cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tekonsha P3 and Electric over Hydraulic brakes

Trailblazer87
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, new member here and I have a new to me 2004 31' Toymate Toy hauler with a 2016 Chevy Crew cab Duramax as a tow rig. The truck pulls the trailer just fine but with the concern of the electric over hydraulic brakes and the factory brake controller I wired in a Tekonsha P3. The trailer has 3 axles with only 2 of them having brakes.

The problem I am having is when I apply the brakes the brake controller flashes red and shows an overload, this happens about half the time I apply the brakes. When this happens it feels like the trailer is over braking. I have watched the controller and it happens when it goes over 4.5 amps.

The settings I am using are Hydraulic, the medium setting as the trailer weighs 9000 lbs when unloaded.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
2004 31' Toymate by Automate
2016 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Wife and 2 dogs for travel companions, Blue the hound, and Ruger the Wonderhusky
9 REPLIES 9

Y-Guy
You might call Technical Service, 800-632-3290 to see if they can help you - another option at least.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Trailblazer87
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
Is the factory trailer brake control disconnected when you installed the P3?

If not, then maybe both are trying and confusing each other

I disconnected the blue wire for the factory unit and ran a new one for the P3 like in the installation guide.

I tested the manual brake lever on the P3 while sitting still and it ran up to 14 amps no problem, you can hear the hydraulic motor on the trailer tongue activate and apply pressure.

I need to get to the bottom of this because we are planning a 3500 mile tour of the western US in June. So not too much of a rush. I appreciate everyone's input on this.

Wife and 2 dogs for travel companions, Blue the hound, and Ruger the Wonderhusky

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Is the factory trailer brake control disconnected when you installed the P3?

If not, then maybe both are trying and confusing each other
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Y-Guy
Moved from Toy Haulers to Towing.

Y-Guy
Thanks, just asking to make sure. If we don't see a few more comments on this I'll move it to the Towing forum to see if others there might have some advice.

Trailblazer87
Explorer
Explorer
Yes the controller is set for hydraulic. I took the trailer back to Bill Wyrich after I bought it last year so he could go through it stem to stern. They replaced the wheel bearings and checked the brakes while they were at it. Also checked all the appliances and corrected a wiring issue with the Clearance lights. I have the controller set for the boost level 2, level 3 locked up the tires on first application of the brakes and level 1 wasn't enough.

This isn't the first bit of heavy towing I have done but a first time experience with this type of trailer brake system. I'm used to the more conventional electric trailer brakes like what we use on the ranch.

Y-Guy
Trailblazer87 did you set the controller brake type to Hydraulic? I know the P3 has a lot of settings, just making sure you've gone through the instructions carefully. Between the brake type, adjusting the power and boost can all play a factor.

Have the brakes on the trailer been inspected? With an older rig that could be another issue.

Trailblazer87
Explorer
Explorer
Blackdiamond wrote:
So are you saying the trailer has hydraulic brakes??

If not the OL on the controller is most often a bad wire or a worn magnet on the electric brakes.

Yes it electric over hydraulic brakes. I will do a continuity check on the controller wiring. Thanks for the help.

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
So are you saying the trailer has hydraulic brakes??

If not the OL on the controller is most often a bad wire or a worn magnet on the electric brakes.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater