cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

External battery charger

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
I think the charging circuit of my converter quit....can I just go to the auto parts store and buy a battery charger and use that to keep the battery's charged when plugged into power without causing any harm to any thing??
6 REPLIES 6

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Yes. 10 to 40 amps is best. 5 amps minimum. Not really a long term solution.

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
When not in use, I use a Battery Minder on my RV battery, mainly because the converter that came with my rig is a single stage battery boiler.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Yes.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to check the output of your converter/charger unit. When on shore power or generator it should read at least 13.6VDC. If it is a smart mode system then it could be in one of the smart modes and my unit might read up as high as 14.4VDC..

If the converter/charger is not not reading those higher DC voltages then it may have tripped its 120VAC Breaker in the power distribution panel or actually failed. You will also see the connected battery 12VDC voltages on the output of the converter/charger but these voltages will only read 12.6-7VDC if the battery is fully charged...

Just keep in mind the converter/charger setup is designed just for your batteries and will do the best job keeping them charged... I do have the Black & Decker vec1093dbd 40A smart mode charger I got back in 2008 for my portable charger to use.

You may also have some blown fuses between the converter/charger unit and your battery terminals as well. There will be two large rated fuses labeled REVERSE POLARITY at the converter/charger fuse panel and should also be an in-line fuse very close to the battery terminals. One of my batteries went bad on me with a shorted cell one time and blew those fuses when the converter/charger was applying charge voltages... This all happened back in 2008 when I was using a single mode 13.6VDC charger setup. Apparently it boiled out my battery fluids...

Now I use a Progressive Dynamics Converter/charger PD9260C which is a 60AMP setup with smart mode charging. No problems since then with my three other batteries since installing that unit.

Check breakers and those three DC fuses I identified before giving up on your converter/charger unit.

A new replacement converter/charger unit is easy to replace with only the AC wires and two DC wires to change over to the new unit. My converter/charger sits in the bottom compartment of the 120VAC/12VDC power distribution center.

If you do have to replace the converter/charger unit be sure to go with the smart mode units and not try to use the WFCO products that are known throughout the RV community of not working properly giving you smart mode charging voltages.. Most of us like to use the Progressive Dynamics and IOTA smart mode converter/charger products...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yup. You might get some hum on the radio or lines in the TV picture but it wont hurt anything.

Cameo_Phil
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you can do that.
2002 Carriage Cameo F35CKB
2005 Chevy 3500 LT, CCLB 6.6L Diesel 4X4