cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tested your LP detector lately?

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Two in serious condition after LP explosion destroys camper. I've driven by that CG more times than I can remember, never stayed as it's too close to home (and right next to a busy highway.)

https://upnorthlive.com/news/local/couple-hospitalized-after-camper-explosion
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
21 REPLIES 21

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had two propane detectors fail. When they start to go bad, they give false alarms. Mine went off in the middle of the night for no reason. Of course, that was traumatic and it took a while to even realize that it was just another false alarm. Now I don't fool around. I get a replacement at the first indication of a false alarm.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Just replaced mine at 8 years old. Recommended at 5 years. I think they last longer with a total battery cut-off when not in use. I did not want to wake up to a chirping alarm.

They dont thats why they print the dates on them now. They dont work as well or not at all after they expire. Most new ones will chirp when they need replacing.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Just replaced mine at 8 years old. Recommended at 5 years. I think they last longer with a total battery cut-off when not in use. I did not want to wake up to a chirping alarm.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Look on the back of the detecter it should have an end of life date. If it doesn't its too old. They usally last 7 to 10 years. Also , watch and shut off extra lropane supplies outside. Squarles like to eat the rubber hoses. I just replaced mine with Stainless steel ones. Because i had to.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
old age . they should be changed out over a period of time.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Good safety maintenance reminder.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
Mine went off at 5:30 in the morning on my last day at the campground last week. I turned off the LP at the tanks and we made the trip home. I tested all connections with both bubble solution and a gas detector and found nothing. I was still concerned enough that I bought a gas pressure gauge and tested again. No pressure loss after 3 hours. It's things like your link that make me so cautious.
I still have no idea what caused the alarm.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?