the head on the electric jack, and it's much cheaper than buying a longer shank. Also, if the longer shank is too long, it changes your weight distribution.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer

Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)